Thoughts on Preserving a Lead

This is a dilema i often come across, and obviously the scenarios are always contextual, you could be winning away from home against the odds, or just wanting to see it through against a relegation threatened side at home.

Personally, i rarely dramatically change the strategy, as i find this actually hinders me. I will normally just change a few duties down a notch from atacking to supporting, or supporting to defnding.

I also often adjust time wasting manually.

I personally feel one massive consideration, should always be not to go over defensive. Conversely this seems to invite the other team to score a goal.

I must admit i have rarely used contain, and would be interested to hear peoples experinces with this strategy? and whether having attacking outlets are nessecary

I typically play a 4-3-3 slow probing style in defence and midfield but quick attack up front, with an aging target man. The two fast flankers who can press, tackle, and cross are so expensive and tire so easily, and my target man is 36 and I can't seem to find an adequate replacement, so I withdraw a forward against a poor team hopefully at halftime, or whenever I score in the 2nd half.

If I'm up against a relegation threatened side at home and I have the lead, I'll stop my forwards from pressing to conserve energy, drop the defensive line very deep and the midfield back a couple of notches, but increase the mentality of the two wingers so as to occupy opposing fullbacks. I'll withdraw a forward for a youngster, typically to pack the midfield and play a 4-2-2-2 with flankers.

If playing a 4-3-3, then I have an extra man in defense in and midfield in exchange for their extra 2 CBs, who typically aren't a threat to score in open play anyway. With 9 players always behind the ball and continuing to play short passes, I'll dominate possession even more, and have the occasional chance when a flanker breaks free for a long ball it's just gravy. Long shots are almost never a threat, as they'll either get blocked by my defenders, or get closed down so quickly by my midfielders that they won't shoot in the first place. My set piece defense may be slightly weakened because my TM is always a key part of that defense, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make.

I don't use contain as i feel that it invites too much pressure.

It really depends on of course who you are playing against, at home as favorite i regularly play the attacking strategy, if i have a confortable lead i normally change to control or standard.

If it's against a stronger opponent i'll normally switch to counter, with drop deeper and pump ball into the box shouts, as i like to have some pacey forwards and wingers it normally works good.

If i'm desperatly trying to hold on against a strong opponent away i use the defensive strategy with drop deeper and play narrower to really try to hold on, sometimes i'll even replace a forward with a defensive midfielder or another defender.

Archived