The Superclub and The Supergirl

irishregan

"Me? Surely not? What would you want with me?" I laughed.

"Come to my office...no...nah...come to my apartment in the Piazza del Duomo. It's private there. Just to talk. If it's not for you, then perhaps you can advise me. And as always, my wine is good."

"As always, my thirst is overwhelming."

Mr Morratti laughed. "As always Irishman. But at least you always knew when to put the cap on the bottle and concentrate on the game of football."

Subterfuge, the magnificent Gothic Cathedral of Milan, and a fleeting visit to Internazionale, where if I do say so myself, I played some dazzling football a decade or so ago, made for a heady cocktail indeed. I'd been invited to the city by Ruben Sosa an ex-Inter team-mate, and good friend of mine. I was out of football again, I suppose by choice, unless you included my pundit work for the BBC. The problem was that being in football was the only whiff of discipline I had ever had in my life, and the devil didn't have much of a job making work for my idle hands.

We'd popped into Appiano Gentile, principally to see another old pal of mine Roberto Mancini, now the manager of the club. There wasn't the slightest hint of what was to come. We watched training, then had a chat with a few of the players. Javier Zanetti was the only one from our time at the club that we knew well, (Recoba had only arrived a matter of weeks before I left for Barcelona), yet it was nice to see that we were still treated with great respect by the current squad.

Which brings me to the phone call from the President, Massimo Moratti. Mancini hadn't confided in us at the training ground, but he was on the way out, curiously, at his own instigation. He had apparently arrived at pre-season training struggling for motivation, fought against it for a while, then informed the President that he had nothing more to achieve at the club, and would be stepping down. Not with regret, or acrimony. It seemed he was looking forward to spending more time with his family.

At the President's spectacular apartment in the heart of the city, we sat beneath a portrait of his beloved Father, Angelo Moratti, owner and President during the club's golden age in the 1960s, and talked about many things.

It always surprised people that didn't know me how things seemed to fall my way in life, and to be honest, it surprised me too. But although I had been a real d**k at times in the past, I was never nasty, and perhaps there was always something endearing about slightly wayward people. Even when things went sour with the management here a decade ago, I had always had a very warm relationship with Moratti. I think I amused him, if only in the way Victorians watched people in Bedlam for amusement.

Somehow we ended up driving down to the San Siro, because "he wanted to show me something". The club kept a little museum there for visitors, with trophies, and photos, and all manner of history and memorabilia. On the wall were large action shots of the club greats, Fachetti, Bergomi, Tardelli et cetera. Further down the line, he stopped beside a picture of Walter Zenga, and pointed to the next image in the row. There was yours truly, volleying in the winning goal in a Milan derby. I was taken aback, and suddenly the whole thing replayed in my mind as if it happened ten minutes earlier. In reality, it was nearly ten years ago.

"I can see you're surprised that this is still here. Though you were only here...what?...four seasons maybe, you were one of the best players ever to play for the club. You're still held in great affection here, especially by the fans."

There was a lump in my throat, for many different reasons.

And now that you have had success in the coaching world..."

He was interrupted by a commotion down the corridor, and the unmistakable voice of Mancini gauldering in Italian, "Where is the old bastard?"

"I assume you're talking about me and not Mr Moratti," I answered as he barrelled in.

"Of course!" he laughed. Then he talked over my head to the President. "Well, is he going to do it?"

The oil tycoon looked at me, and raised his eyebrows. In the background, Mancini was gesticulating for me to say something. Despite the fact that I hadn't even begun to think it through, there could only be one answer.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Me? Surely not? What would you want with me?" I laughed.

"Come to my office...no...nah...come to my apartment in the Piazza del Duomo. It's private there. Just to talk. If it's not for you, then perhaps you can advise me. And as always, my wine is good."

"As always, my thirst is overwhelming."

Mr Morratti laughed. "As always Irishman. But at least you always knew when to put the cap on the bottle and concentrate on the game of football."

Subterfuge, the magnificent Gothic Cathedral of Milan, and a fleeting visit to Internazionale, where if I do say so myself, I played some dazzling football a decade or so ago, made for a heady cocktail indeed. I'd been invited to the city by Ruben Sosa an ex-Inter team-mate, and good friend of mine. I was out of football again, I suppose by choice, unless you included my pundit work for the BBC. The problem was that being in football was the only whiff of discipline I had ever had in my life, and the devil didn't have much of a job making work for my idle hands.

We'd popped into Appiano Gentile, principally to see another old pal of mine Roberto Mancini, now the manager of the club. There wasn't the slightest hint of what was to come. We watched training, then had a chat with a few of the players. Javier Zanetti was the only one from our time at the club that we knew well, (Recoba had only arrived a matter of weeks before I left for Barcelona), yet it was nice to see that we were still treated with great respect by the current squad.

Which brings me to the phone call from the President, Massimo Moratti. Mancini hadn't confided in us at the training ground, but he was on the way out, curiously, at his own instigation. He had apparently arrived at pre-season training struggling for motivation, fought against it for a while, then informed the President that he had nothing more to achieve at the club, and would be stepping down. Not with regret, or acrimony. It seemed he was looking forward to spending more time with his family.

At the President's spectacular apartment in the heart of the city, we sat beneath a portrait of his beloved Father, Angelo Moratti, owner and President during the club's golden age in the 1960s, and talked about many things.

It always surprised people that didn't know me how things seemed to fall my way in life, and to be honest, it surprised me too. But although I had been a real d**k at times in the past, I was never nasty, and perhaps there was always something endearing about slightly wayward people. Even when things went sour with the management here a decade ago, I had always had a very warm relationship with Moratti. I think I amused him, if only in the way Victorians watched people in Bedlam for amusement.

Somehow we ended up driving down to the San Siro, because "he wanted to show me something". The club kept a little museum there for visitors, with trophies, and photos, and all manner of history and memorabilia. On the wall were large action shots of the club greats, Fachetti, Bergomi, Tardelli et cetera. Further down the line, he stopped beside a picture of Walter Zenga, and pointed to the next image in the row. There was yours truly, volleying in the winning goal in a Milan derby. I was taken aback, and suddenly the whole thing replayed in my mind as if it happened ten minutes earlier. In reality, it was nearly ten years ago.

"I can see you're surprised that this is still here. Though you were only here...what?...four seasons maybe, you were one of the best players ever to play for the club. You're still held in great affection here, especially by the fans."

There was a lump in my throat, for many different reasons.

And now that you have had success in the coaching world..."

He was interrupted by a commotion down the corridor, and the unmistakable voice of Mancini gauldering in Italian, "Where is the old bastard?"

"I assume you're talking about me and not Mr Moratti," I answered as he barrelled in.

"Of course!" he laughed. Then he talked over my head to the President. "Well, is he going to do it?"

The oil tycoon looked at me, and raised his eyebrows. In the background, Mancini was gesticulating for me to say something. Despite the fact that I hadn't even begun to think it through, there could only be one answer.

