Financial Crisis and Board Expectations

First off, please forgive me if this is in the wrong section but I wasnt sure whether to post it in the bugs forum, non me feedback thread, general discussion or anywhere else. Mods please feel free to move it to whichever section you feel is necessary :)

I'm having trouble with my Birmingham City save, specifically, board expectations and free transfers. I started my first season well aware of being in financial trouble and had a board takeover within the first few months of the season, although unfortunately the new chairman basically told me he isnt going to invest in the club and so its still in the same situation as before.

This was all well and good I thought for now, I'll just scower the free transfer market for extra players when I need them. However the problems started at the beginning of jan. Nearly half my squads contracts were due to run out at the end of the season (infact probably more so), but due to the financial restrictions I couldnt offer them a new contract as I was over my wage budget as it was. But also, knowing that half my squad would be out of contract at the end of the season I thought I would be able to sign free transfers on a pre-contract basis in Jan, knowing that I would be saving X amount from half of my squad leaving the club in june. But I couldnt offer anywhere near a decent wage (i think I averaged at about £200 a week offer if i was lucky, again due to being over my wage budget) to sign anyone.

I plodded along to the end of the season and managed to finish 5th but failed in the playoffs and am now in between seasons. Here is where the situation gets even more awkward. My board wanted to confirm my budget for the season and expectations to go along with it. But the only options I have are either promotion or winning the league?

Ive had to accept the wage budget for promotion and now that my players have left (leaving me with approximately 6 first team players) I have to sign as many free transfers as I can get hold of to fill up my squad with the remaining budget.

I'm not saying I should have been given money or anything else from the take over, but I definitely think the board expectations should be looked at. How can any board expect me to gain either promotion or win the league when half of my squad were left to go out of contract due to the fact that I couldn't offer a new contract or sign anyone (both in jan on a free or at the end of the season)

This has probably just been a bit of a rant really, but I'm not sure whether its a bug or just an issue that should be looked at in future. Surely there is no reason why I shouldnt be able to scout for free players and be able to offer them a decent contract knowing that my squad will be leaving; and surely the board should take this into account when deciding on their expectations for the season ahead?

Any feedback or advice on whether there is anything I can do to change board expectations would be greatly appreciated as I have a feeling I'm in for a very tough season ahead!

Regards

WoadY

Well any contract negotiations are linked to your current wage, so despite the players leaving at the end of the season the game doesn't see this deduction like you do so will no let you offer the free players decent wages incase you then just renew the contracts on the old guys.

The board have looked and see you finish hihg and now they(like any ambitious person) want to go one better than that and get promotion so thats why they have requested that.

In hignsight maybe you could have set some players to "set for release" and this might have freed up wages to offer the players whose contracts are running out at other clubs.

But for now you are going to have a tough season, but, your the best manager in the world remember, you can do anything. Get some decent signings, build a formation that controls the match and you can do anything!

Archived