Game crashes when trying to save 15.15.0b

I have a game that I've started with the very first released version.

After the latest update came I cannot save it anymore. The game shows all sorts of error messages and in the end of the saving process it says "could not be saved" or some times just crashes in the middle of the saving process.

The error messages during saving differ.

Some examples;

"Fatal, V15.15b news_manager.cpp 1893",

"NOTES::save_to_disk() : cannot open zip file",

"CONTRACT_MANAGER::save_to_disk() : unable to open save game",

"SIMULATED_STATS::save_to_disk() : cannot open save file"

I haven't tried with a new game if the same problem persists.

I believe it won't and this is just with my current save, which I really REALLY don't want to come to an end.

I have a game that I've started with the very first released version.

After the latest update came I cannot save it anymore. The game shows all sorts of error messages and in the end of the saving process it says "could not be saved" or some times just crashes in the middle of the saving process.

The error messages during saving differ.

Some examples;

"Fatal, V15.15b news_manager.cpp 1893",

"NOTES::save_to_disk() : cannot open zip file",

"CONTRACT_MANAGER::save_to_disk() : unable to open save game",

"SIMULATED_STATS::save_to_disk() : cannot open save file"

I haven't tried with a new game if the same problem persists.

I believe it won't and this is just with my current save, which I really REALLY don't want to come to an end.

I'm experiencing similar problems with an old save game, however, it doesn't happen every time I try to save. Just some of the time, I will get a number of the error messages you described above and then I have to go back to a previous save. I thought maybe it had something to do with my computer, or the fact that I save to a folder linked to Google Drive, but I think it might be the game now.

• SI Staff

I was able to load the save fine here, continue a few days ahead and then save without issues. What kind of system are you running on ? Have you checked your game preferences to make sure the user folder and other settings appear normally ?

OK now I see. My game preferences look normal. It does it only when I'm trying to save to my dropBox folder. Like I have done since the beginning to keep my game updated wherever I go.

When I made a copy of wild.sav to the root of C:\ and loaded it up from there and also save it there it works just fine.

It basically works any other way, but when I save straight to dropbox.

Now the question is, why has the game started to hate my DropBox? or vice versa.

I have tested saving the game on three different machines and all have the same problem, so it's not system related.

I also tested saving a word document to the exact same folder in my dropbox, where the EHM save is and it worked.

So maybe from now on I just have to copy it manually to my dropbox? It's no biggie... :)

• SI Staff

I think it may be due to some read/write priviledges that are possibly not exactly the same from the application point of view in your Dropbox folder and a local folder. We changed to a new underlying file management system in EHM a few versions back, so this is likely why the issue wasn't apparent before. The change was done as we are trying to modernize all the system level code with a view of supporting other platforms in the future some day, so it simply had to be done at some point.

But yes, best to probably manually copy the save to your dropbox folder for now.

Archived