They gave me back my old apartment, not far from Moratti's in the centre of Milan, only after I received an assurance that one of the players didn't have to be kicked out first. Jenny didn't come out to join me, and wouldn't be either. We weren't getting on very well for various reasons. She was at my place in Sevenoaks, and for the moment that was the situation.

Until after the weekend, I wasn't yet officially the manager of the club. Mancini deserved his swansong, which would take place at a press conference on Monday. I would then be introduced briefly, and would not be taking questions. I used any excuse to avoid the media, and in this case the line would be given out that since I hadn't lived in Italy for years, my Italian wasn't up to snuff yet (a blatant lie), and that I didn't want to be misunderstood by using an interpreter. Everyone knew I was perfectly capable of conversing in the language, yet it was my prerogative to pretend otherwise until I felt comfortable with the local journalists.

Standing on the balcony of that apartment again was a tremendously wistful experience, made all the more so by the late Summer sun and the Friday night. I'd stepped onto that balcony so many times in the past, after a conquest or a boozy night. Where had it all gone wrong? With me and my idiocy of course. As if to emphasise that those who never learn from history are condemned to repeat it, I strayed towards the bars in the Piazza del Duomo, picking up a beautiful girl who was considerably younger than me. Setting aside the extreme attractiveness of that, she also had the virtue of not knowing or caring anything about football. After telling her that I was in the oil industry, and would be leaving town a few days later, it seemed that the **** and bull story was probably unnecessary. I didn't get the impression that the evening's details would later be salivated over in a tabloid newspaper. Both parties seemed content just to leave it at one night.

Having self-indulgently recaptured something of my lost youth, it was time to get down to the business of running a massive football club. With the press formalities out of the way, it was time to assess the squad, and whether it was capable of attaining the stated goals of President Moratti, namely to win the Championship. I knew the score. Managing in Italy was like being in the Mafia. Too many failures and you were terminated. The contract they'd given me till the end of the season meant nothing. Perform and I'd be extended. Fail and I was out. Nothing personal, just business, and that was fine with me.

Javier Zanetti would probably remain as club captain, form permitting, and notwithstanding the fact that he was only a couple of months younger than I was. He was also the first ex-teammate of mine that I had managed, which could be tricky if I had to drop the hammer on him, yet I was confident he still had a year or two left at the top level.

There was a picture of me and him in the museum, with him jumping on my back after I had scored (another goal in a derby game against our arch rivals). I remembered the incident well. I had so much adrenaline running through my system that I ran about 20 yards before I realised he was there. Friends or not I was prepared to be ruthless, though I reckoned I wouldn't have to be.

Authors Note: WSM 7.0.2 England, Spain, Italy, Scotland leagues running. It's the same character as I've been using the last few stories, a washed up legend now a relatively successful manager, who can resist anything except temptation.

Taking stock, I was amazed at the vast retinue of coaches, physios, scouts, and hangers-on that made up my staff. It was a much bigger entourage than existed at the club when I played here, and despite them all seeming to have their uses, I resolved that it was just too unwieldy.

I had an assistant manager of course, Sinisa Mihajlovic. I didn't know much about him, other than that he kicked me a lot on the occasions we faced eachother in Serie A. It had crossed my mind to bring in an old mate of mine, Ray Wilkins, who knew the Italian scene inside out. Yet I was wary of over doing it. For now, the big Serb would be given a chance as my right hand man, since our early dealings were both cordial and fruitful.

Arriving at Appiano Gentile, I discovered that the extraordinarily long list of coaching staff was bloated by half a dozen blokes who ran the youth academy. I have always valued youth policies, so wasn't prepared to cut any of them just yet. So when it all shook down, I had a normal size coaching group for the first team. Where I did decide to trim some fat was in the scouting operation. Having four scouts who were thought to be world class was more than adequate. Three more had an international reputation, so I fired the three members of the team who were not in the same league. I would have made do with the big four, but the other three were pretty costly to get rid of.

The lavish backroom team was in contrast to a playing squad which, while not exactly threadbare, didn't allow for too many injuries or suspensions. The talent was extravagant, as you would expect, but the depth wasn't there. Serie A wasn't anywhere near as strong as it had been in my day, so while the frontline players were all still of the highest order, there wasn't the super-squads that there had been in the mid 90s.

Toldo and Julio Cesar were our keepers. The former was a known quantity, a 6' 5" former Italian international, who really filled the net and commanded the area, just what I liked in a keeper. Cesar looked ok, but I just didn't have the background on him, and always had Brazilian goalkeepers pegged as being good shot stoppers and horrible on crosses. For now, I would be running with Toldo, against the advice of the coaching staff, who saw Cesar as the keeper of the present and the future.

Javier Zanetti as I've said, was more than pencilled in as captain. The rest of the defence concerned me. As far as our centre backs went, I thought Walter Samuel was a fantastic defender. Ivan Cordoba was very good, and Materazzi was certainly effective, though I'd never been a huge fan of his. The problem, as I saw it, was twofold. They were all too similar, and all too slow to play without cover. When I first arrived at the club, they'd been playing three centre backs, so it had been glaringly obvious to Mancini too. The central defensive back-up consisted of Nicholas Burdisso, an average Argentine stopper, and an exciting young Italian prospect, Marco Andreolli, who seemed tantalisingly close to being ready for prime time. Left back was pretty ordinary. Fabio Grosso was a good player, and would start. However, my first impressions of Maxwell and Maicon, two Brazilian full-backs cum midfielders, were not of the knock-your-socks-off variety.

The midfield, however, had plenty going for it. I thought Esteban Cambiasso was a magnificent player - tough, creative, adaptable. Just what I was looking for to anchor the midfield. With the 4-4-2 I was going to play, this meant no immediate place for Patrick Vieira or Olivier Dacourt, so you can take from that the midfield was very strong. Partnering Cambiasso in the centre would be Dejan Stankovic, who I had played a little bit with at Lazio. Back then he didn't speak Italian that well, so I didn't really get to know him, but I certainly rated him as a player. Recoba would start on the left ahead of Santiago Solari. It was a close run thing, and the Argentine international was a hell of a back-up. The right of midfield had basically only one option, but what an option. Luis Figo may have been the same age as me and Zanetti, but I hadn't any fear at all that he could cut it for a while yet. His contract was up at the end of the season, and while it was a case of "suck it and see" on that front, I was sure he could produce the goods this term.

Up front was a relatively simple equation, and again I was concerned about depth. My front two would be Zlatan Ibrahimovic, (a player I wasn't particularly wild about, yet his goal ratio suggested I was wrong), and Adriano. Hernan Crespo would back them up initially, partly because of his age, also because he was on loan from Chelsea. Julio Cruz was a guy I used to like a lot, though when I saw him in training I thought he'd lost a little bit from a few years ago. Either that, or he'd never really had it in the first place. We needed a striker, a couple of injuries and we'd be looking into the reserves for Labros Choutos, and that was an option that wasn't going to pull up any trees.

