Miami Vice: Beckham Has Landed

argento

David Beckham finally launched his Miami franchise but it wouldn’t to be in the MLS, although the league has risen in popularity over the years and attendances were strong foreign interest was in decline, the Chinese Super League throwing money around and becoming a more lucrative options and MLS clubs were struggling to attract the same calibre of talent.  The MLS needed a revamp, needed to become fresher it needed some risks.  After months of speculation It was unanimously passed that the MLS would have its final expansion as it joined forces with the other domestic leagues to become a three tier system.  The MLS would be a 22 team competition with the bottom 4 getting relegated to the newly crowned American League One whilst the top 4 would qualify for the CONACAF Champions League Group Stage.  In the American League One the top 3 will qualify to the MLS automatically whilst 4th-7th will contest in some play offs and the bottom 3 of the 22 team league would be relegated. In the final tier the top 3 of the 20 team division will achieve promotion although there is no relegation.

Miami would not just receive one franchise but 2, Maldini’s Miami who are managed by his compatriot Alessandro Nesta were already formed and operational and were placed in the newly formed American League One, Beckham had to move quick to get his side registered and due to his contributions in helping to grow the sport was given the final berth available in the bottom division American League Two.  Other sides complained about the preferential treatment given but it added some glamour and prestige to the competition.

The Vice play in Blue and yellow reminiscent of Argentine side Boca Juniors and whilst they didn’t have their history many local residents hoped they may share their fortune.  Whilst Beckham was the owner he was more of a figurehead, much akin to his Queen, their to wave, smile, nod and inspire and as such he needed his prime minister.  Up steps Christopher Taylor, Chris had long been involved in American Soccer and has ties to Miami back to when the Fusion where in operation and he had to move quickly and efficiently to effectively get a full club operational on a time scale that defied reason.

A head coach was needed, well in fact a full staff roster was needed.  Edson Buddle was chosen to lead. It would be his first role as head coach. A stalwart of the MLS having represented 5 different clubs over his career as well as a short period in Germany for Ingolstadt and although a well recognized name he failed to gain much International acclaim as he achieved 11 caps scoring 3 times.including a brace in a friendly against Australia perhaps being his crown achievement with the National side.  His appointment failed to grab the fans and it would ultimately fail to lure any big names to the new American League Two with Iker Casillas deciding he would remain in Europe with Porto, Schweinsteiger would fight for his place in Manchester and as the list carried on so did the excuses.  Buddle put the disappointment behind him at this setback and built an organised side, he started well with back to back wins and whist they were unspectacular they were winning and that for now was enough, but as the wins dried up so did the support in the stands and behind the scenes.

After 28 games Buddle’s brief foray into management was over after he was let go. Vice despite being early favourites for the title were lying in 8th place and Buddle’s last game in charge a 2-1 defeat at Rio Grande Valley Toros was the final straw, 11 points off league leaders St Louis and 5 points off the top 3, the minimum requirement for promotion was not good enough. So with 10 games left an executive decision was made by Chris Taylor that if they were going to get promoted they needed a change and that change was needed now.  With the franchise floundering a new man and a new direction was needed and with games coming thick and fast as the freshman year of the new system comes to an end a replacement was needed quickly.

It was announced that the decision wasn’t taken lightly and Taylor thanked Buddle for his work in building the initial squad but they needed a leader to take this young side to the heights required,  Bob Bradley was touted as a possible successor as Vice were known to have deep pockets, Beckham had a long storied career and as such a lot of big names were thrown around in the press. Laurent Blanc a former teammate who had just finished up a spell in charge of PSG was considered a frontrunner while another name mentioned was Ryan Giggs who was looking to take up his first head coach role.  Taylor said an appointment was imminent and that there has been no shortage in applicants.

Argento Appointed Manager

Christopher Taylor paraded his new appointment in front of the assembled media to some shocks and surprise.  It was a big name in football as promised even if it wasn’t on the shortlist originally thought to be interviewed.  

Diego Argento at just 31 was now the youngest manager in the United States.  His career had ended in 2014 and after retirement moved swiftly into coaching.  His career began in his native Uruguay where he joined Nacional and at 16 was already in the first team winning the league title once and after just 2 years he moved to Europe to join giants Real Madrid he was incidentally at the club at the same time as Beckham although their paths didn’t cross, after a dismal season in the B Team he returned to South America.  He rebuilt his career as he stepped back into a holding midfield role for Velez Sarsfield winning another title and gaining some International recognition, 3 years in Argentina saw him develop his talent enough to secure a move again to Europe.

Learning his lesson Argento moved to FC Kobenhavn the Danish side paying over $4M for his services and he was a big part of the clubs success in their 2008/2009 double winning season, it would be his last as he switched to Portugal and Benfica where he won another double, he was also a big player in his Country's exploits in South Africa as they achieved a very credible 4th place, he didn’t grab the headlines but his job wasn’t to but it did earn him some recognition as he was courted by Diego Simeone.

