Controlling the Midfield

I'm wanting to know if there are any particular strategies for better midfield control. Obviously occupation of the midfield is very important, which is why we usually see at least three midfielder formations, but if control of the centre of the pitch is so important, why do we not see more uses of formations that place four or five midfielders at the expense of the flanks?

Formation wise, take the 4-2-3-1 wide vs the 4-3-2-1 as an example, because of the 5 vs 3 advantage the 4-3-2-1 has, shouldn't it in theory allow an advantage over the opponent before other, more defining factors are plugged in?

Are there any good examples of midfield control strategy? Regardless of the midfield we know the four main responsibilities the midfielders have - are there particular ways to focus on controlling the midfield area of play?

Are there any good articles on midfield control? I'd love to find out more about this topic!

There are tons of factors, pitch length and width, TI's play narrow, retain the ball and dribble less, PI's short passing, PPM's plays short simple passes. Then you have to factor formation shape and roles you could potentially make the Brazil box using all four set to play makers, two DLP's one of D and one on S then two AP's one on S and the other on A.

That's what I've been trying to accomplish with a 442 narrow diamond (also a 4313) in the prem (fm2015) but I sometimes seem to struggle vs aggressive 4231 where they press high and overlap fullback, I might be strong in the center, but two closing central mods a d overlapping fullbacks cause havoc. Especially away from home 

Archived