Is there a link between Attributes and Player Instuctions ...

I agree to an extent. If you give all your players specific insturctions based purely on their attributes in theory they should perform well but it would as a team be eleven people running around trying to do different things. Indvidual instructions are good for certain players, but I always think that the only players who will really ever do well with Individual instructions are the players with a high decision making attribute. In this version I have gone for a more team based instruction set and its done me very very well over what I previously used to do with individual instructions which was very hit and miss in my experience.

Mentality - Dribbling, passing, creativity

Creative Freedom - Decisions, flair, creativity

Passing - Passing, technique

Closing Down - Tackling, Pace, stamina

Tempo - Stamina, pace, passing

So for mentality ...

Dribbling (13) + Passing (12) + Creativity (14) / 3 = 13 ...

Therefore Mentality should be set at 13?

There is no mathematical formula. You create a team, not a bunch of individuals. Your tactic is a system that suits your team. You don't want your DC close down often while everybody else staying there just because your DC has "right" attributes.

Take mentality for instance. Individual mentalities set (e.g. DC = 6, FCa = 18, everybody else in between) implies that you want a) to create space; b) each player to fulfill a specific role; c)certain players not to take too much risk. Global mentality would imply more compact team, but you either allow your Defs take some additional risk or restrict your attacking players in terms of risk/reward ratio. Setting some players on individual mentalities while the rest are on global restricts risk (or provides additional "reward thinking") for some players, leaving everybody else compact. What best for your team depends on players attributes, but not in a simple mathematical way.

P.S. What on earth dribbling has to do with mentality, closing down with pace and tempo with attributes (tempo is team instruction)?

Creative Freedom - Creativity

Bah, the only one you've tried, you've got wrong :(

Creativity is "eye for a pass". Creative freedom is "license to deviate from instructions".

You've got an idea here, but there's no precise mathematical formula. However, if you have a player with high stamina and work rate, he should close down more. If you have a player with high long shots or crossing, he should do those things. Higher flair generally means you should give him higher CF. Higher passing and creativity results in more through balls.

ALTHOUGH:

What if your strikers are cloggers? Those through balls aren't going to be much use then. Likewise, if they're small, crossing isn't much good.

So for mentality ...

Dribbling (13) + Passing (12) + Creativity (14) / 3 = 13 ...

Therefore Mentality should be set at 13?

Yes but be warned. Doing this will make the individual play well but this will probably result in the rest of the players not playing well and the tactic wont work. This quote sums it up.

"You can have the 11 best players in the world but if there's no balance, you'll lose."

Sometimes Ass Man's feedback suggests that certain players are better playing at a different style to how you are playing them, so there surely must be some effect on player's personal abilities rather than just what position they are playing in or how they fit into the general team tactic?

Eg - "<player x> is used to closing down opponents more often", "<player x> is used to playing at a higher tempo", "<player x> is used to playing a more direct game".

Archived