Ignored by national team

One of my most consistent players is an English central midfielder who has, in the last 5 seasons in which I’ve finished top 6 in the Premier League, averaged about 7.4 or so, weighed in with a decent amount of goals and is an amazing free kick taker (both direct and indirect). His attribute stats aren’t super and he only gets 2 stars from my coaches, but he’s a key player for me.

He’s never been rated highly. I only signed him when I was in the Championship because I had no money and he was the only central midfielder from the Premier League I could get on loan whose wages I didn’t need to pay. He had a storming season and I signed him when he was released from his parent club at the end of the season and he hasn’t let me down since.

Now; despite being one of the best players in a top 6 (latterly top 4) premier league side for a good number of seasons he has never once been called up by England and I’m guessing this is because no-one rates him very highly despite his top notch performances. This seems a bit bizarre and surely needs looked at in future versions, but hey ho, it leads me to an idea for an additional player/press interaction for future versions of FM.

That is, the ability to tout your player for international recognition. This often happens in real life and in the game could have beneficial affects on a player’s morale or increase the pressure they feel or demoralise other players in your squad who you haven’t bigged up. The press and fans could laugh off your suggestions which could have a detrimental affect to the player’s morale. Whether it has any affect on the national team manager is doubtful, but God loves a tryer.

Just a small idea borne of frustration at poor old Kendall Appleyard’s constant exclusion from the national side. Even Leon Osman gets in the England team IRL.

Archived