I knew it would require plenty of work on the training ground to impose my system, 4-4-2 with an attacking mindset, since it was somewhat different to what Mancini liked to play. To that end, I decided that I would come to training for the first month or even six weeks of pre-season, which was my idea of hard work. Then I'd revert to my usual style, only attending training on the odd occasion, when I would turn up unannounced and looking menacing if the team had displeased me in some way, real or imagined.

I explained my slightly unusual style to the President, and got the customary raised eyebrow. Employers were employers after all, and when they paid people they expected them to turn up and do every facet of their job. I tried to tell him about my mentor, the managerial genius that was Brian Clough, and how I modelled my methods on his. Moratti pulled me up with a dry observation.

"Ah yes, Brian Clough. But these methods you speak of, that was partly due to his genius, and partly due to his alcoholism. Correct?"

"Umm...well...as it's turned out...yes. They still work though. And it has nothing to do with alcoholism on my part."

He smiled, still unconvinced, though ready to give me enough rope to hang myself, if that was what I wanted.

I was pleased with how things were going through the month of July. The players were very professional about the change of system, and it was looking like a comfortable transition.

In the background though, I was having a real spat with Chelsea, and in particular, their complete w***er of a chief executive Peter Kenyon. I had been designated by Moratti to handle all club business relating to England, and that was how my phone ended up ringing with that creep on the other end of the line. He came on all full of his own importance, telling me that they had decided to sign Cambiasso, and (as if they were doing me a favour), they were prepared to pay 10 million.

"Now you listen to me you jumped-up pencil-pushing little turd," I spat. "This is one of the biggest clubs in the world. Twenty years ago, your poxy little club was bankrupt. And who do you think you're talking to anyway? I've forgotten more about this game than you'll ever know. So just go back to shuffling paper clips. And as for your offer for my best midfielder, my response consists of two words. Even you, with your limited brain power, know what they are."

With that, I hung up. Remarkably enough, he kept calling back, both about my midfielder and Cordoba. Either way, they weren't for sale, so there was no reason for me to take his calls. Everything about him and his club was tacky and nouveau-riche.

Midway through the month, I flogged off one player though, Olivier Dacourt to Palermo for 2.3M. He was a fine player, but if Vieira couldn't get into the team, then Dacourt certainly couldn't. A week later, I also loaned out highly touted prospect Marco Andreoli to Lille, for some vital first team experience. An option to recall him was included, which tells you how highly I rated the guy. How far he went in the game was up to him now.

Our first friendly encounter came on the 29th, with a tournament arranged in Brussels, by Anderlecht. We met AZ Alkmaar in the semi-final, and a hat-trick from Ibrahimovic, together with a goal by Figo, gave us a slightly skittish 4-2 win. We were sloppy at the back all night, which made me slightly nervous for the season ahead. The next day we pitched up for the final, against Porto, who had disposed of the hosts in the other half of the draw. They won the game in injury time, following a calamitous showing by us. Zanetti was injured early on, and Samuel got himself sent off. Not a glorious start to my reign, yet it was early days, and these games were relatively unimportant.

We coined in 9.5M in profit for the month, so things were certainly going well in that department.

I finally made a signing on the 6th of August, snapping up Igor Tudor from Juventus reserves for 1.1M. Despite the scouts and management team warning me about his injury record, he was a quality player. And at that price, it was a low-risk, high-reward move that would strengthen the centre of defence and defensive midfield depth.

It might surprise people to think of a manager of this club fannying around looking for bargains. Moratti had "only" given me 15M to spend, which was a taxi fare to a club of this size. Rumour had it that he was fattening the club up to sell it, and certainly there was plenty of room for a higher budget. I hoped that he would loosen up the purse strings in January.

On the 7th we visited Deportivo for a friendly, and came away with a very handy 4-0 win, with 2 goals from Adriano and further strikes from Ibrahimovic and Stankovic. This was a lot more like it.

Fresh from that, I arranged a home friendly with Real Madrid on the 19th. For some reason, our entire friendly programme had consisted of away games, and I thought that was ridiculous. On the day of the match I went out and got a brand new Armani suit, determined to look smart in front of the home crowd. That balmy evening turned out to be a memorable one in every respect.

The stadium was full to bursting for the game, and the hardcore fan groups of the Curva Nord (North Stand) were out in force. Boys San (the oldest and most established fans group), joined together with Viking, Irriducibili, Ultras, and Brianza Alcoolica, raising the roof off the San Siro when I emerged, as they chanted "Il Mato...Il Mato...Il Mato li amiamo!" ("Madman we love you"). It was particularly lustily sung by Brianza Alcoolica (Alcoholics Brigade), who with their motto "You'll never drink alone", were particularly spiritually tuned to their new manager. Heady stuff, and I made sure to enjoy it, knowing that one loss could turn the cheers to jeers.

There was something inevitable about the incredible 6-0 win that we pulled off. The goals were flying in everywhere, from players all over the pitch, and I suddenly realised why we were favourites for Serie A. If I wasn't able to do the business with this squad, then I deserved the boot.

On the 24th came the draw for the Champions League. We got Lyon, Andelechet, and Legia Warsaw, and again, if we failed to progress from that group then something was wrong.

Our first truly competitive game rolled around on the 26th, the Italian Super Cup against Roma. This was important, since they were our only serious challengers for the title, and a useful yardstick could be measured for the season ahead. I picked the following team: Cesar Zanetti Grosso Cordoba Samuel Cambiasso Figo Stankovic Ibrahimovic Adriano Recoba. We pummeled them at the San Siro, only for them to help themselves to a dodgy penalty 26 minutes in. Our lads didn't panic, and just on half-time, Recoba levelled it with a nice chipped finish. Still I was annoyed at half-time, and it lit a fire under the lads. A second period full of pressure from us culminated in an 83rd minute goal from Ibrahimovic, who buried a cross from impressive sub Solari. I was well satisfied, as were the 83,000 that saw it, and our first (rather meaningless) trophy was in the cabinet.

Now all that remained was the transfer window closing. I was desperate to make a splash, but either didn't have the money for the players I wanted, or wasn't impressed by the players I could afford. I resolved to deepen the squad at right midfield, and by happy accident stumbled upon Italian international right winger Mauro Camoranesi. I signed him up for 8.75M from Juventus, which p***ed off their fans and several of their leading players, but delighted everyone at my end. He seemed like a long term replacement for Figo, but at 29, the chances were he would be seeing more than a little bit of action this term.

We moved forward with plenty of confidence. Even our loss of 4.8M for the month could be more than explained by the signing of Camoranesi.

Thanks a lot Axeman icon_smile.gif By the way, I paid a quick visit to your blog last week. Congratulations on the imminent arrival of a little Axeman/woman! As a Father myself I can tell you it will be the greatest time you'll ever have, so enjoy icon_smile.gif

An intense training camp in the first week of September was the last act of the pre-season. As much technical as physical, it was all about honing the way we wanted to play, and making it second nature. Some of the lads were a bit surprised by the depth I went into, having heard that I was a broad brush coach who dealt more in motivation, rather than an X and O's guy. The fact was I was just lazy, but I wanted this to be a success, so as I said earlier I made a special effort by my standards.

