Need help for 4-1DM-2-2-1

I'm after some opinions on how can improve my current tactic.

Tactic.png

I'm not conceding too many goals but I am struggling slighty to score them myself and I think this is what is stopping m from getting into the play-offs. I do get chances (with a couple of CCC's). Should I just ride it out and hope my players start finishing their chances or can you guys see where I might be going wrong tactically?

I try to give my players their role based on what their best role rating is. i.e. Tim Ream is better at BPD. Is it ok to do this or could it be conflicting with my formation/TI's, etc?

Should I ask Moritz to roam from position since he is terrible at marking, tackling, teamwork & workrate? My thinking is he'll be useless in defence anyway so might as well leave him to find gaps, etc. and potentially allow my FB(s) access to the wing.

I'm tempted to fiddle with my two centre midfield roles & duties but don't want them to stunt other players or get in their way. I don't like having a BWM(d) as I feel he comes out of position too much and I already use hassle opponents as a TI anyway. And with my FB(a) gunning forward I was thinking it might be helpful to keep the BWM on (d) but change his role. Any thoughts on this?

I'm a little perplexed about changing my centre mids to more attacking as it may compact the areas my wide men and TM might use. If I did then I would want my wide men to stay wide and use them as wingers but would this not stunt my FB(a) from overlapping well?

Other info: I sometimes use one more TI. I do tend to change my D-line depending on the type of striker/s the opponents are using.

Any help or two-cents is appreciated.

Generally, you have a lot of players focused on creating chances through the middle, but you don't really have anyone focused specifically on putting them away. You have a target man, but who is he holding up the ball for? The AP and IF will both be looking to serve largely the same role that he is (albeit, in a different way). You've also got a very defensive midfield triangle, which you certainly can have, but you should compensate for that elsewhere (e.g., put both fullbacks on attack duty) or have at least one of the MCs offering some penetration through the middle while, as you say, keeping a wide player out wide. This won't prevent overlap. It can actually encourage and facilitate it.

For more specific feedback, what kind of goals does your team score when they do score, and what kind of opponents do you drop points against?

For more specific feedback, what kind of goals does your team score when they do score, and what kind of opponents do you drop points against?

Thanks for the feedback. I've lost 6 games up to now out of 21. I lost to the current top 3 teams and 3 others who are in and around my position (I'm currently 9th).

I've scored 21 goals, 9 of which have come from set pieces. The rest look like they come from my wide men crossing to my striker or other wide man at the far post. Almost all my assists/goals come from my front 3, with 3 assists from my FB(a).

When I play Beckford he plays as a DLF(s) and he has 3 assists to my TM's 0 (with 6 goals each). So maybe DLF(s) is the way to go? Or maybe DF(s) for extra pressing? I only use TM because it was Jutkiewicz best role rating, and that I thought it might give my BBM time to join the attack with a TM in the team, especially if I was dropping deeper, and to allow my wide men to go beyond my striker.

I'm tempted to either change my BBM(s) to CM(a) or change my BWM(d) to CM(s). If I did the latter I was going to change my IF(s) to W(s) and use DLF(s) for my striker. Not sure how effective this would be?

Thanks

Is this your only tactic? You might try using Defensive or Counter against larger and comparably sized sides.

If that's where your goals are coming from, having at least one wide player who stays wide makes sense, as does having an attack MC who will get into the area and pick up simple passes from your CF while moving forward.

I do have two other tactics, one of which is counter. I'll try using it against the teams near the top of the table.

I'll change my BBM(s) to a CM(a) and keep my wide men out wide. Does that sound better? I have Mark Davies back from injury so he can fill the CM(a) role well I think.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Archived