4-1-4-1 - To Pass Direct or Not To Pass Direct?

Returning to FM14 while the FM17 kinks get ironed out. On the plus side, Man Utd's squad looks absurdly good compared to how it does now in 2016!

Since my other two tactics are attacking I wanted to develop something which will be solid against your Chelsea's, your Arsenals, your Liverpool's and your Man City's! Basically I don't want to concede in these games but I think we have enough quality to hit them on the break, although some added quality could be useful on the flanks. Something to consider in the transfer market.

As the description of the Counter mentality says, "it aims to get the ball quickly enough to expose the spaces behind opposition defenders".

To me that implies the ball is already being played more direct. To go more direct than that might be overkill.

I want to achieve regular counter attacks and rapid transitions. I don't have players with any real aerial ability, so I want the ball played on the deck except for the odd lowish volleying-height cross played across the 6 yard box.

Will the TI More Direct Passing hurt my ambitions?

Also, should I look for a faster player to play DLP(S) than Carrick? For example I think Cleverley is more suitable for this style of play even if his technical and mental attributes are worse than Carrick's. I could try Giggs who's a touch quicker but he has really low stamina. Perhaps I should look for a player to fill this role? I don't want to lose Carrick yet because he has major use in my other tactics. I do have Fletcher who is ill but he looks very good. I might make this CM(S) in future, but I want to experiment to see the difference in attacking and defensive movement between the two and how they interact with the ML who will cut inside. Of course any of your wisdom on the difference between the two is greatly appreciated. My understanding is that CM(S) is basically a DLP(S) that doesn't hold position so much, probably shoots more often, doesn't attract the ball because it's not a playmaker role and  it gets the player into the box a bit more often.

20161130115107_1.jpg

20161130114853_1.jpg

Archived