We were as well prepared as we could be by the time we took the field for the season opener at Chievo. They were a useful side who could cause problems, though they weren't sneaking up on people as they had in previous years. I named the following team: Cesar, Zanetti, Grosso, Cordoba, Materazzi, (Samuel was injured), Cambiasso, Figo, Stankovic, Ibrahimovic, Recoba. The lads started impressively and after 11 minutes, Adriano forced in a near post Recoba cross. Just as it seemed plain sailing, Cesar blundered to allow them an equaliser after 23. I told myself through gritted teeth on the sidelines that I had been right to be suspicious of him. Our cushion was restored via an Adriano tap in from an Ibrahimovic shot on 39.

After some poor finishing by us, hey presto the home side scored, this time directly from a free kick on 50. My rage only lasted 11 minutes, whereupon Stankovic headed in a corner. Three minutes later, the same player drilled home a beauty from 12 yards, before Adriano fired in the hat-trick, with a great 18 yard finish three minutes from time. Overall I was pleased with the result, but some of the defending stank, and there was certainly room for improvement. As I anticipated however, we looked pretty devastating going forward. Moratti apparently enjoyed it, and called to say so, wishing me luck for the season ahead.

Three days later we were in Brussels, for our Champions League opener with Anderlecht. Camoranesi started for Figo, and played a full part in a game that was an atrocious advert for Europe's showpiece competition. We came away with a 2-0 win, via an own goal and a Recobashot. Ironically, I was more pleased with this than the first league game, since it seemed to suggest that we had the capacity to win well whilst playing very badly.

That kind of performance wouldn't do on the 17th, when we entertained Lazio. The team seemed to realise this and set out in dominant form in front of a raucous home crowd. Fourteen minutes in, Adriano was at it again, chipping in from the edge of the box. The guy was on fire now, and doubled his tally nine minutes later with a neat finish from a very cultured Cambiasso through ball. As was always likely in Italy, he eventually got hatcheted just before half-time, a crude challenge that didn't even attract a freekick, let alone a booking, despite myself and the crowd foaming at the sidelines.

Straight after he'd limped off, Cambiasso punished the dirty b****rds by sending through Ibrahimovic for a third, the last scoring in an easy win over one of our notional rivals for the title. Then we got the bombshell. Adriano had had his toe broken and would miss two months. This was what I was worried about. Now I had to call Choutos up from the reserves as cover.

Crespo stepped in for our next encounter on the 20th, at home to Parma. Ibrahimovic chipped us in front 6 minutes in. Then Camoranesi announced himself with a wonderful cross to pick out an unmarked Recoba at the back post for number two (41). They were dead and buried at that point, and the Uruguayan added a powerful deflected volley 4 minutes from time. It was another dominant win, yet I wondered if we were playing the soft underbelly of Serie A. Surely much sterner tests awaited us. Or maybe I had underestimated how strong we were.

That would certainly be put to the test after what happened in training that week. Zanetti pulled up lame, and it turned out he had torn his hamstring. So our captain and stud striker were both out long term. Our skipper would be replaced by Maicon, a player who frankly I'd never heard of before I came here. Now we'd see a test.

Not so much on the 24th, since we visited struggling Ascoli, though the early signs weren't good. We missed a heap of chances, so much so that I gave out the first bollocking of the season. We were rescued by sub Cruz who volleyed in in the 89th minute. A draw wouldn't have been a calamity, but it certainly would have been two points tossed into the toilet.

Three days later, most of the reserves were in for a home European date with Legia Warsaw. I expected an easy win, and we were 3 up after 15 minutes. It ended up at 5, including a hat-trick by Crespo.

I probably could have afforded the same side at home to Empoli on the 30th, however the league was our number 1 priority, and I wasn't going to take the p**s. A pair of penalties from Grosso and Ibrahimovic on 2 and 59 minutes gave us a straightforward win, and I went into the 2 week break before the next game feeling very good about things. The board did too, flushed with the success on the pitch, and greedily eyeing up a profit of 4.88M for the month.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Inter | | 5 | 5 | 0 | 0 | 14 | 2 | +12 | 15 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Palermo | | 5 | 4 | 0 | 1 | 8 | 2 | +6 | 12 |

| 3rd | | Roma | | 6 | 3 | 3 | 0 | 11 | 6 | +5 | 12 |

| 4th | | Udinese | | 5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 7 | 2 | +5 | 10 |

| 5th | | Livorno | | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 5 | +1 | 10 |

| 6th | | Catania | | 5 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 6 | 4 | +2 | 8 |

| 7th | | Torino | | 5 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 6 | 5 | +1 | 8 |

| 8th | | Sampdoria | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 0 | 7 |

| 9th | | Parma | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 9 | -3 | 7 |

| 10th | | Chievo | | 5 | 2 | 0 | 3 | 6 | 9 | -3 | 6 |

| 11th | | Atalanta | | 5 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 0 | 6 |

| 12th | | Empoli | | 5 | 2 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 6 | -3 | 6 |

| 13th | | Siena | | 5 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 4 | 4 | 0 | 5 |

| 14th | | Lazio | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 6 | 0 | 4 |

| 15th | | Ascoli | | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 4 | 6 | -2 | 4 |

| 16th | | Messina | | 6 | 0 | 2 | 4 | 2 | 9 | -7 | 2 |

| 17th | | Milan | | 6 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 10 | 6 | +4 | 0 |

| 18th | | Cagliari | | 5 | 0 | 0 | 5 | 3 | 10 | -7 | 0 |

| 19th | | Fiorentina | | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 6 | 3 | +3 | -4 |

| 20th | | Reggina | | 6 | 0 | 1 | 5 | 3 | 17 | -14 | -10 |

| 8 points deducted from Milan | | | | | | | | | | | |

| 3 points deducted from Lazio | | | | | | | | | | | |

| 11 points deducted from Reggina | | | | | | | | | | | |

| 15 points deducted from Fiorentina | | | | | | | | | | | |

| 1 point deducted from Siena | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

With two weeks free, I worried about what I might get up to eventually, yet I started out very responsibly, sitting at home channel surfing and boring myself to death. Then suddenly one evening, I flicked the channels, and what I saw made me freeze.

If, like me, you are occasionally afflicted by shallowness, you'll know what I mean when I talk about what I am about to talk about. Some women come along who you think you can't live without, then three weeks after you've split up with them, you've completely forgotten they ever existed. Carla Falsini was different. She was the woman I remembered when I was drunk, when all men unlocked the memories of the one that got away. Privately, I hasten to add. I didn't wander the streets moaning her name or anything. But I'd never really gotten over her, and in my tortured mind I liked to think she'd never gotten over me either.

I met her in 1997. We were both 24. I was playing an absolute blinder for Inter, and she was presenting an arts show for RAI, the Italian state broadcaster. I'd never heard of her, and she'd never heard of me (in my arrogance I was very impressed by the fact that she didn't know who I was). Massimo Moratti was opening an art gallery, as was his wont, and I trailed over in the knowledge that some very fine wine was available free of charge. Carla trailed over too, no doubt with higher motives than free booze in mind.

