Ideas to improve youth development and in-game tactical changes

Two ideas came to mind recently whilst playing the game:-

Youth Development

One of my big gripes about the game is newgen players being born with one 'natural' playing position and all other positions set at 'ineffectual'.

I would like to see all newgen players born with no set positions leaving the manager (you) or if you prefer your staff (head of youth development etc) to decide which positions newgens will be trained based on their attributes. Deciding where on the pitch and the type of role the player should play would add a great sense of realism and responsibility to youth development for the user.

I would then like to see the mechanism for how they learn positions / roles be revamped. I think the emphasis should be more on the role of the player e.g. Lets say you take in a newgen kid who you feel has all the qualities to be a central playmaker. By selecting the option to train as a central playmaker, he should become natural playing the role as a CM, maybe accomplished as a DM and competent as an AMC etc. Same with training one to be a full back, surely he should become at least competent as a wing back too.

In Game Tactics

We already have a 'swap players' option to select, meaning two players will swap positions with each other at random points during the game. I would like to see a 'swap roles' option added too. If for example you have two CM's (one set to defend and the other to attack), you may want to rotate who goes forward and who sits without them switching positions on the pitch. This may be due to one being left-footed and one being right-footed or perhaps due to a change that the opposition have made tactically.

Two ideas came to mind recently whilst playing the game:-

Youth Development

One of my big gripes about the game is newgen players being born with one 'natural' playing position and all other positions set at 'ineffectual'.

I would like to see all newgen players born with no set positions leaving the manager (you) or if you prefer your staff (head of youth development etc) to decide which positions newgens will be trained based on their attributes. Deciding where on the pitch and the type of role the player should play would add a great sense of realism and responsibility to youth development for the user.

But this is hardly realistic, as youth players are picked up by clubs due to the talent they're shown in one particular position. If you have a youth player who's starting natural position is as full back yet you feel that his attributes could lead him to be a really good striker you can re-train him for this position to the point where he will be a natural in this position. It's been done both in the game and real life.

Ex-Leeds player Gary Kelly started off his career at the club as a forward and was then converted to a full-back. Chris Sutton the same. Started as a centerback with Norwich before becoming one of the top strikers in the country and forming a lethal partnership with Shearer at Blackburn.

Archived