Getting the best out of a target man?

I've been playing with a short passing 4-1-2-1-2 (Narrow) and have just signed a mountain of a player who looks like he's going to be a real handful.

<a  href=http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8593/ql9.png' alt='ql9.png'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

My question is how do I get the best out of this guy?

Do I need to change to more direct passing?

Will wingbacks provide him with enough service or am I going to have to look for some wingers to sign?

If you're currently doing ok, don't change what you're doing because you've signed one player, his first touch, technique and finishing are fine for an 18 yo so I'm sure he'll fit in. All it means is that any crosses or long balls now have more of a chance of having someone getting on the end of them.

Do I need to change to more direct passing?

No. Not unless you want to get the ball forward more quickly. A target man can work in a short passing system.

Interestingly, I find you don't even need to specifically set up tall physical strikers as target men. My striker is a 'Complete Forward' and although I play a short passing game, his team mates will sometimes use his height to our advantage, playing longer passes for him to hold up or to flick on to one of the midfielders or wingers. This doesn't happen when I play a midget upfront.

Will wingbacks provide him with enough service or am I going to have to look for some wingers to sign?

Provided your wingbacks are good at crossing, and get into good positions to do so, service won't be an issue. I play with two attacking wingbacks in a 4-2-3-1 and they provide ample service to my striker.

The only thing that might hinder him is his lack of aggression, which could see him beaten to the ball by defenders. His OTB seems high enough though that he should be able to elude his markers entirely and get into good positions unchallenged.

Archived