We've all seen a few beauties in our time, but this girl was just ridiculous. Olive skinned, dark haired, busty but with a beautifully slim figure. She was like a raven haired, sexier, bustier version of Grace Kelly. When I first laid eyes on her, my heart was beating faster than when I had to take that penalty in injury time of my first Milan derby, and by some miracle, my first conversation with her had the same positive result. Moratti introduced us, and despite the fact that I was a drunken blethering idiot, she found something interesting enough to agree to go on a date.

It must have been a whirlwind courtship, because a few weeks later we were engaged. Being the incredibly smart and classy lady she was, she was contemptuous of the popular press, so we were able to do it all in relative anonymity. The wedding date was set, the future mapped out, everything was perfect. Then of course, I had to go and ruin it.

I can't say for sure why I cheated on her, especially with some tart that wasn't fit to lick her Manolo Blahniks. Over the years, I've come to believe that I thought I didn't really deserve her, and that she'd realise that eventually. Masochism of some sort. Insecurity. Anyway I got caught, and by the time she forgave me I'd gone into a downward spiral, and had been bombed out on loan to Barcelona. I begged with them to send me to another Italian team. They refused point blank. They were determined to get rid of me, but they weren't stupid.

I tried hard to keep it going with Carla. In the end, it fizzled out because of distance.

Anyway all that was 10 years ago, and here was Carla Falsini on the TV screen in front of me, presenting a slightly higher budget version of the same show. I had thought of her from the moment I came back to the city of course, yet was convinced she had moved on and probably had three kids or something.

My eyes zeroed in on her ring finger. Nothing there. My mind recited her phone number. I still knew it without hesitation. My fingers drummed on the table. Maybe she was still free? Yet she must have known I was back in Milan, and I hadn't heard from her. I was drumming on the table again. Should I call her?...

great read man im loving it. Itll be intresting to see how you go in europe more so than the italian league becuase oh the point deductions n so on. but keep it up!

I struggled to get into this at first as I'm still mourning your Rangers story! icon_razz.gif On a serious note I'm glad I've stuck with it. Usually stories around the 'big clubs' - Man Utd, Chelsea, Real, Barca, Inter etc - are a turn off for me, but this is turning into one of the exceptions to the rule.

Thanks man_utd_nz and Welwyn. It's great to know it entertained you, and particularly good to see some quite new readers coming along. It inspired me to do another update when I hadn't intended to for a few days.

Thanks Ockenback, I am still p***ed off at how my Gers story ended too! I know what you mean about big club stories, but Serie A is in such a weird state at the minute I couldn't resist having a pop at managing there!

After a lot of finger tapping, and general fannying around, I finally made the call...and got her answering machine. The first time I didn't leave a message, but that was just silly so I called back and left a short missive, of the "nothing serious, so I can make light of it if ignored" variety. Just to say that I was back in town, had seen her on the TV and wanted to catch up with her.

I then promptly went and got drunk, taking care to unplug the phone. All drunk men phone up ex-girlfriends at some time in their life, and this was too important for me to ruin by leaving a series of idiotic messages that I wouldn't even remember in the morning.

I kept on drinking for a few days actually, made a short visit to Lake Como, during which I was convinced I saw George Clooney riding a motorbike (he apparently has a home in the area), and generally lived like the bum I was. When I came back, there were about 30 messages on my phone, mostly club related business. Then at message number 27, four days after I had called, came the delectable voice of Carla Falsini.

"Ciao. I was so surprised to hear from you. I knew you were back in Milan, but I thought you were probably married with three kids by now," (that part made me laugh). "Anyway, listen, it would be good to catch up with you. But I'm really busy the next little while. I have a lot of work to do for the show, and then at the start of November, I must fly to Buenos Aires to report on a film festival there. But yes, please, call me and we will meet. You can tell me about those three kids of yours!"

I listened to it about 11 times, then unplugged the phone and went and got drunk again. A happy drunk this time.

In the latter half of the international break, Moratti was really s***ting his pants, leaving messages demanding to know "where the hell" I was, and warning me that I'd "better not be on the booze again". I hadn't been seen at the club in just over a week, which I thought was perfectly normal during an international break, but he obviously didn't. I reluctantly went back to work and everything was easily smoothed over, yet it showed the difference in culture and expectations at a club like Inter. I should have known this of course. In fact I did, I just thought I was the golden boy at the minute, what with us top of the league and cruising.

Returning to work rather interfered with my plans to see Carla, though I finally got to talk to her on the phone. I felt a fair bit of electricity when we did, although that might only have been coming from my direction. I bemoaned the fact that we were too busy to get together:

"Take your time," she said. "I'll still be here."

I imagined there was a subliminal message in there for me.

From the glamour of this amazing bird to an away trip to Siena was something of a comedown. Yet there were three points to be won, and I made sure everyone was totally focused on the game. I expected sluggishness after the international break, and I got it. Despite our constant pressure, there was a lack of clear cut openings and incisive finishing. Finally the tension was lifted in first half injury time, when Crespo skinned his man and smashed it into the top corner from 16 yards. We should have buried them from there, instead we only sealed it in injury time of the second period, Stankovic smashing in a corner that was allowed to run to him, from just above the penalty spot.

Three days later we entertained Lyon in the Champions League. With a crucial league tilt with Palermo on the horizon, I shuffled the pack, bringing in Materazzi, Burdisso, Maxwell, Solari, Vieira, Figo and Cruz. I'd like to think this explained the drab game and performance. Despite having much the better of it, we weren't really good enough in key areas to force the win, and I wasn't too concerned since we had practically wrapped up qualification anyway. The only bummer was a serious injury to Vieira, who was carted off with a torn calf muscle, that would keep him out for up to 4 months. Now we were looking light in midfield, and that was my fault.

Now came the crucial league period. Palermo arrived in what was undoubtedly the game of the week. How times had changed. I don't think Palermo were even in Serie B when I was playing here. All credit to them though, they were now serious players. It was a tense game, made all the more so because I was fully expecting to win. When we came off the pitch goal-less at the break I was livid, and ripped into the players, letting off my own nervous steam as much as anything else.

The hairdryer worked the oracle two minutes after the re-start, Camoranesi firing home from an Ibrahimovic rebound, and suddenly the shackles were off. We still underperformed, yet that strike completely broke their resistance, and we cruised home untroubled and deserved winners.

A tricky trip to Udinese followed in midweek, yet this was a much more self-assured performance, as though the tight win over our previous opponents had allowed the lads to relax. Ibrahimovic slotted home 8 minutes in, then Camoranesi killed them off just before the hour, heading in a wicked Recoba cross.

