Have tried everything and cannot win

This is on Football Manager 2009, just to start off.

I am playing as Greece against Poland in the 2012 Euros, which are joint-hosted by Poland and Switzerland. The match is the third and final match in the group where we both are assured of going through to the quarter finals - this match is purely to decide who is first and who is second in the group (Poland leading by 3+ goal difference to my 2+).

The tactics I have used during my entire two year reign as Greece manager are a 3-man central defence (one man on zonal marking, other two man marking to stop the strikers), 2 wing-backs, 3 central midfielders (again one with zonal marking and very defensive mentality and little forward running, other two man marking), and two strikers; short, quick passing, the first slot on the slider where it says "wide", only two-three clicks above "normal" mentality, normal tackling, a deeper than normal defensive line, and normal creative freedom.

These tactics have worked wonders throughout the qualifying campaign and friendlies, although I tweaked them slightly for the Portugal group game to a slower tempo in order to conserve possession (we won 2-1, second half was just Portugal camped in our half!). Basically what I am saying is that these tactics are tried, tested and proven to work for our team.

My problem is that in this (effectively dead-rubber) game, the team has suddenly fallen to pieces, with poor passing, little attacking threat, and repeated defensive mix-ups, slack (or even just total lack of) marking. I would prefer to win this game but am not too bothered about drawing - I just don't want a loss to make us lose focus or morale. But no matter how I've changed the tactics - direct/shorter passing, slow/fast tempo, more attacking, etc - my team is determined to not win. I've also changed team talks, but nothing has any effect - even if we do take the lead, I can guarantee that within literally minutes Poland will hit back either with a 30-yard volleyed thunderbolt into the top corner (I'm not even joking, the amount of times it has happened is laughable), or with an own-goal in everything but name only. Sorry if I've bored you but I'm just totally lost as to what I can do. We are 6-4 favourites to win the match, we are 9th in the world rankings compared to their 62nd, and everyone in the media was talking about possible complacency on our part rather than their having any real attacking threat.

What can I do?

Have you tried yelling at them at halftime? Tell them you expect a performance and then yell at the poor performers. That usually gets SOME kind of reaction.

Yeah I'll probably do that, I've tried "disappointed" before (to great effect - the guy scored twice and set up a third), it's just a little annoying that's all. Thanks for replying to the thread days after I posted it!

Archived