Argento fitted into the Atletico team straight away and showed an array of passing skills and began to venture forward more under the watchful eye of Simeone and he had considerable success winning La Liga, Europa League, European Super Cup and the Copa Del Rey.  His crowning glory would of been the Champions League but Ramos injury time strike forced injury time and then a rampant Real ended Atleticos dreams and broke the fans hearts.  He then jetted off to Brazil for the World Cup in which he would play his final game.  Although Uruguayan through and through he has a English mother and cruelly his last game would be against his mother's homeland as he was stretchered off in their 2-1 win as he has earned the last of his 52 caps.  Stretchered off in tears he would not lace his boots up again.

Simeone had grown fond of his midfield general and as he was still under contract he was given a job to coach the kids, Argento threw himself headfirst into his new position and soon he was helping the first team, taking place alongside Simeone in the dugout at the San Siro for a repeat of the 2014 final and after this time successfully seeing out extra time he watched Atletico fall short again this time on penalties.  After turning down a few Championship clubs in the summer to remain at Atletico it was a surprise to see him join Miami.

When Argento was interviewed he spoke in English clearly and precisely.

The question on everyone's lips was why had he left an elite European club to join a barely professional club in disarray.

“It's not what we are today but the journey we make.”

The bemused press core wasn’t expecting philosophy from a hard tackling uruguayan.

“This club is a fresh canvas, we can create a legacy here, and why not do it under the watchful eye of someone who has helped make American Soccer a global brand”

He continued to praise Beckham and Miami.  Switching between Spanish and English effortlessly charming the press and after an hour he had finally he had finished his duty.  He appeared confident especially declaring he will seal promotion this season.  Privately though he was worried. It was a young side and from the tapes he’d seen he wasn’t impressed.  There was talent there but it was not refined, ill disciplined and mentally weak.  These boys need a leader, thankfully they had one now.

9th September, 2016

Baltimore Armour 0 Miami Vice 3

Line Up: MacMath, Parkinson, Gilberto, Cruz, Dodd, Michaud, Rix, Laurendi, Hopkins, Santos, Sanchez

Sub Used: Romero

Goals: Sanchez 11,90 Santos 84

A solid debut but the scoreline flatters to deceive.  Sanchez almost got off the mark with his first touch after getting on the end of Rix’s cross but his tame effort flew wide of the post, he soon however found the target a long ball from Hopkins saw Santos split off down the left and his low cross found Sanchez and he slotted home from 8 yards.  The first half continued on quite uneventfully as both sides struggled to impose themselves with Santos only contribution after the assist being found offside.

Second half was more of the same but in the last 10 minutes the game fired into life mainly due to the other sides mistakes then our prowess, Cruz bundled the ball forward and a missed header saw Santos slide in between and round the keeper to double our lead.  In injury time we added a third when Sanchez’s gliding header from full back Dodd’s cross.  

I was happy I made my management bow and came away victorious, I may have wished it would have been in more glamorous settings than in front of 531 fans in Baltimore.  

17th September, 2016

Charlotte Eagles 0 Miami Vice 2

Line Up: MacMath, Parkinson, Gilberto, Cruz, Dodd, Michaud, Rix, Laurendi, Hopkins, Santos, Sanchez

Goals:  Santos 21,  Sanchez 22

I was pleased to make it 2 wins on the bounce as two goals in as many minutes put the Eagles to the sword.  Sanchez turned provider for the first after some good link up play on the right with Rix and Santos could make no mistake from a few yards out.  Managing to regain possession straight from the kick off Hopkins weaved his way round two players and he nudged the ball to Sanchez who took one touch before curling in a lovely shot from the edge of the box past the helpless keeper.  The second half saw the Eagles regroup and were unlucky that Bell’s strike was disallowed for offside and he was denied yet again late on by the crossbar after an error from Gilberto.  

Two wins out of two is as much as I could of asked for, we kept clean sheets and apart from the odd lapse of concentration we looked good and passed the ball round nicely.  We moved up to 7th with 8 games to go.  Still 5 points behind the top 3 though and I began to examine the table more thoroughly and noticed the wide disparity in points, it seems the top 10 are all in the hunt and the rest are struggling desperately.  So far we had played two teams from the bottom half.  Our next fixture would be tougher it was against 6th placed Harrisburg City Islanders who had 21 goal Craig Foster leading the line, the Islanders beat our mob earlier in the season and if we were going to get promoted we would need another win.  We have to keep winning and hope others slip up, we have some tough games coming up and we need to hope some of these other sides drop points somewhere.  I’m beginning to think poor Buddle was doing a better job than he was perceived to under the circumstances.  