Another big home fixture loomed with Fiorentina at the weekend, and here I clearly made a mistake. The lads were too loose for this one, and I should have realised the warning signs. As soon as the match started I could sense they thought they just had to turn up to win, confirmed by the fact that we were creating scoring chances at will. Problem was we were missing all of them. I started to get that horrible feeling that experienced football watchers get when you know somehow that this isn't your day. Some karma was working against us as we missed chance after chance, then watched as they scored direct from a free kick after 49 minutes. I went bananas on the touchline, and despite all out attack, I knew we wouldn't get it back. The players had to endure a real performance from me at the end, and Grosso mentioned to the media that I had flipped out, which didn't improve my mood.

On the 31st, I compounded one mistake with another, for our away European game with Lyon. I was in a childish sulk, still huffing after the performance at the weekend, surly and refusing to manage the team properly. Not surprisingly they played like drains, falling two behind after 24 minutes. Still in a silly huff, I didn't say anything at half or full time. When we got back to Milan, I realised that I'd been a complete p***k. I called the players together at the baggage lounge and told them so, and they seemed to appreciate that. There were a few laughs at my expense, and the atmosphere lightened noticeably.

It was still a successful month, however soured at the end. The club raked in its usual heavy profit, another one in excess of 4M notes.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Inter | | 9 | 8 | 0 | 1 | 19 | 3 | +16 | 24 |

| 2nd | | Torino | | 9 | 6 | 2 | 1 | 15 | 8 | +7 | 20 |

| 3rd | | Palermo | | 9 | 6 | 0 | 3 | 14 | 9 | +5 | 18 |

| 4th | | Sampdoria | | 9 | 5 | 1 | 3 | 11 | 8 | +3 | 16 |

| 5th | | Roma | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 14 | 11 | +3 | 15 |

| 6th | | Livorno | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 8 | 6 | +2 | 15 |

| 7th | | Udinese | | 9 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 9 | +1 | 14 |

| 8th | | Parma | | 9 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 11 | -1 | 14 |

| 9th | | Empoli | | 9 | 4 | 1 | 4 | 8 | 9 | -1 | 13 |

| 10th | | Chievo | | 9 | 4 | 0 | 5 | 14 | 14 | 0 | 12 |

| 11th | | Siena | | 9 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 8 | 7 | +1 | 11 |

| 12th | | Catania | | 9 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 9 | 13 | -4 | 11 |

| 13th | | Atalanta | | 9 | 2 | 4 | 3 | 5 | 6 | -1 | 10 |

| 14th | | Milan | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 15 | 7 | +8 | 7 |

| 15th | | Lazio | | 9 | 3 | 1 | 5 | 11 | 12 | -1 | 7 |

| 16th | | Fiorentina | | 9 | 6 | 2 | 1 | 10 | 3 | +7 | 5 |

| 17th | | Ascoli | | 9 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 6 | 13 | -7 | 5 |

| 18th | | Messina | | 9 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 5 | 14 | -9 | 5 |

| 19th | | Cagliari | | 9 | 0 | 0 | 9 | 6 | 19 | -13 | 0 |

| 20th | | Reggina | | 9 | 1 | 1 | 7 | 9 | 25 | -16 | -7 |

</pre>

| 1st | | Inter | | 9 | 8 | 0 | 1 | 19 | 3 | +16 | 24 |

| 2nd | | Torino | | 9 | 6 | 2 | 1 | 15 | 8 | +7 | 20 |

| 3rd | | Palermo | | 9 | 6 | 0 | 3 | 14 | 9 | +5 | 18 |

| 4th | | Sampdoria | | 9 | 5 | 1 | 3 | 11 | 8 | +3 | 16 |

| 5th | | Roma | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 14 | 11 | +3 | 15 |

| 6th | | Livorno | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 8 | 6 | +2 | 15 |

| 7th | | Udinese | | 9 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 9 | +1 | 14 |

| 8th | | Parma | | 9 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 11 | -1 | 14 |

| 9th | | Empoli | | 9 | 4 | 1 | 4 | 8 | 9 | -1 | 13 |

| 10th | | Chievo | | 9 | 4 | 0 | 5 | 14 | 14 | 0 | 12 |

| 11th | | Siena | | 9 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 8 | 7 | +1 | 11 |

| 12th | | Catania | | 9 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 9 | 13 | -4 | 11 |

| 13th | | Atalanta | | 9 | 2 | 4 | 3 | 5 | 6 | -1 | 10 |

| 14th | | Milan | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 15 | 7 | +8 | 7 |

| 15th | | Lazio | | 9 | 3 | 1 | 5 | 11 | 12 | -1 | 7 |

| 16th | | Fiorentina | | 9 | 6 | 2 | 1 | 10 | 3 | +7 | 5 |

| 17th | | Ascoli | | 9 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 6 | 13 | -7 | 5 |

| 18th | | Messina | | 9 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 5 | 14 | -9 | 5 |

| 19th | | Cagliari | | 9 | 0 | 0 | 9 | 6 | 19 | -13 | 0 |

| 20th | | Reggina | | 9 | 1 | 1 | 7 | 9 | 25 | -16 | -7 |

</pre>

Continuing nicely, and you're already beginning to build up a nice little lead! When monitoring Serie A during games of mine I've only ever Inter not win Serie A once, when Chievo won with two games to spare. Palermo and Torino usually seem to be there or thereabouts, so it's interesting to see that they're up there at the moment.

I honestly can't see how Inter can't win Serie A - what with the point deductions and Juve being in Serie B. The real challenge for a man of your talents will be to win the treble! icon_wink.gif

Thanks Ockenback. Yes Serie A should be a piece of cake, especially since even if you take away the points deductions, we'd still be in pole position.

It'd be nice to win the whole shop of course, but we'll see how it goes. The League always comes first, and with Serie A not being that strong I'm not sure how far we can go in Europe.

November began with great news on various fronts. By far the most exciting was that Carla and I had found time to have dinner together. Entirely predictably, since we were in Milan, we went to an Italian restaurant. The place was called Benedetti's. We used to go there years earlier. I had a knot of excitement for hours beforehand, and my heart was pounding as I waited outside for her.

When she stepped out of the taxi, she was at least as stunning as I remembered her. We just smiled at eachother and hugged, not saying anything until we were settled inside. It was a fantastic evening. The years rolled back, and it was clear that something was starting all over again. I took her home and left her with a kiss on the cheek. Then I walked home on air.

I had a stupid smile on my face at the club the next day, which was enhanced when I received a phone call from Signor Moratti. Due to the club being in rude financial health, he had decided to increase the transfer budget by a whopping 17.5M to 24.5M. Everything was going great. The only spanner in the works was that Carla was flying out to Buenos Aires for 10 days, though I had a plan for that too.

We prepared for the match away at Catania on the 5th, and in the meantime I asked the scouting department to prepare a list of Argentine players playing for the Buenos Aires clubs that we had some scouting interest in. It was a dirty trick. Recoba put us two up in the game after 18 minutes, with a penalty and a rebound from Crespo's shot. The Argentine striker got on the scoresheet himself after 47, then Catania replied 20 minutes later. Late sub Julio Cruz fired in on 83, and after that satisfactory 4-1 win, no sooner had we arrived back in Milan, than I was on a flight to Buenos Aires, pretending to be on a talent scouting mission. I'd be going to see a phenomenal bit of talent all right, but it had nothing to do with football.

