Question on Home Grown Status.

qDizzy

I read that a team needs to have 8 nation grown Status players and 4 club grown to compete in Champions League. My question is, how come Manchester City was able to compete with the following team this year...

Goalkeepers: 
Claudio Bravo, Willy Caballero 

Defenders: 
Bacary Sagna, Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Aleksandar Kolarov, Gael Clichy, John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi 

Midfielders: 
Fernando, Raheem Sterling, Yaya Toure, Jesus Navas, Kevin De Bruyne, Fabian Delph, Leroy Sane, David Silva, Fernandinho 

Attackers: 
Nolito, Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus 

You can also google search: "MAN CITY SUBMIT CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SQUAD" (the first link), and you will see the lineup there also, as well as other information. 

Perhaps I have the rules mixed up, or maybe there was a change from last year to this year's rule; but in any event I don't see any club grown players in this line-up. I see Kelechi Iheanacho (club grown) listed in team B in the article mentioned above, and at this point I am confused as to what I need to have for my team in FM 17 and how Man City was able to compete in UEFA; would like some clarification, thanks. 

here is the link to the article above, from ManCity.com 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mancity.com/news/first-team/first-team-news/2017/february/manchester-city-submit-uefa-champions-league-squad%3Famp%3D1

The trained in nation and trained at club can be the same person.

Someone who qualifies for trained at club automatically qualifies as trained in nation. It's generally eight players in total not 8 + 4.

Four trained at club will also be four of your trained in nation so you only need another four trained in nation.

The Champions League squad registration is up to 25 players including a minimum of two goalkeepers. If you don't have enough trained at club or trained in nation players then you simply register less players.

If you only had five trained in nation instead of eight then you can only register 22 players and leave the 3 spaces in the squad to cover the shortages.

In real life, players under 20 who have been eligible to play for the club for an uninterrupted two years will be registered on list B (such as Iheanacho). You can register as many people on list B up to 24 hours prior to a match.

In FM, it advises you that players under 20 who have been with the club for two years don't need to be registered in the Champions League squad (you can still play them).

Man City registered 21 players as they were four players short of the requirements. Am guessing Stones, Sterling and Delph were classed as trained in nation with Clichy the fourth having signed for Arsenal at 18 so would also be classed as trained in nation.

That left City four short of the trained in club number but that four would automatically be trained in nation too so this is why they could only register 21 players to allow for the missing four players.

I'm playing as Everton and only have five trained in nation so I can only register 22 players. I have quite a few regens who are under 20 and been with me for two years so in truth, my Champions League players to pick from is about 30 players.

Duds

lol... oh man, boy did i look in tons of places online to get an understanding of this.... first time player here... thanks duds for your response... very helpful

now u did bring something up i actually had a question on also, but maybe you can help clarify as well... ok I will put it in the way i understand it as now (it's probably wrong) but just to keep it in a simple format... and hopefully you or anyone else can correct me where im wrong...

rules for eligiblity for champions or the euros...

1. you can have a total of 25 players but 8 need to have a home grown status for nation and out of the 8, 4 need to have home grown status for club (and by default if club grown they will also be nation home grown since trained at club).

2. so if u have no home grown players the max amount of players you will be allowed to register for the tournemnt is 17. if you have 4 nation grown players then you can then have up to 21. in order to register any more players the next 4 need to be club grown players for a total of 25.

3. a player needs to be 3 years in the nation (weather at your club or diffrent club in the nation) consecutively between the ages of 15 - 21 to achieve home-grown for nation status (even if loaned to another club within the same nation as long as he is consecutively in the nation during the 3 year span)

4. a player needs to be 3 years in the club (irregardless if hes in the "under 23/21/18 squads") in total between the ages of 15 - 21 to achieve home-grown for club status. The player can be loaned out but will not count towards "home-grown status for club". If the player is loanded out, but in-between 15-21 years of age still spends 3 years in your club (even if not consecutive) he will qualify for home-grown status for club.

5. a player can still count as a home-grown player for club if he: (A) has spent 2 years in your club and (B) is 20 years old or younger.

Age Scenario question:

Considering the player must have 3 years of time at club to qualify as home grown status..

would a player still qualify if he is 18 years old and turns 19 after due-date of (6/28) for example (7/2) and you get the player in the winter window...

for example: 18 year old : winter season.... 19 year old: summer & winter season. 20 year old: summer & winter season. 21 year old: summer season... isnt that a total of 3 years???

i now im probably worng here but just throwing it out there. PS how come due date for some players is 6/27 and for others its 6/28 ??? and where does the due date come from???  is it like the end of the season or the start of the transfer window??? or the end of a contract period???

and perhaps someone can simpify the age thing. preferably like a chart with age and birthday...  or perhaps just word it very simple. so one can understand when is the latest a player can join a club and like, how late/early can his birthday be....

thanks for anyone's help... would be greatly appreciated by me and im sure anyone else with this question... totally a newbie so any help is really really apprciated.... and thanks alot again duds... defintly helped clarify alot for me....

i will try and simpilfy all the info into a nice list... towards the end of this post once i feel i got all the facts straight for anyone else that might have a question about home grown status and age requirments.... and bumb into this post...

cheers

Hello qDizzy, I believe it is exactly three calendar years so a player signed on 04/07/2017 would qualify on 03/07/2020.

