FM 07: Chairman, and marquee signings over budget

Just wondering, when the chairman says he'd like a big name signing to put the club on the map and he'd be happy to pay over the transfer budget as long as it doesn't put the club in the red, how does that work?

Both times, I've signed an unspectacular player and received a message that the chairman is happy that I've signed such a high-profile player. Does that mean the job's done and the offer of paying over budget is now gone? Last window, I made over-budget bids for a few bigger name players to test it out, and when it came to the closing of the deal, I could only delay or cancel.

Well that means you offered too much. I remember when I managed Chelsea on FM07 and I always tended to sign Adriano for 35 mln because Abramovich wanted to see big names. With Chelsea one can naturally pay these amounts of money...

With smaller teams you should always keep an eye on your transfer budget. In some cases your chairman will subvene when you're offering more than you factually have but this depends on the status of your chairman:

underwriter/foreground/background.

Foreground - Will keep pumping money into the club until he leaves.

Background - Will supply money for 1 or 2 promotions/3 or 4 years.

Underwriter - Will only supply money if the club is in danger of bankruptcy.

When you sign a player and your chairman says he's confident then indeed the job is done. He won't start complaining about it anymore as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this answers your question

If you don't make a signing, the chairman will disregard your budget and make a big signing of his own.

I'm more asking how I take advantage of this 'extra budget'. Do I just bid for a high rep player and if he accepts, I'll get a message saying the chairman is allowing it? And does this not happen after I sign a player the chairman coos over?

Well that means you offered too much. I remember when I managed Chelsea on FM07 and I always tended to sign Adriano for 35 mln because Abramovich wanted to see big names. With Chelsea one can naturally pay these amounts of money...

With smaller teams you should always keep an eye on your transfer budget. In some cases your chairman will subvene when you're offering more than you factually have but this depends on the status of your chairman:

underwriter/foreground/background.

Foreground - Will keep pumping money into the club until he leaves.

Background - Will supply money for 1 or 2 promotions/3 or 4 years.

Underwriter - Will only supply money if the club is in danger of bankruptcy.

When you sign a player and your chairman says he's confident then indeed the job is done. He won't start complaining about it anymore as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this answers your question

'eh, not really.

Archived