Imparting a manager's personality on a team's performances

I was wondering today as to how easily it could be done, as I admit I haven't looked into it too much myself. I guess this could be done through player interaction and team talks.

I will clarify by saying my two all time favourite managers is Harry Bassett, at my club Wimbledon, and Sir Alex Ferguson. Both gave the club something more than just tactics.

At Wimbledon we played mainly a 4-2-4 direct game, and with a few moments of rule bending we were successful without major tactical changes. Our success was down to an indomitable desire and will to win. Some was the signing of the right type of player for the club but a lot was down to the fire of Bassett. You could say the same about Fergie. There was something about the club under him that meant that United were always difficult to beat.

At the moment I feel the game is still anchored in the get the tactics right and win or get them wrong and lose. It may be down to me, but Wimbledon, especially our success, was down to more than tactics. Is it possible to get the team spirit that propelled us into the top flight and have a manager with the fire of a Bassett/Ferguson affecting results just as much as the tactics. Sometimes for me changing the teams width from Balanced to Fairly Narrow can change my game from watching my opponents attack to watching my team attack and I feel there is more to football than that.

You can impart your personality in a few different ways right now. First by player selection. Sign spirited, professional, or ambitious players to match your personality. You can change the overall personality of your team this way.

Then in the tactic itself you can show your personality in the team's style of play. Do you want them to be aggressive, calm and collected and patient? Then adjust your team instructions or player instructions accordingly.

I'm not sure how much press conferences also play into your team's mentality, but I'm sure they do to a degree. Like before a derby they always ask you how much passion you feel before the match. You can select "passion is great, but channel it", "there's no place for that sort of thing", etc. I like to think too that how you respond in the press conferences affects your team slightly - passionate/calm/aggressive, etc. Not sure about that though.

I know what you mean though. Would be nice to add more variety and depth to our personality and managing style.

Archived