How do I structure playoff formats?

Jason the Yank

Testing nation rules hasn't shown anything wrong, but I just want confirmation that I'm doing this right, or to be told where I'm going wrong.

Top division - Championship playoff

I've ticked Playoffs --> Championship playoffs.

I want the top 6 in the league table to go into the playoffs, with the top 2 teams getting a first-round bye. I've set it as a "Cup" competition. Just want to make sure it's not going to be a random draw that ends up with, for example, the 1st place team having to play in the first round whilst the 6th place team gets a bye.

Top division - Relegation playoff

Here's where things start getting tricky.

I want 2 teams to go down. The bottom side will go down automatically, the 15th (out of 16) team to go into a playoff against the winner of a 4-team promotion playoff from the 2nd division. So basically the 4 qualifiers from the 2nd division have a knockout competition, with the winner then facing the qualifier from the 1st division.

From the top division, I've ticked "Relegation playoff." Number of teams: 1. "Type" is a Cup. Left "Number of teams from lower division" unticked. Selected "1" for "Number of teams relegated from playoff"

From the 2nd division, I've ticked "Promotion Playoff" and set it as a Cup. "Number of teams in Playoff" is 4. "Number of teams promoted from Playoff" is 1.

Second Division - Relegation playoff

I haven't started this yet, but the concept in my head is:

3 teams go down from the 2nd division. The bottom 2 go down automatically. The remaining team goes into a relegation playoff.

The 3rd division consists of 2 sub divisions (East and West, for clarity's sake). The 2 subdivision winners go up automatically (replacing the 2 2nd division teams going down automatically).

Then I want the 2nd and 3rd place teams in both subdivisions to have a playoff. So basically it would look like:

First round 2E v 3E, 2W v 3W

Second round E v W

Third round Lone remaining D3 team faces qualifier from D2.

So you want 16th to be relegated automatically and 1st place in the second division to come up automatically? And then 2nd-5th to have a playoff? Don't think it's possible. Maybe if you set "teams relegated" to 1 and "teams promoted" to 1 for the 16th/1st place swap, and then "relegation playoff" with 1 team from the top division and 1 team from the lower division. Just not sure how you'd get that 1 team to be the winner of a 4-team playoff.

Archived