Time-Wasting

Anyone seen a referee in-game give a Yellow card for this?

Just had a game against AA Gent where, with 100 seconds left in Injury Time, their goalkeeper spent 40 seconds examining the blades of grass around the ball before punting it aimlessly downfield, at which point my DC headed it out for a throw in. Which was the cue for another Gent player to study the stitching on the ball for another 40 seconds until the final whistle went. Obviously, I only saw those examples because they were the last 'action' of the game. I imagine that with their 4-2(DM)-3-1(AMC) formation, the rest of the half was end-to-end stuff.

I mean, I don't care all that much on this occasion, since we'd won the league the previous game (by the way, deep-fat-fry whichever idiot came up with the new Belgian league structure) but still... if time-wasting is going to be in the game... well.... 40 seconds is a... lot of time... to spend staring... at... blades... of... grass... ,... SI... ... .

Cautions for time-wasting are not part of the ME code, tbh the way that killing the clock is simulated does need some work as it's not a satisfying representation of who players & teams actually break up the flow of a game.

Archived