I think but I am not sure that if a player earns qualification once registration has been completed, you need to wait until the next registration window (beginning of February) to include them in the squad.

That's what I think but I am not 100% on the interpretation.

Duds

ahhh fair enough.... really gonna try to post something on making the game better thread.... like... perhaps some better clarification as to eligibility and age recuirments and stuff... a bit confusing

but thanks for that... well im going to leave it at that for now... hopefully some1 post something here or points us to another thread with some more info.... i couldnt find 1, thats y i started this 1.... 

cheers duds

pardon to bumb into my own post... i just did some reading around and think i have a clue about a home grown's player age limt.... (i was actually thinking to myself perhaps there was a work around if you get a player in the winter window if he is 18 - to my knowledge the answer is no)

for any1 a bit confused about the latest you can get a player into the club and still qualify for Champions or euros or wateva is:    

17 years and 364 days old (irregardless if you get the player summer or winter transfer window.... u literally have to get him in your club before he turns 18.   lololol im guessng even if your neogating for a player 2 days before he turns 18 and you dont get him in before his bday... then he wont count as home grown (Not too sure what happens if u get him literally on his bday....)

PS another intresting thought is... if u loan with an option to buy at 17 and at 18 you buy him.... i think he still will count as home grown... but im rather new to the game so i probally stay way from that 1 as well as getting him on the day of his 18 bday... had a hard enough time trying to understand what i think i understand now.... lol... pretty sure but definetly engourage others to read around other post and not just take my word for it.... good luck guys...

cheers

PS pardon da typos

I think it will affect the status.

If he goes on loan to another club from the same country, he can still qualify for 'trained in nation' but I think he wouldn't count as 'trained at club'.

hey femizzle

from what i understand (and im pretty sure about this from other posts i read) there is a differnce between how a club qualifys for a "home grown player for a club" and a "home grown player for a nation". i will describe the 2 below...

home grown player for nation: the player has to play in nation for 3 years in a row. he can play for any club in that nation but cant leave the nation. here is an example to hopefully help you undertsand.

say you have a 15 year old player and he spends 1 year in your club based in england. he then will have 1 year of home grown status completed for nation. now lets say you loan him for a year to a club in spain the next year at the age of 16. his "home grown status for nation" will reset and start counting towards spain for that year. the next year you get him back at your club at age of 17, and spends a year in your club. his "home grown status for nation" will be reset again, and stop counting towards spain, and now count towards england. by the end of the year he will have 1 year of home grown status of for england completed. now the next year (your player is now 18) lets say you loan him to another club in england. because you loan him to another club that is still in england his "home grown status for nation" wont be reset, and will still count to his home grown status for nation, being england. now lets say he spends a whole year there, after the year is over he will have 2 years comleted for home grown status at age 19. you can then choose to keep him in your club or loan him to another club in england the following year; and at the end of that year he will have completed 3 years in a row at england, and there for he now qualfies as a "home grown player for england" by the age of 20.

Home grown player for club: for a player to qualify for a home grown player for club, he will have to spend a total of 3 years (does not have to be in a row) in your club (time spent in u23/u21/u18 sqauds still count. time spent on loan to another club does not count. so heres another example maybe to help you uderstand...

say u have 15 year old player, he spends 1 year in your club in england (Chelsea lets say). then the next year at 16 he spends 1 year in italy on loan (AC milian lets say). the next year at 17 he spends it back in your club Chelsea for a year. then the next year at 18 he spends a year in spain on loan (barcelona fc lets say) then the next year at 19 he spends a year back in Chelsea. then the next year at 20 you send him on loan again to barcelona. here is what you will have... he spent a total of 3 years in your club so he qualifies as a "home grown player for your club" , but beacuse he didnt spend 3 years in a row in england, he wont count as "home grown player for england". now, lets say instead of loaning him to AC millan when he was 16 you would have loaned him to a club in england like aston villa (altough aston villa is not in the premier league they are still based in engalnd) becasue he spent 1 year in Chelsea, then 1 year in aston villa, then 1 year in Chelsa again, at that point he would have qualified to be a "nation home grown player for england"... and of course he then spent 1 year in barcelona and then another again in chelsea.... at which point he would now have been both "club home grown player for chelsea and nation home grown player for england"

side note... some times you can get a player in your club who already has spent sometime in your nation, giving him a head start on "home grown for nation status. if you want to check a player home grown status you can go you his information and it will say the nations or clubs (it is possible to be a home grown player for 2 diffrent clubs or nation) he is elgibale for. if he is 21 or younger it will show how much more time is needed to spend at club or nation untill he become eleigable. you can also add home grown status to a coloum to see all your players and see who is home grown. and if u want to see a list of all your players 21years old or younger you can add a coloum that says "due date" under the heading "general" i believe. this will show if and when any players u have 21 or younger will become eligble for either nation or club.

cheers mate... hope that helps... good luck gaming, and also thanks again duds...  

Archived