The Men of Leith vs The Bavarian Juggernaut

accentunknown

This is a transcript from BBC Sportsound on the 15th October 2048. Narrated by BBC Journalist Will Murray

Will Murray: Hello and welcome to another Episode of this BBC Scotland series where we take a look at great European nights in Scottish Football. In this episode, we will only need to go back one year, when Hibernian faced Bayern Munich at Beckenbauer Park in the UEFA Champions League Quarter Final. All those Interviewed either Played for or coached Hibernian at the time. Unfortunately, Manager James Hawkins was unavailable to comment due to his commitments managing the Scotland Squad alongside his club duties.

Interviewed were:

• George Parnell, Goalkeeper, Welsh Internationalist
  • Mahmoud Ramadan, Defensive Midfielder, Egyptian Internationalist
  • Danny Ellis, Right and Centre Mid, Scottish U19 internationalist
  • Leonardo Fantini, Centre Midfielder, Captain and Italian Internationalist
  • Craig Brown, Striker, Scottish Internationalist
  • Alex Abel, Left Back, English Internationalist
  • Jose Luis Palomeque, Left Winger, Mexican Internationalist
  • Vijay Ward, Centre Back, Jamaican Internationalist

All interviews were conducted separately. BBC Sportsound commentary from Scott Murdoch and Barry Soane.

Leonardo Fantini: Going into the match, we were not highly rated. At all.

Craig Brown: We had scraped through against Borussia Monchengladbach, we beat them 5-2 two at home then got beat 2-0 in Germany, so we went through on Aggregate. And then to draw Bayern Munich. In both rounds we would play the only teams to win the Bundesliga since 2033. It felt like we had just survived against the toughest guy in the pub and then his bodybuilding mate walks in and charges at you.

George Parnell: I remember just thinking, that I was going to be very, very busy in the first game. And I was.

Murdoch: Thank you for joining us this evening as we provide you live coverage of this Champions League Quarter Final Match between Bayern Munich. I’m Scott Murdoch and This is Former Hibs and Scotland striker Barry Soane.

Barry Soane: Hi it’s a pleasure to be here.

Murdoch: Now we have an hour to kick-off and the line-ups have just come through, and by the looks of things Hawkins has sprung some surprises Barry How do you think Hibernian will line-up?

Soane: Well it looks like that instead of the 4-2-3-1 Hawkins prefers, it’s looks like it’s a 4-1-4-1 a. very defensive line-up. The goalkeeper and the defence is obvious. Parnell in Goal. Bonnassiolle on the Right. Ward and Francisco at Centre Back, with Alex Abel on the left. Mahmoud Ramadan in the Defensive Midfield Role...

Mahmoud Ramadan: I was given a great honour by Mr. Hawkins. Leo (Leonardo Fantini) and Franny (Francisco) May have been the Captain and Vice-Captain, but Hawkins had made me, Mahmoud Ramadan, in charge of the hole between defence and midfield. Now he told me “Rama, if you fail in this job, the team itself will crumble.”

Soane: Captain Leonardo Fantini will line up in the midfield alongside Ricardo Rocha. Jose Luis Palomeque starts on the left. Craig Brown goes up front. And on the right, it’s 17-year-old. Danny Ellis…

Danny Ellis: The Gaffer pulled me in on the Sunday before the game. He told me to take a seat. And to be honest I thought he was going to tell me that he would be letting me go. I mean I had played in the League Cup Final, against Alloa were we won 3-0, but in my mind, I was still thinking that he was sending me off to waste away in League 1 or something. But then he told that, because Benji (Benjamin Jeannin) was Injured, I was starting, and that was probably even worse! I mean, to go from playing against Alloa, to Bayern, one of the greatest clubs in the world, was certainly interesting.

Fantini: The plan was for the FC Bayern to over apply men and pressure, then we would hit them on the counter-attack. Instead…

Murdoch: Zochlov plays the ball to Zaldivar who tries a shot on the edge of box! Which is saved and then Caught by George Parnell.