I knew where Carla was staying, and I dropped a backhander to the hotel staff to let me surprise her. I don't want to make anyone puke, or turn this into an episode of The Love Boat, so I'll spare you the details of my 5 days with her in the Argentine capital, save to say it was amazing. Being the impulsive t**t that I was, I also asked her to marry me for the second time, and she said yes for the second time. I didn't regret that at all, though I did pause to recall that I still had Jenny living at my home in Sevenoaks. At least I assumed she was. We hadn't actually spoken in several weeks.

Whilst I was away, I left Sinisa Mihajlovic in charge for the midweek Italian Cup game at home to Sampdoria. I wasn't anticipating anything out of the ordinary, which is always a cert that something out of the ordinary would happen. We beat them 6-4, with Julio Cruz getting all six of our goals, and also having one disallowed. As David Coleman would say, "quite remarkable!"

A good couple of days preparation led into the important home game with Roma. I felt somehow invincible at the moment, which was always a consequence of a happy personal life. Camoranesi smashed us in front in the 1st minute, and halfway through the period, Crespo fired in a Maicon cross. They scored right on half time, which was irritating. I was still super confident though, and Camoranesi headed in a Recoba corner to seal the win after 63 minutes. It was a good performance and confirmed our pre-eminence. The board were pleased with both the result and the very attractive style we were playing in, which is never a bad thing. Moratti then asked me about my scouting mission to Argentina, and I thought I detected a glint in his eye, yet I stayed on message and trotted out the old bull**** about it being a useful exercise.

Adriano returned to full training, though could only make it to the bench for the derby game with AC Milan on the 18th. We were the away side, and I got a fair bit of stick all game long from the Rossoneri fans. It didn't bother me, though the wasting of chance after chance, and the missing of a penalty by Ibrahimovic certainly did. We dominated the game, and would have been unhappy with the draw, only for them to steal it in the 93rd minute with a goal direct from a free kick. I was annoyed, but not furious. The game was shorn of its usual intense atmosphere. The points deduction meant that our opponents were so far behind that they practically needed snookers to catch us in the league.

Midweek saw the visit of Anderlecht in the Champions League, and the return to the starting line-up of Adriano. He scored a straightforward goal after 19 minutes, then 4 minutes later Stankovic rifled one in from the edge of the box to put our opponents firmly in their place. Our returning Brazilian then headed in a floated Figo cross 7 minutes before the break. Ibrahimovic then lashed in a quick double in 6 minutes after the hour. After a reply from the visitors, Stankovic provided an exclamation point with a blistering 25 yarder in injury time. We had qualified in good style.

After the game we discovered that Camoranesi would be out for a month with an ankle sprain, though I was satisfied that wouldn't disrupt us too much in the upcoming fixture at home to Cagliari on the 26th. Adriano was at it again 16 minutes in, heading in a Maicon cross. Figo then doubled our lead when he nutted in a similar cross from Recoba two minutes before the interval. It was easy enough, yet we were by no means outstanding. Maybe I was becoming spoilt and greedy.

The month closed with the away second league to Sampdoria in the cup. As always I couldn't give a toss about this one, and sent out our reserve side. Despite a goal in the 1st minute for them, goals from Cambiasso and Solari, the latter from the spot, ensured comfortable progression. Everything was going according to plan, not least for the board, who pulled in another hefty profit (6M) for the month.

With a Champions League knockout spot in the bag, every reserve was in for the trip to Warsaw to face Legia. Stankovic had injured his foot, and would miss 3 weeks, so couldn't play in any case. At least Zanetti was now on the verge of returning, though not soon enough for this one.

I was surprised by how cosmopolitan and developed the city was. I was expecting some spartan post communist hellhole. With nothing on the line, I took time to see a bit of the city, and it was a pleasant enough diversion. The Christian architecture in particular was almost the equal of Milan.

The game wasn't quite as pleasant a spectacle. They took the lead after 24 minutes, whilst our team was utterly disjointed in everything we did. I didn't give a toss of course, yet was pleased when Figo saved our blushes with a 66th minute equaliser, direct from a free kick. We should have won easily, however I wasn't about to waste time ranting and raving over a game which was, broadly speaking, irrelevant.

Of more importance was our home tilt with Torino on the weekend. Injuries had begun to ravage us. Figo picked up an injury in the last match and would be missing for two weeks. I was struggling to pick a half decent midfield. Solari came in on the left, moving Recoba to the centre, whilst a half fit Zanetti was forced on us at right midfield.

It was a drab game with lots of pressure from us, and no breakthrough in the first half. I got very irritable at the interval. The way I saw it, injuries were no excuse. I was boiling on the sidelines through an equally rancid 2nd half, then in the 89th minute, Recoba slipped in Ibrahimovic, who did what he was paid to do. The crowd went bananas, and the pressure was released, yet I was still irritable that it had taken this long. It should have been about 5-0 except for our incompetence in front of goal.

I was expecting much better 4 days later, with our midweek trip to Atalanta. There were no changes, which was enforced. And this time we played a bit more like serious professional footballers. Recoba drove in at the back post after 10 minutes, sneaking on to a cross that had evaded everyone else. I expected the flood gates to open. However they didn't. The home side never threatened us at all, though they did fight hard and denied us any further score. It was a hard fought win. Harder fought than it should have been anyway, though I gave credit to our opponents.

When the news came through on the 15th that we would face Chelsea in the Champions League knockout phase, my first reaction was that we would probably get slaughtered. It wasn't for a long time yet, so at least we might be able to get our full strength side out, and maybe make a signing or two before then, though anyone that we did sign would most likely be cup-tied anyway.

Of more pressing interest was a visit to bottom dwellers Reggina, and we were able to welcome back Stankovic and Figo. A familiar name stimied us in the first half, former Sunderland stopper Jurgen Macho. The dam finally broke in 1st half injury time, when Ibrahimovic beat the aforementioned keeper to a cross, nodding us into the lead. Recoba sealed it with 2 second half goals in as many minutes. First striking fabulously into the top corner, from the left corner of the area, then another stunner from close to 30 yards. An easy win in the end, but still we weren't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment.

Games continued thick and fast, with a potentially trick home game against Livorno. The same irritating scenario played out. They came to frustrate us, and did a very good job of it, whilst I seethed on the touchline. With 7 minutes left, Ibrahimovic latched on to a bad pass and chipped in. Again they made us fight all the way, but we weren't lucky. We were pulverising them the whole game, leaving me concerned about the finishing.

Matters would be helped by the return of Camoranesi to training. From a personal point of view, another international break came at just the right time. It was time to forget about football for 2 weeks, despite what Moratti might say, and enjoy the new found excitement in my personal life.

