Rangers fc

It would help if you outlined what you were trying to achieve then people could see if you'd made any missteps in the execution. Your results look about right, solid against the average teams and vulnerable against the better teams. If you played this system against Bordeaux then it makes sense that they got a win and a draw against you because you midfield goes totally awol. An AP(s) roams and a BWM(s) chases the ball so there's no one protecting the back four.

A Control mentality is a nudge up from a balanced approach so the team will be a little bit more open. A Fluid setting will mean your Defend duties will take a risk or two in deviating from the mentality - asserting their own personality, your Support roles will have more licence than usual in breaking from the team mentality and your Attack duties will have a large amount of creative licence. What does all of that mean? Basically that your team is very open, very instinctive, open to improvisation and breaking from any collective considerations.

In terms of TIs I'm not sure I understand the use of Retain Possession. This discourages through-balls. Combined with Work Ball into Box, which discourages long shots and crosses, means you don't have much penetration apart from cutbacks. Kind of working against Retain Possession is Pass into Space which encourages penetrative passes, including through balls. The presence of of Be More Expressive is going to bump up the improvisation of your more Creative players which may add to a sense of chaos in transition alongside the Fluid shape.

Just some quick thoughts.

I can't give you TIs I don't know how you want to play.

You don't even need TIs. All you need is Mentality, Shape, Roles and Duties.

Mentality = Your style and the level or risk that you're willing to take. The higher the Mentality the more open and expansive you will be but it comes at the price of taking more risks.
Shape = The level of improvisation each group within your side (Defend duties, Support duties and Attack duties) will have. The lower the Shape the more Defend duties will just defend and Attack duties will just attack. The higher the Shape the more the Defend duties and Attack duties will join in the build-up creating an appearance of a more fluid and interchangeable style.
Roles = Gives each player a style that you want them to achieve their jobs with. A Winger is being told to use width to achieve penetration. An Inside Forward is being told to exploit channels to achieve penetration for example.
Duties = Relate to Shape. Defend duties instruct players to act as cover when the team attacks. Attack duties instruct players to get forward to stretch play and offer forward passes for deeper players. Support duties offer a link between the other two groups.

With that very basic information, and no talk of TIs, PIs or OIs you can draw up a very simple and effective plan.

Edit: I forgot Formation. This is your defensive shape. What you look like when you have everyone behind the ball. It only comes into play in the sense that you should consider whether it enables your side to perform the defensive and attacking jobs that you want them to do. For example a possession based style camping in the opponent's half will be a lot harder with a bottom heavy formation and a deep, counter tactic will be a lot harder to pull off with a top heavy formation. Its just common sense really.

Archived