Keeping older players going

I've just signed a 36 year old Frank Lampard for my Everton team, hes still good enough to make a contribution and I like him as a player too. (I would also be having the same problem with Pienaar and Jags shortly)

So what I want to know is whats the best way to keep him going for longer?

In FM12 he played to age 39 in Serie A so I think I can get a couple more years out of him if I have the right training schedule.

Has anyone got some pointers on what area to focus on? Or what intensity to use?

Cheers all

I've always gone for the 'boost physicals' to try and minimise the decline as players get older. Also targeting mentals to make sure they really rise to compensate for a natural lowering of physicals. I'm not sure how this would pan out in the new training system but the philosophy has been sound for a number of years in FM.

Another key point is playing schedule. You need to keep playing the player regularly but you can't go too much because any sort of lengthy injury and that could spell the end. During injury player stats will fall (sometimes plummet) and whilst most guys can recover, towards the end of a career the attribs won't tend to go back up so its a real hit that often spells the end of a career. Keeping playing and playing in decent games should help to reduce the natural decline and allow players to go on for longer. At 36 though it's going to be hard to keep him physically able to keep up with top division play and what often happens is that once he starts to see a decline, it'll keep going.

At 36 though it's going to be hard to keep him physically able to keep up with top division play and what often happens is that once he starts to see a decline, it'll keep going.

Hence the reason players like Giggs play in the center of midfield and why Scholes is still going strong.... though I think his issue will be red cards stopping his games rather than injuries :)

I bought Lampard when he was 35 and rotated him in for 20 games a season.

He did well for 2 seasons then I stopped playing him in the 3rd and he announced his retirement at the end of the season.

He probably would have carried on for a season or two more if I played him regularly, still had excellent mental attributes and was a great tutor.

Archived