My Tactical Setup Brainstorm

Hello;

I want to brainstorm with you guys the system i want to play.

The way i want to play is control mentality and high pressing. There are 2 roles i want to implement; ball winning midfielder and roaming playmaker on midfield strata.

The formation i plan to use is 4-3-3 with dm.

---------- ST -------------

W/IF?---------------W/IF?

------RP--------BWM------

-----------DM-------------

FB---DM---------DM---FB

1. I want to have different attack options if they press or mark my RP so is it better to use another playmaker on wings?

2. Is using RP and BWM in the same strata make my midfield too open as RP roams and BWM presses everywhere?

3. If i use a second playmaker role one in wings, is it better to have an advanced forward on striker position since F9 or DLP is kinda a creator?

4. I need a runner in this setup; a winger on attack or inside forward attack can perform better? Also i need to utilize a fullback on attack i suppose.

5. Can control mentality be an issue if i play a team like Swansea on away games like Chelsea? Or sticking to 1 tactic can work? I dont want to be hammered like 4-0, 5-0 away.

Those are the questions coming my mind right now. If you want to add anything please comment.

1. Another playmaker can be very useful on the wings as it can draw full backs inside leaving room for others. If you do decide to do that then make it the RW if your RP is on the left hand side.

2. It could happen, watch games to see if it does. One thing I would suggest that could work is making your DM a defensive midfielder on support. The reasoning behind that is, when you have control of the ball in the CM position and they are building up an attack your defensive midfielder will push forward just behind them as a sort of recycler of the ball. Then, if you lose the ball he is in a more advanced position to engage the other team if they work it past your two CM's. Obviously the downfall is the gap between DM and the centre backs but pushing your defensive line up will sort that out.

3. If you're playing one up front with no AMC in behind them I would always use a support role. Support roles don't mean they won't ever score, it also doesn't mean they won't score as much as an advanced forward. In fact I would put money on deep lying forwards and F9's scoring more in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-2-2-1 than advanced forwards. It's all about the whole system.

4. Yes and Yes. I would use the attacking full/wing back on the same side as the playmaker on the wing if you choose to do that. In regards to the runner from wide you could try the raumdeuter. Read the description in game and you will get what I mean. Inside forward on attack otherwise would probably be your best bet.

5. Control mentality can work against any team if used properly. It is quite an aggressive mentality as default so, in my opinion you don't need many TI's on top of it as it can make it way too attacking. If, however you're wanting to high press then closing down and a higher line is a must so maybe try slightly higher line first and see what happens and then if you aren't happy push it up further to reduce the space. Just make sure you have pace at the back or very good mental skills. Basically how Mertesacker and Koscielny "should" work in real life.

To the second part of that in regards to possible 4 and 5-0's then you have to watch the matches in great detail and really look at what is happening. I'm not saying you won't ever get beat 4 or 5-0 doing that as obviously it can happen to anyone at any time but to give yourself the best chance you can't just stick to a system and leave it all match, sometimes things need to be moved and changed but only slight things at a time so you know if it has worked or not. Using your example of Chelsea, if I played them I would really have a look and see if I had the players with the correct attributes to play a pressing game for it to be effective because all it needs is one flair player on the wings with a work rate of 10, teamwork of 11 and decisions of 9 for example to not to do his job and their creating 2v1's against your full backs and then you will lose 4 and 5-0.

Bottom line to number 5 is different players are needed in different games.

Thank you very much for response. I chose Southampton and played a couple of game with the tactic. There are some observations i made.

the tactics is:

------------ F9 -------------

AP-----------------------Rd

------BWM--------RP------

-----------DM--------------

WB---DM---------DM---WB

I play "control" mentality with "flexible" shape. My TI's are Close down much more, Play out of Defence, Much higher defensive line.

I choose left wing as playmaker on support because Tadic plays there and his stats are better as creator instead of runner.

At right wing as raumdeuter, we have Mane but i want to replace him with Sissiko because he has low team work, work rate and decisions for pressing game.

BWM(S) is Wanyama he has good tackling and aggression as BWM but i have other issues with him.

yfXmf8j.png?1

Here my AP passes to advancing WB(A) and WB crosses to box however there are only F9 and RD inside the box. I score goals with this crosses in couple of games against weak sides however i doubt it will be effective against big sides. I want my BWM to be inside the box also. So i gave him pi "get further forward". Unfortunately Wanyama has PPM as "arrives late into the box", which makes him away from the box altough the pi.

Another issue with him is he has low passing and technical ability. What do you think about passing if is it crucial for player as advanced as him? Loosing balls there can lead to devastating counter attacks i suppose.

If so, i think i need a player with good technical skills and tackling and a suitable pi for my system.

DM is on support, Classie is playing there. He has good technical skills so he can launch passes to both sides when wingbacks are available.

For right WB i choose support role to provide more with if needed.

Overall i am happy with my system except the movement of my BWM. I really want to play as BWM there but if he wont enter the box, i need to change his role.

Hi,

Gonna leave my opinion here because i play with a tactic very similar to yours.

Control/Flexible

DLF(s)

AP(s)________________________IF(a)

CM(a)__________RPM(s)

DM(d)

WB(a)____DC(d)____DC(d)____WB(s)

As you can see, almost the same setup apart from the forward and the left midfielder role.

I think you need someone that really goes forward in your midfield, so the BWM might not be the best choice. I went with the CM(a). First i try with a BBM(s) with the PI to get further forward, but still wasn't enough.

The idea for the CM(a) came from Cleon that point it out the need of having one player really getting in the area to take advantage of the movement from the AP(s) and the DLF(s).

While talking about the forward, i understand that you need a player that comes deep to help the build up, but the F9 perhaps comes too deep, and then you don't have anyone in the area, apart from the RAUM and the BWM that arrives late. The AP for sure wont be that guy.

So perhaps going with a DLF(s) or a CF(s) might work better.

Hope that helps. It's been working pretty well for me.

PS: I never try the RAUM role in my tactic, for the right wing, but your tactic got me thinking. Gonna try it, and see how it goes particulary in the combination with the RPM that plays on the same side.

Archived