FM 2017 | Window Resolution - 4K?

Hello. I have a new Dell XPS 15 laptop: 4K screen, i7 processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD - A machine with a spec good enough to handle Football Manager with ease.

However, this is far from the truth. I find it almost impossible to play FM as the fans go into overdrive and the whole system will start stuttering/freezing before long.

Since the laptop has a 4K screen, I'm wondering whether this is causing the game to be virtually unplayable? If you see the attached screenshot, the in-game preferences give me an option to either play in windowed mode, or full screen (3840 x 2160).

I always play FM in windowed mode, but does this mean the game will therefore have a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (4K)? If so, I imagine the need to render 4x the pixels is causing the game to run slow. How can I run the game in a lower windowed resolution if the game does not give me the option.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

FM4K.jpg

One item you haven't mentioned is the graphics card, what do you have installed & have your laptop's display settings to ensure you're running FM on that card?

5 minutes ago, Barside said:

One item you haven't mentioned is the graphics card, what do you have installed & have your laptop's display settings to ensure you're running FM on that card?

Apologies. I'm not the most technically minded when it comes to graphics. Hopefully these attachments will explain my current setup...

XPS15_Graphics.jpg

Nvidia.jpg

23 hours ago, McClane29 said:

I always play FM in windowed mode, but does this mean the game will therefore have a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (4K)? If so, I imagine the need to render 4x the pixels is causing the game to run slow. How can I run the game in a lower windowed resolution if the game does not give me the option.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

When in windowed mode you can grab the corners of the window and resize it that way, if the window is maximised you'll first need to click the double square icon in the top right hand corner of the screen then you should be able to resize it.

Though this will only likely stop the fans kicking in on the match screens, as outside of that the game is processor intensive and processor load isn't likely to be affected by screen size.

Archived