Training Categories-Attributes

Strength: Natural Fitness, Stamina, Strength, Work Rate,

Aerobic: Acceleration, Agility, Balance, Jumping, Pace, Reflexes

Goalkeeping: Aerial Ability, Handling, Kicking, Throwing, One on Ones

Tactics Anticipation, Decisions, Positioning, Movement, Teamwork, Command of Area

Ball Control: Dribbling, First Touch, Technique, Flair, Heading

Defending: Tackling, Marking, Concentration

Attacking: Passing, Vision, Creativity

Shooting: Finishing, Long Shots, Composure

Set Pieces: Crossing, Corners, Free Kicks, Penalties, Long Throws

I guess this is what people look at to see which category they must prioritize to improve an attribute of the player in question. But are these attributes fully related with only one category or is it written this way because they are mostly related with those categories?

Cos I think concentration and composure could be written in any category except strength and aerobic, and attibutes written in ball control could be increased while training attacking also for example.

When a defender improves his composure by training shooting, is it helpful to him while not shooting(maybe in a counter attack when he is against 2 attackers alone)? Cos I can`t see the importence of shooting for my defenders otherwise(they`d rather train in other categories and pass instead).

And there are lots of attributes not written here(aggression, determination, influence, off the ball, communication, eccentricity, rushing out, tendency to punch), I think normally some must be improved by training. What is the case with them?

I think it would be safe to assume where some of those attributes fit in, such as;

Off the ball - Tactics

Communication, Rushing Out - Goalkeeping.

Aggression I'm not sure, while determination and influence is something that comes with age and tutoring.

I think as long as you have a good training schedule that is balanced towards the position a player plays in, they'll develop well regardless.

I think it would be safe to assume where some of those attributes fit in, such as;

Off the ball - Tactics

Communication, Rushing Out - Goalkeeping.

Aggression I'm not sure, while determination and influence is something that comes with age and tutoring.

I think as long as you have a good training schedule that is balanced towards the position a player plays in, they'll develop well regardless.

Well, some things in the researchers tool and in-game have different names, hence are somewhat mixed in the manual:

leadership -> in-game is called influence

movement -> in-game is called off the ball

vision -> in-game is called creativity

Mental attributes such as determination, leadership, etc. are not "trained" through training schedules - they improve with (a) tutoring, and (b) experience (age and playing experience).

I hope this helps?

• 2 weeks later...

Composure is an offensive not defensive stat, so a defender does not really need it.

Simply put: What training categories you can have at zero?

Goalkeeping and Shooting for all defenders (Center Backs, Full Backs, Wing Backs), Goalkeeping and Defending for all attackers (Strikers, Center Forwards, Wing Forwards), Goalkeeping for all midfielders (Center Midfielders, Defensive Midfielders, Attacking Midfielders and Left / Right Midfielders) plus (i) Set Pieces for Center Midfielders and Defensive Midfielders, (ii) Defending for Attacking Midfielders and Left/Right Midfielders.

Composure is an offensive not defensive stat, so a defender does not really need it.

Simply put: What training categories you can have at zero?

Goalkeeping and Shooting for all defenders (Center Backs, Full Backs, Wing Backs), Goalkeeping and Defending for all attackers (Strikers, Center Forwards, Wing Forwards), Goalkeeping for all midfielders (Center Midfielders, Defensive Midfielders, Attacking Midfielders and Left / Right Midfielders) plus (i) Set Pieces for Center Midfielders and Defensive Midfielders, (ii) Defending for Attacking Midfielders and Left/Right Midfielders.

Not to second guess you Altazar, but according to the manual

"Composure = The player’s steadiness of mind and ability, particularly with the ball. When

faced with a big goalscoring chance or heavy pressure defensively, a player with

high composure will be able to keep his head and more often than not make an

intelligent decision which is beneficial to the team."

So from that it looks as if composure can be important for a defender to have

Sorry, but concentration is the defensive attribute, composure is the offensive equivalent. Just like off the ball is the offensive attribute and positioning is the defensive one. I know what they say, but that is what the attributes actually do. With one limitation though: if you want your offensive players to be playing a pressing game (in which case they need high defensive attributes) and want you defensive players to play a major role in counter-attacking (in which case they need high offensive attributes).

Got to say- I disagree with you there too Altazar.

One of my strategies is to look for defenders that have low composure attriubutes in the opposition. By putting them on closing down always in OI coupled with a high closing down on your own forwards often leads the defenders to panic under pressure and hoof the ball away needlessly (for a corner, throw in- or, even better, to another opposition player that is already marked).

Composure is definitely used in the ME as part of the decision making process when under pressure from being closed down.

Concentration is different in that it effects his ability to stick to his instructions (regarding marking, positioning, etc). A player with low concentration can peform admirably for 89 minutes then make 1 glaring mistake.

Just like off the ball is the offensive attribute and positioning is the defensive one.

Also- I think postioning effects their ability to stay / move into the correct position of the formation. So a decision to move forward / back / side is governed by positioning irrespective of whether it is as defender or an atacker.