Things got worse when we returned to Miami when in a training session our defensive rock John Cruz pulled up with a stubbed toe meaning he will miss the next two games, also in the the next fixture I was informed Michaud would be unavailable through suspension after picking up his 6th booking of the season.  Now without 2 of my first 11 I was going to be struggling, with no natural central midfielder I am having to pin my hopes on 16 year old Hopkins being able to adapt his game to a holding role for the big game.  Not ideal for a home debut, but if we have to do it the hard way so be it.

Saturday 24th September, 2016

Miami Vice 5 Harrisburg City Islanders 0

Line Up: Holloway, Johnson, Gilberto, Dodd, Parkinson, Dix, Hopkins, Reyes, Laurendi, Santos, Sanchez

Subs Used: Harrris, Romero, Millay

Goals: Santos 8, Sanchez 60, 66, Leverock o.g 72, Hopkins 83 (pen)

I’ll admit I was nervous making my home debut, especially after a brief ceremony on the pitch before the game where I was welcomed to the club by Beckham, another smiling and waving session for the queen and a bit more pressure on me to get results.

As I sat in the dugout the first time with my foot tapping away it was clear I was anxious but I needn’t have worried after my war cries were clearly understood in the changing rooms as Hopkins from his forced deeper role split the Islanders defence and Santos who finally beat an offside trap slipped in and slotted the ball home after only 8 minutes.  The Islanders fought back and a dipping shot from distance saw Holloway manage to just tip it over the bar.

I paced in the dressing room I was pleased to be ahead but it was tight I told the lads we needed to more clinical we needed a cushion, I’d moved Dodd into the centre and Parkinson was playing on the unfamiliar left so Johnson could come in on the right.  I Was worried this fragile back four could be undone but thanks to some wing wizardry from Laurendi he created two chances for Sanchez who took both opportunities with ease and we were 3-0 up.  Things got worse for the Islanders when Leverock headed into his own goal defending a corner and then Laurendi continued to be a nuisance on the left flank and was brought down in the box and the young Hopkins held his nerve to slot it home.

A 5 star performance, I couldn't stop smiling i hugged the players and applauded the fans.  I couldn’t believe just how well we performed in the second half.  That smile only widened when I checked the other results from our league. Bethlehem Steel struggled to a goalless draw home to Montreal

Up to 4th 3 points off after Bethlehem steel dropped to 3rd after a 0-0 draw with FC Montreal and Arizona were stunned 3-2 at home to mid table Real Monarchs.  This result pushes us into 4th place 3 points behind Bethlehem.  It's still extremely tight still with Arizona and Montreal just one point behind us and then the Islanders we soundly beat today a further point back.

Next up is semi professional outfit FC Delco who are languishing in 17th with just 4 wins all season, now I am beginning to understand why the league is the way it is, but we will need to win this game as looking at the fixture list this run in is going to be tough as in our last three games we are home to 2nd place Pittsburgh then we end the season on the road with games at Arizona and Bethlehem Steel.

The smile began to fade and a frown was beginning to form as I contemplating just how tough this job is going to be.  Welcome to Miami, indeed.

Friday 30th September

FC Delco 0 Miami 1

Line Up: Holloway, Johnson, Dodd, Harris, Parkinson, Michaud, Romero, Hopkins, Laurendi, Santos, Sanchez

Subs Used: Smith

Goals: Smith 65

Three points, three points that is all I could repeat to myself to stop myself from losing the plot.  Yes we were missing Cruz at the back and winger Rix was injured but we had Michaud back to hold things together.  I don't know where to begin with this one we just plodded around for 90 minutes without achieving anything of note, Laurendi on the left was completely ineffective today a huge contrast on his performance last week and eventually I hauled him off and the young Austin Smith played a one two with Santos receiving the ball in acres of space inside and slotting the ball home to finally break the deadlock.  If I had any hope that would deflate the part timers and open the floodgates I was wrong as we sat back and played out the last 25 minutes meekly.

In the dressing room word got round of the other fixtures from today Arizona had held Pittsburgh to a 1-1 draw as they look to keep up with the place and Bethlehem Steel struggle again this time being comprehensively outclassed by Rio Grande Valley Toros 4-1, Harrisburg Islanders also returned to form with a 4-1 win as they look to bounce back from last week's disappointment.  

The players began to congratulate themselves on breaching the promotion places as they rose to 3rd on goal difference.  That was the final straw I exploded and the riot act was well and truly read.  If we struggle to overcome part timers what's going to happen at Arizona or Montreal?

I calmed down quite quickly as I looked around there's a lot of young players in this squad and I remembered what I was like at Nacional, I didn't feel guilty but I understood their confidence. It was a great month maximum points and we are well and truly in the hunt.  I had a brief chat with Simeone we had grown close in Madrid and he was my mentor I discussed some ideas with him and he was very helpful but he had his own troubles after back to back losses in La Liga saw his side slip to 9th after 7 games.  

