Want some advice on 'Offside Trap' and Defending against FC and AMC.

Hey all,

I have two questions, which are pretty much in the title.

Offside:

What do I need from my team to implement this?

A few notes below:

I was reading a bit about the attributes for Goalkeepers and noticed that there are two in there that sound like they could have an impact on the offisde setup.

I have three DC's that I rotate and two players for each of the DL and DR positions.

I play a flat back 4 with the DL/R roles set to Fullback Defend.... ie they stay back most of the time.

I generally play a 442 (advanced wingers) in the Attack philosophy, so I have a high defensive line and I often play wider as a shout.

Defending:

2. How do I defend against an FC and AMC (typically in a 4411 formation).

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am gettign torn up by this, but there have been way to many close calls when playing against teams like this, namely Everton and Aston Villa.

In two games now I have changed my DC from 'Defend' (both) to Stopper and Cover, this allowed one to come out and close the man on the ball and the other to hangback and wait for the overlapping man. It 'seems' to have worked, but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

I have a tight defensive record, its not the best in the top three, but its good enough for my first season, so I am not really looking for ways to improve this generally, only against the solo striker and his sidekick.

Regards

LAM

the cover/stopper combination can work against the AM+FC but it's risky because it means your defenders will find themselves in a 1v1 situation against their attackers - one mistake will most likely result in a CCC for the opposition. you might want to consider creating a 3v2 situation at the back. to do this you can change your formation to 451/4123 or do somethiong like the below:

-------------------FC--------------ST-------------------------

AML-----------------------------------------------------AMR

-------------------------------------MC------------------------

----------------------------DM---------------------------------

DL -------------------------------DCstopper------------DR

------------DCcover/SW------------------------------------

this way you can have your DM mark their AM, your stopper mark their striker and your DCcover/SW stay behind to sweep and cover if your other DC or MC make a mistake and get beaten, AND you get to keep your strike force of 2 wingers and 2 strikers

• 5 weeks later...

Archived