Fantini: ...We just sat back. We couldn’t counter because we couldn’t get the ball. I don’t think Broony got a touch on it.

Brown: I just had to watch from the halfway line. I might as well have been with the away fans!

Murdoch: Hugo Lamela heads the ball down to Zochlov! Blocked by Palomeque! And the header from Zochlov again, goes out for goal kick

Soane: Hibs need to come back into this match, it’s been 12 minutes, Bayern have had 5 shots, and Hibs have had none, they’re playing far too defensive.

Murdoch: Luis Filipe storming down the left Wing, and that’s a cynical starts laughing challenge by Alex Abel, the referee has given a free kick. He’s somehow not going to book him. And Filipe’s not happy, and neither are the Supporters.

Alex Abel: I think all of us conceded about three fouls each, except from me who maybe conceded 7? Maybe more, so I was the only one who got booked, and to be honest I probably should have been sent off. The referee was certainly kind to us that day.

Murdoch: That’s a Dangerous ball in from Somoza- Great tackle by Ward and the ball is pounced on by Fili-But he’s taken out by Francisco! Wow, great last gasp defending by the Hibees.

Soane: Aye, the ball came in on the left from Somoza, it fell almost perfectly to Chrysagis, he pulled his foot back, and that just gave Ward the space to slide in. There was some confusion, Filipe came in from a tight angle on the right, and Francisco was just there to take the ball away from him, allowing Bonnassiolle to clear it to Ellis.

Murdoch: Bayern on the attack again, Esparza bombing down the wing, Abel can’t keep up. Crosses the ball in, Met by CHRYSAGIS! Blocked by Parnell, the ball’s up in the air!... And the Goalkeeper punches it behind the goal. Corner.

Vijay Ward: The number of corners we conceded was… ridiculous.

Murdoch: Rocha takes the ball from Bonnassiolle, but he’s tackled by Somoza! Zaldivar is through… and that’s another fantastic tackle by Vijay Ward, and he and Francisco are earning their wages today. It’s another corner.

Murdoch: Zaldivar has the ball here, and slices the Defence in two! Somoza shoots! Saved by Parnell! And cleared by Bonnassiolle, taking out Filipe in the process. Another close scare for Hawkins and Hibernian.

Murdoch: And that’s half time. An intense match so far Barry.

Soane: Yeah, it’s been a great performance defensively by Hibs but the attackers need to be doing better, Brown has been poor, barely had a touch of the ball. And Palomeque, he looks fuming coming off there, Fantini’s gone to have a word with him.

Fantini: Jose was furious, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him like that.

Jose Luis Palomeque: I am an attacking player who was asked to do the job of a defender. I am not Abel, I am not a… a Francisco. But I was asked to do their job anyway.

Brown: I couldn’t blame him the guy for being angry. We had maybe spent two or so minutes in the oppositions half, which, if you’re an attacking player, is not what you want, at all.

Ward: The Gaffer came in, simply told us “more of the same”. Then walked out again. Jose got up and stormed after him

Palomeque: I asked, what I was expected to do if we kept playing defensively? Mr. Hawkins simply looked at me, and said two things. The first thing he said was “Run”, and he turned to leave, but then he pointed to the Bayern Right Back, Robin Chapuis, who for some reason wasn’t in their changing room. He pointed to him, and said “and make him mad.”

Murdoch: Brown and Fantini will get the game kick off, and pass it back to Vijay Ward.

Murdoch: Kochlov wins the physical battle with Fantini, plays the ball on the left to Somoza… first time pass to… CHRYSAGIS! Great save by Parnell! Well we’re only three minutes into the second half and it looks like more of the same.

Murdoch: Palomeque has the ball here…

Soane: Laughs

Murdoch: Well… Palomeque nutmegged Chapuis before he got Laughs slightly thoroughly slide tackled by Leparza. And uh… Chapuis does not look happy, he looks very embarrassed.

