Scouting with Promotion in mind

Just a question in regards on how people take an approach to their scouting if they believe they will be promoted at the end of the season. I have just entered April and currently managing Walsall in League 1. Im currently second and bar a Spurs level of bottling ill be promoted. Currently the board only allow for 4 scouts and due to the clubs reputation they are not amazing and scouting assignements take a while and dont really uncover great players. Assuming with promotion to the Championship the Board will open scouting further than the current Uk & Ireland or at least let me bring in more scouts. 

How would people normally approach a situation like this, I would like to get my reports in as quick as possible but will have to start next season surely as both my range could be increased and scout reports will judge ability based on league one. Is there any decent tips on how to get available options in?

I'd scout a bunch of fringe players from Championship teams who I think may be interested in joining my team.

Then I'd make a shortlist of youngster from EPL teams who I think may be interested in joining my team on loan.

I'd complete my roster by mid-July with foreign players, when I have a clear view of my squad's strenghts and weaknesses, my transfer budget, what's expected from my team, etc.

I'm very much in agreement with @sirgiorgio here.

I often approach the transfer window in the same manor and also look at teams heading down from the Championship as players may be looking for a way straight back up. (sirgiorgio may include/mean this with the fringe players but just covering).

Also, I am normally always keeping an eye on who's contracts will be expiring in the summer around the leagues. No harm in swooping in for a nice little freebie!

19 hours ago, Felix Wilkie said:

I often approach the transfer window in the same manor and also look at teams heading down from the Championship as players may be looking for a way straight back up. (sirgiorgio may include/mean this with the fringe players but just covering).

Yeah, never had any luck with them :) maybe I'm aiming too high, but usually relegated teams don't want to sell, or if they're forced to, players attract offers from better teams than mine... It's probably easier to buy players from teams relegated from the EPL: they may want to offload some dead weight, but of course their wages might pose a problem for a newly-promoted team.

As for contracts expiring (in England), I usually act fast, making offers before the players can discuss terms with other teams, to reduce (hopefully get rid of) competition.

Archived