Off the ball is his ability and timing at making forward runs (so for an SC it would effect his ability at timing a run into a channel / behind the DC). But equally it will influence the ability of a DL/R to make a counter-attack at the right moment and where / when the player should run.

Clearly positioning is more important as a defensive attribute and off the ball offensive. But saying one is for defenders and one for attackers over-simplifies it (imho).

One of my strategies is to look for defenders that have low composure attriubutes in the opposition. By putting them on closing down always in OI coupled with a high closing down on your own forwards often leads the defenders to panic under pressure and hoof the ball away needlessly (for a corner, throw in- or, even better, to another opposition player that is already marked).

Hehe that is so evil Surferosa :D

I have to try out that strat - how exactly do you do it ?

Also- I think postioning effects their ability to stay / move into the correct position of the formation. So a decision to move forward / back / side is governed by positioning irrespective of whether it is as defender or an atacker.

Off the ball is his ability and timing at making forward runs (so for an SC it would effect his ability at timing a run into a channel / behind the DC). But equally it will influence the ability of a DL/R to make a counter-attack at the right moment and where / when the player should run.

Clearly positioning is more important as a defensive attribute and off the ball offensive. But saying one is for defenders and one for attackers over-simplifies it (imho).

That is how I have understood it also - and also how I use them when evaluating players against each other - I call them secondary skill's so for example if a key defensive stat - such as positioning (especially key to me as I play a 3-5-2 with three DC at the back and if one of them has low positioning - he tends to drift too far out to the side) is one lower than I want it to be ie say 16 (my min reg being 17) - however if he then has say 2 better in a different key stat (such as tackling or pace) as well as perhaps say 15 in off the ball - I evaluate that the high secondary skill "off the ball" makes up for the point lost on the primary skill "positioning"

Again ofcourse much depends on formation and tactics as could possibly also be formations or even certain opposition where you would only play a DC if his positioning or other needed skill was high enough - for example I also usually have a couple of pacey DC's to deal with ronaldo type wingers - again is crucial for me with a 3 man defense

Hehe that is so evil Surferosa :D

I have to try out that strat - how exactly do you do it ?

Id like to take the credt- but it was actually TheBetterHalf that put me onto it in her excellent TTF inspired Tactical Sets - 9.3.0.

(OI)Close down/Always on left DC and Tight Mark/Always on right

The basic idea works in 3 conditions:

1) you are playing a pressing game with high closing down across your team. Typically you'll also be at home, and playing at high tempo. Most importantly, high closing down on your front 4.

2) The opposition like to play a passing game of some sort (ie not direct passing which tends to bypass a strata in its build up play). You should also be matching them in formation line-up (so your 4- MR/L SC SC v their 4 DR/L DC DC).

3) One or more of their central defenders has composure 'issues' (helpful if also has low passing and decisions). You can check this far easier if you are using the custom OI panel from Opposition Instructions (An Easier Way).

Basically, take the worst composure DC. Put him on closing down always in the OI. Tight mark the DR/L right near him, the DC and DMC (if there is one- or a deep dropping MCd).

When he gets the ball, your SC immediately starts to close him down. The typical result is he'll kick the ball upfield (lose possession), kick it out (into touch / corner) or- some of the time- try passing it to a marked player (who are tight marked and may get a CCC). I've even had one occasion where he tried a pass back to the GK and put it in his net :D

Im currently in a long term save that started in the Blue Square North (now in CCC). So at that level you tend to get a huge amount of defenders that panic and it is highly effective. As you progress up the divsions, players tend to have more composure and I've found it to be less effective- but at the very least it is a good way of harrying the back 4- even if they tend to make less obvious mistakes as a consequence.

• 2 weeks later...

If I read you right you would prefer a striker with:

Aggression 20

Tackling 20

Finishing 17

Positioning 15

Off the ball 15

Composure 15

Concentration 15

to a striker that has:

Aggression 10

Tackling 10

Finishing 18

Positioning 5

Off the ball 17

Composure 17

Concentration 11

knowing that they have roughly the same CA cost? I guess that depends on style of play. We had the mighty German strikers who used to plough through any defense with pure muscle and one good kick from them could send a defender to a hospital. We also had the type of Brasilian magicians who danced with the ball never even letting an opponent's defense get close to them. It is a matter of preference. Frankly, my away tactic is also based on counter-attacking, hard pressing by all players in midfield and offense, and tackling opposition defense and midfield, with showing on their weaker foot for the wingers and wing / full backs. As a result, I normally win 1-0 or 2-0. However, my home tactic is simply based on fast play, trying to dictate the game and tire the opposition by pushing forward to the extent where they can't take a breath. Yes, I let a goal almost any match, but I win 3-1 up to 8-1. So, it is a matter of style. And believe me, the same players can play both styles. :) Of course, that is with my Man Utd user. With Rushden, having finally reached semi-finals in FA, and recently promoted to Championship after 5 seasons, I have to show everyone on their weaker foot and ... play like the Germans did once upon a time (and the Greeks when they became European champions). So, yeah, your approach works for all levels, the faster one - just for classy teams.

Archived