Murdoch: Hibs are enjoying a rare moment of possession here. Ramadan plays it through to Craig Brown, what can he do with ball…

Brown: I got the ball on the halfway line, and could hear “Craig!”, “Craig!”, and could see Jose, Tomato faced, screaming at me and sprinting down the wing, I leaned back and kicked it up over their right winger’s head…

Murdoch: The ball is lobbed over to Palomeque...

Palomeque: I got the ball, and I did what I was told.

Murdoch: Who is going to run with it down the wing here, Somoza has given up, the Mexican has got to the edge of the box… PENALTY! He was brought down by Chapuis inside the penalty area, and the Right Back is absolutely furious, but it looked like a penalty to me.

Soane: Clear Penalty.

Murdoch: Surprisingly, he’s not even getting booked, but that was a terrible challenge.

Brown: We saw our chance and took it.

Palomeque: I got up and went to pick up the ball to give it to Leo.

Ward: Francisco and I knew that if this went in, the barrage was only going to get worse.

Murdoch: It falls to the captain, Leonardo Fantini to take. The Italian has a great record from the spot.

Ref blows his whistle

Murdoch: Can he score here?... Saved!

Home Fans cheer

Murdoch: But It’s gone in! Rodrigues palmed it away onto the post…

Silence, then small cheering can be heard which is quickly drowned by booing

Murdoch: …And it has rolled over the line! And in a sea of red, a glimmer of green and white is in delight!

Brown: When I saw that… the keeper had saved it; my head fell into my hands… then all the cheering from the home fans just died and turned into booing, and I thought “What’s gone on here?”

Fantini: I just saw it had gone in, saw that our support was just in on corner to the left of me, and sprinted towards them.

Ramadan: We had gotten the goal. Now I, with the help of Franny and Vijay, had to stop Bayern from getting theirs.

Brown: After the celebrations, I ran back for kick-off, and saw the 4th official had flashed my number and that Shoe (Bobby Schumacher) was coming on for me, I tell you what, I’ve never been so pleased to come off in my life. I knew I was doing nothing for the rest of the match but tire myself. I was glad for the rest!

Murdoch: Esparza, Lays it back to Luis Filipe! And that is an easy save by Parnell, it was straight at him.

Parnell: People have said that, it was my greatest performance. I mean, it was only because I had so many shots coming at me. Most of them were poor as well, straight at my chest, and ones like that.

Murdoch: Parnell will wait for everyone to get back in position, Hibs are in no rush here…

Ellis: As I took my position, Esparza, their left back went alongside me. And he had been trying to push me around most of the match, but even though he was older than me, I was taller, and stronger so uh… I guess he had just gotten sick of it.

Murdoch: …He’s finally going to kick the ball back up to the halfway line, and Ellis and Esparza are in a bit of a physical battle there…

Ellis: We both went up at the same time, and I felt something hit me in the nose.

Murdoch: …Well. Ellis has gone down in pain, and from what we can see Esparza elbowed him as they went up for the header. Rocha has sprinted in, he is furious with the Bayern Full Back. The other players have joined in here. Fantini and Lamela, the two captains are trying to split this up, trying to calm their teammates down. The linesman has taken Ellis out of the way. The Referee has come over… everything appears to be calming down. Esparza is being called over… He’s off! It’s a red card for the left back! And there is no complaints from any of his teammates, and it’s a long walk to the other side of the pitch for the Frenchman.

Ellis: I was just covering my face, I was in so much pain. I felt someone drag me off, turn out it was the linesman, and I just lay there until I heard the voice of our physio.

Fantini: I saw it happen with my own eyes, and my instincts was to go to the ref and say, “you going to say send this guy off?” then I saw Ricky (Ricardo Rocha) explode and charge at the Bayern player, I knew it was going to be difficult for me. Luckily Hugo, their captain, to his credit, wasn’t happy with his teammates, just as I wasn’t happy with mine.

