Football League Financial Help

I have an FC United save going and over the first two years, we've won back-to-back league titles and have won promotion to League 2. Now that we're moving to the Football League, I have a few questions.

The club is turning professional at the end of the season. Will all of my players need to sign new full-time contracts? Would that include players I no longer want? Almost everyone is signed through next season because I never imagined we'd get promoted again. I've read up a lot, but I've only played FM for a short time and have never transfer listed a player who's not already unhappy. How much can I kill morale by transfer listing players? I have a few players on non-contracts as well. They made the step up to the Conference (despite what their scouting reports say), and I'd like to keep them around as cover. Is that going to be possible? Will my current part-time players require/demand big wage increases when switching to full-time deals? Will I have the option of leaving them part-time?

Basically, I'm nervous about money and how to stay up. We had one of the lower budgets in the Conference (spending just under 9k pounds a week), and I can about double the wage budget and have about 50k pounds of transfer budget for signing-on fees and miscellaneous stuff, but I need to know how much turning professional will do to my wage budget so I can plan properly.

Non contract still exists when you turn professional with the existing players, I'm not sure if you can sign new ones to them though, but when I got promoted into the league with margate, I contracted my "key players" (gk, cb, cm, st in my case) and left the rest as non contract.

Be careful though, don't make the same mistake I did because in non league you don't have ffp, when you hit the league you do, so finances become a bigger issue. 

41 minutes ago, Mrlee.1986 said:

Non contract still exists when you turn professional with the existing players, I'm not sure if you can sign new ones to them though, but when I got promoted into the league with margate, I contracted my "key players" (gk, cb, cm, st in my case) and left the rest as non contract.

Be careful though, don't make the same mistake I did because in non league you don't have ffp, when you hit the league you do, so finances become a bigger issue. 

Anywhere I can see all of the rules? I've seen there is financial fair play, but I have zero idea how it works. Can you leave players on part-time deals?

I might be wrong on this but I believe part time deals as a professional club are not possible. I'm not sure what the contracts change to though and if it's auto or not.

As for the rules, it should be - league 2 - overview - rules.  

i read this and it helped a little http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

simplified it basically says you can only spend 55% of your turnover (sponsorship,  match day income & tv) on wages - so for every £1000 you make, you can spend £550 on wages.

29 minutes ago, Mrlee.1986 said:

I might be wrong on this but I believe part time deals as a professional club are not possible. I'm not sure what the contracts change to though and if it's auto or not.

As for the rules, it should be - league 2 - overview - rules.  

i read this and it helped a little http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

simplified it basically says you can only spend 55% of your turnover (sponsorship,  match day income & tv) on wages - so for every £1000 you make, you can spend £550 on wages.

Thanks for the confirmation...I poked around and found the League 2 rules. We turned professional a few days ago, and now I can only sign players and staff to full-time deals but no current contracts seem to be impacted. It's supposed to be fully completed by the end of next season, and we have no contracts (besides mine) that run past that date. Players now are at a minimum 160 p/w as that's the minimum requirement in every English league for a full-time player. Staff are asking around 450 p/w instead of 200 p/w, and I'm not sure how different player contracts will be. We also just took out a one million pound loan to expand the stadium to meet League 2 requirements. It's all very exciting and not just a little scary as, if we get this wrong, our comfortable financial situation could be ruined. With a turnover of almost three million last year, we could spend over 31,000 in wages. We won't spend 2/3 of that, and I expect we'll make more money this season with higher season ticket prices and a slightly higher attendance on the year due to the stadium expansion and maybe higher TV and sponsorship deals.

Yeah in real life. players and staff will generally ask for more on full time contracts because most of the lower league players/staff have "other jobs" outside football which is their main source of income. 31,000 sounds about right though, I think mine was 27k. The main issue with contracts I found was that your scouts and your own judgement will be needed a lot more now because it's difficult to shift the players who are worthless to you, and as you said, financial management is difficult enough without making mistakes and buying pants players. 

But after re-reading and now noticing that you are managing fc united, you should be able to pick up a few decent loan deals from the clubs around you, like united and city, plus Oldham, bury, Rochdale etc. 

Archived