Chris Taylor had called me into his office, I had spent my first month either watching tapes or been on the training pitch, I liked to keep my boots on.  As close to the action as I can be, it's the closest I will get now with my ankle.  I got lost trying to find his office as I wandered the corridors aimlessly a young intern eventually found me and directed me the right way.  Not only was it Taylor we also had various department heads from marketing, scouting, sponsors the full monty.

The meeting dragged on somewhat and eventually we got to the teams performances and Taylor confirmed he was happy with my instant results with 4 wins out of 4 particurly the home win over the Harrisburg Islanders.  However it became apparent that those kind of results are to be expected regularly apparently the new fanbase of Miami are fickle and demand attacking football, Taylor agreed that I was working the best I can with the squad at my disposal and when I requested funds for next season to be able to revamp the squad in my image he not so subtly reminded me that if we do not achieve promotion then my contract will expire this November.

I left the office rather deflated, I returned to my office at the training pitch pulled a bottle of Rum out the draw and watched as the results came in, we had not been given a fixture for some unknown reason i couldn't fathom.  It had given us more time in preparation but it does mean we have to play two games the following week with a small squad which isn't ideal.

The Real Monarchs grabbed another win as they move into contention rising to 7th with a win over Baltimore, Harrisburg were held to a draw against Charlotte Independence but the biggest game of the day was 2nd v 4th.  Pittsburgh Riverhounds home to Bethlehem Steel who were hoping to stop the rot it was a very competitive game and in the end it was the away team who were victorious sneaking away with a 2-1 win.  

Their win sees us drop to 4th with a game in hand, I poured another glass of Rum.

Saturday 15th October, 2016

Miami Vice 3 Dallas Texans 0

Line Up: Holloway, Parkinson, Gilberto, Cruz, Dodd, Michaud, Dix, Hopkins, Laurendi, Sanchez, Santos

Goals: Dix 16, 18, Michaud 76

Dallas Texans spurned an early chance to take the lead but were denied by the legs of Holloway.  Dix was able to get the ball running early after Hopkins danced past one player and then chipped the ball over to the incoming Dix off the right wing undetected and cooly finish.  If that goal was good his second was even better when he curled a free kick past the outstretched keeper just three minutes later.

I was delighted with the first half performance a near flawless display, the second half was even better we knocked the ball about with intent and our performance was rewarded when the ball was headed away from the Texans goal only for it to bounce once and fall into the path of Michaud who smashed an absolute boomer into the top corner.  It was the best finish I had seen since I joined the club and I hadn’t even seen him attempt anything like that in training so to see him do that in the match was a shock.

I applauded the lads post game if we can play like that every week promotion is ours, it will be ours to lose.  The other results began to filter in Real Monarchs defeated Pittsburgh in the shock of the day,  Harrisburg outfoxed Chicago Magic 2-0 and the other game involving the promotion contenders saw Bethlehem Steel held at home by Arizona United 2-2.  We would need our passports and we would need our A game as we have a midweek clash up in Canada next.  Montreal have been on the fringes of the chasing pack and a win at home will cement their credentials.  With all the top teams facing each other in the coming weeks it's anyone's, at the top of the table St Louis continued their fine form and are almost in an unassailable position.  I don’t care for the title I just need to finish in the top 3 or its to the job centre I go.

Tuesday 19th October, 2016
FC Montreal 1 Miami Vice 1

Line Up: Holloway, Parkinson, Dodd, Gilberto, Harris, Michaud, Dix, Laurendi, Hopkins, Sanchez, Santos

Goals: Laurenti 21,  Sukunda 90

The streak had to end at some point but conceding so late is a bitter pill to swallow and one that could come back to haunt us as this 2 points most definitely lost. We turned up to Montreal tired but in good spirits and we started positively and after plenty of probing we eventually broke the deadlock when Laurenti curled in a free kick.  I urged the players to keep focused and we continued to frustrate our hosts but they began to grow in confidence as our players began to fade and it looked like we were going to hold out but with the last kick of the game Montreal scored a free kick which flew straight past Holloway.

I was disappointed to be walking away with just a point after leading for so long but I couldn’t fault the lads effort, it would be a long trip back to Miami and they didn’t need the riot act they needed to be picked up ready for a big game at the weekend.  It had been a bitter pill for us all to swallow and that would make the trip back solemn enough without me adding to it.  On the way back  I began to focus on our next game as we tackle another side chasing promotion as we entertain Rio Grande Valley Toros on home soil.  The only other result today saw St Louis continue their strong season with a victory over promotion rivals Arizona United.

-----------------------------------------------------

Author note: This is using SirFiozzie's revamped MLS structure.  I added players and key staff at start and holidayed through to start of English season.  

Archived