Ellis: So, yeah that was the end of the match for me. laughs

Murdoch: both Lines and Marcelinho are ready to come on, the former is coming on for Ellis who will take his time coming off, and Palomeque will come off for the Brazilian Centre back… Hibernian will finish the match without wingers, and 5 at the back.

Fantini: We didn’t have anyone on the bench who could play on the right wing… the change made sense. And there was only ten minutes of the game left to go…

Murdoch: Parnell, takes the goal-kick… and the referee blows his whistle for full time! Hibernian have ridden their luck here, but when they had their opportunity, Leonardo Fantini stepped up and took it!

Brown: When the final whistle went, my first thought was, “we’ve stolen this!”

Ramadan: Our goal was to defend and counter. We defended, and we saw our chance to counter, we did. We achieved our goals, and won the match.

Fantini: I was just focused getting my teammates ready for the next match in the league and obviously the return fixture.

Murray: So, they had won the away match, now it was back to Easter Road for the 2nd leg. Could they do it?

Fantini: To be honest, I don’t think they expected us to change tactics. Away we had played very defensively, so they lined-up to counter that. But we had gone back to the 4-2-3-1 we always played, which they clearly were not ready for.

Murdoch: Abel play a sideways ball to Gayle, low cross to an overlapping Palomeque… Goal! One nil Hibernian, and they’ve deserved this, they’ve been all over the Germans here!

Murdoch: Gayle will take this Corner here, ball goes up, Ward gets to it… 2-0! Great cross from the Englishman, and the Jamaican gives a great header to going along with it. Surely now, the Scottish team are through to the semi-finals.

Murdoch: Full time! Hibs are through to the semis, what a performance that has been from the Scottish side. They are in the UEFA Champions League semi-finals for the first time in their history!

Murray: They were through, and the next round would prove even more difficult, as it was Spanish juggernauts, Real Madrid who came out of the pot. Could they do the Unthinkable all over again?

Murdoch: Palomeque with a great run driving his team forward, he’s in the box. Oh my God! Hibernian 1 Real Madrid 0! What a fine goal from Jose Luis Palomeque, he sprinted down into the box, put the ball through Bousmaha, the right back’s legs, and just cheekily dinked the ball over the keeper. 12 minutes gone, and Hibs are ahead!

Murdoch: Boukadida, crosses the ball into Schug, who’s lost his man and that’s a goal. 1 all. Well, Ward really should’ve done better there but it was a good header from the Swiss Striker, and that’s why he’s considered the best striker in the World.

Murdoch: Hibs are on the counter here, Jeaninn has beaten his man for pace on the right side, crosses it into the box… Goal! Headed in by Craig Brown. The little striker has leapt higher than the towering Madrid Centre halfs and put’s green and white of Edinburgh back in front.

Murdoch: Guerin has the ball here, plays a through ball… straight through centre… and that’s 2-2. Schug pounced on it. Francisco and Ward were caught napping, along with Parnell.

Murdoch: Only 2 minutes gone since the equaliser, can Madrid strike twice in quick successi- yes, they can! Schug gets on a low cross from Ivkovic, and slots past Parnell. And the Hibernian defence are having a nightmare of a second half, and they’ve left the rest of the team with a mountain to climb in this game, and in the second leg

Murdoch: Schug is through again! Saved but the rebound’s put in… four goals from the Switzerland striker, a masterclass from him tonight.

Murdoch: Palomeque, in the box, passes… to Brown! They’ve got a goal back here, that could be very important in the return fixture!

Murdoch: That’s it. A spirited performance from Hawkins’ Hibernian. But it simply wasn’t enough.

Murray: Unfortunately, they couldn’t turn it around at Conte Park, losing 1-0. Despite these results, this Hibernian should still hold their heads up in pride, becoming only the second Scottish team since Dundee United in 1984, to reach the Semi-Finals of the Champions League. Now with a new season, could they go further, Well I for one can’t wait to find out. From me, and everyone at BBC Sportsound. Please, have a nice evening.

Archived