Conceding far too many from corners/crosses

I have recently change the way I defend corners and have not conceded one in around 20 games or so now (may be slightly off on that).

Basicaly I had the idea that unless a player was actualy of some benefit to the team by being back to defend a corner, I would leave him forward.

By benefit I mean if he can tackle, jump or mark.

Now, I play with a flat back four that are primarily DL/R's and NOT wingbacks, so basically, my boys can all jump pretty well. I have a tall striker and a decent jumping MC.

So, this is my setup. DR, DC, DC, DL - all on back (I'm not going to tell them who to mark).

My tall striker is set to stand on near post, this is for clearances.

My tall MC is set to backpost.

I have someone closing down the corner, someone on the edge of the box and the rest of the team are forwar (which actualy doesnt leave to many)

The benefit of having men forward is that the opposition generaly will match yours + 1 and that means the more they have back, the less they have attacking.

In relation to your conceding crosses, you need to look at what is happening. Are your players committing to tackles and missing them? If so, ensure that tackling is lowered by one notch. This means they will stay on their feet longer and are more likely to 'block' a cross than try to tackle the ball away.

LAM

Ill have a look at the corner 'system' you recommend, and ill let you know how it goes.

Re:Crossing, whats happening is the ball ends up between my d/line and goalkeeper and their players are always first to the ball, so it could be defenders attacking the ball and missing...?

So generally speaking, Press More is attempt tackle and Stand Off More can be interpreted as attempt block?

Thanks for your help.

Archived