I spent Christmas with Carla, not that either of us was particularly a Christmas person. Her parents had emigrated late in life to New York, so she was entirely available for the holidays. My parents were in Canada, having a nice time of it. They were very pleased to hear that I was back together with her, and didn't waste the opportunity to tell me that I had been a "complete idiot" for letting her go in the first place. They had always said was "a cut above" all the other girls I had presented to them.

That wasn't fair actually, although Carla was special beyond belief. My mind wandered to Jenny and though I tried to get in touch with her at my place there was no answer. I assumed she had buggered off. I certainly wasn't a coward in most areas of life, but in terms of dealing with tricky personal issues, I most assuredly was. I just left it as it was.

The festivites went well, and like I said, we were so compatible, it was as though we had never been away from eachother.

One of the minor things that made her so amazing was that she didn't mind me going out with the lads now and then to get a full load on. My old Match Of The Day sparring partner Alan Hansen flew in after the Boxing Day fixtures were over in England, and we had a right good time of it. He was salivating over Carla, saying she was "even better than that other gorgeous doll with the huge t**s", as he tastefully referred to Jenny. As usual, his hormones were in full flow. He got his end away before he left, with some tart he picked up in The Duomo. Although it was not quite true to say he picked her up. I was acting as translator, and when he said "just tell her I'd love to f**k her", I was translating it as something like, "your eyes light up the room like stars in the heavens".

I was feeling suitably energised when I returned to work early in January. Moratti was hyper too, urging me to make signings in the re-opened transfer window, telling me that "money was no object". Well it was actually, considering the players I wanted, though I didn't say anything and got on with the job of trying to improve us.

Our first match after the break was a visit to Sampdoria on the 7th. We managed to get our full-strength line-up on the field for a change, and that certainly helped. Adriano pounced on a rebound after a tight opening 25 minutes, though the game didn't loosen up at all afterwards. We conceded just after half time, and I was thinking "here we go again". It was a case of that, since we also got our usual late winner. The home side were more difficult to break down than nuclear waste, and it took a 30 yard screamer from Ibrahimovic in the 90th minute to hand us the points. We fully deserved to win, yet teams were making it so damned hard for us. Why wouldn't they of course? It was difficult for me to watch from the sidelines though.

I expected better at home to Empoli in a midweek Italian Cup 1st leg. The reserves were in again, and Julio Cruz put us on the board after 21 minutes, a deflected free kick. It was pretty much one-way traffic, and Recoba doubled our advantage on 41, with a diving header. Once again we conceded sloppily after half-time, but Figo restored our lead on 65, with a nicely flighted free kick. The visitors came out a little more, allowing the necessary space for Crespo to turn his man and drill home with 13 minutes left. They scored again on 82, courtesy of a dreadful Zanetti backpass, and whilst 4-2 was a handy win, it was by no means nailed down, as it should have been.

Increasingly, I was becoming concerned about my Argentine skipper too. He hadn't produced much this season, and had been injured a fair bit. I hadn't the heart to unceremoniously dump him just yet. Instead I was going to look around for a replacement and let him fade into a utility role. He deserved that much, which is more loyalty than the club showed me when I was ruthlessly purged eight years earlier.

True to Moratti's wishes, I was looking to spend big. When the fans got hold of a story that I was trying to get Buffon from Juventus, call-in shows were beseiged with negative reaction. I thought that was crazy, since the only logic behind it was that he had played for Juventus and was somehow damaged goods. All I saw was one of the world's leading keepers, who would massively improve what I considered to be a weak area of the team. In any case, Juve were highly resistant to my overtures, and I didn't think this one was going to come to fruition anytime soon.

Messina arrived on the 14th, and I was expecting an easy win. Camoranesi knocked in a cross after 11 minutes, and the result was never really in doubt. It took another 30 yard screamer, this time from Adriano to put the seal on things. This time however, there was no nailbiting involved. It was a regulation win.

The Cup quarter final second leg at Empoli came in midweek. I chanced my arm again with the reserves, warning them against complacency. Sure enough we were completely in control of a dreadful game, which we eventually won 1-0, on the strength of Solari's 56th minute bicycle kick. The semi drew us against Juventus. Due to their relegation punishment, this didn't have quite the caché of earlier years. It was still a biggie though.

At the weekend, we entertained Chievo which promised to be tricky. Fortunately, Ibrahimovic was in rollicking form, out-jumping the keeper for the first after 20 minutes, then firing in low on the stroke of half time. They had a man sent off soon after the re-start, then it was time for Adriano to show off. He nutted in a corner soon after, then seconds before the final whistle, finsihed expertly from just inside the area.

Somehow, without really setting the world alight, we'd racked up 8 straight wins in the league, which had to be a good sign. The next morning's papers carried quotes from the President about how happy he was with the way we were playing. There walso a crummy story about Figo being too old, and questioning my judgement in involving him in the squad. He was having a good season, especially for his age, and as far as I was concerened, it was garbage.

Just prior to the home first leg of the Cup on the 24th, Vieira returned to training, but unfortunately was unfit to play. I sent out the best possible side, and the San Siro was just about full, unusual for one of these games. Adriano blasted us in front from 25 yards, just before the half-hour. Then Recoba added a 42nd minute penalty, and we were in full control. Camoranesi made it three with a header 8 minutes from time. And although Trezeguet gave them hope with a late goal, it was an advantage I expected to be good enough for the return leg.

The next day I pedalled Burdisso for 3.1M to Sevilla. Not that he was a bad player or anything, he just wasn't good enough to get in this team. I had a number of transfer irons in the fire, and the President was constantly on my back about new signings. In particular I was stalking Giorgio Chiellini an outstanding U-21 international left back with Juve. They were making life very difficult for me about the fee, so I was also looking at Palermo's Italy international right back Christian Zaccardo. It was difficult, but I was hopeful I could get something done.

Also difficult was our visit to Lazio on the 28th. We conceded a softie early on, and it took until just before the break to find an equaliser, Recoba heading in a Zanetti cross. I tried to really wind the players up at half time (without bollocking them), and Ibrahimovic responded with a powerful run and finish on 54. I thought we just shaded the game, and was delighted to come away with the win, although I would have accepted a draw, since the home side worked hard and I wouldn't have begrudged them a point.

With the deadline now two days away, Moratti was really sweating me now. With great speed, I moved to sign Antonio Cassano from Real Madrid for 8.75M. His contract called for 45K/week and a 1.6M signing on fee. I was delighted to capture a young Italian international, yet the fans and board were completely underwhelmed. Fortunately I had Zaccardo almost in the bag for 12M. Then the s**t hit the fan.

I was in my office on the 30th when I was summoned up to see the head honcho. I walked in and he had a great big grin on his face.

"I've just signed Eric Abidal for 11M from Lyon," he beamed.

"Who the f**k is Eric Abidal?" I complained.

"The French international left back," he said sternly. I had a vague idea who he meant.

"Well I've just arranged to buy Zaccardo from Palermo for 12M. I hope you're going to stand behind the deal."

"Umm. Well. The budget has now been spent. All but 4M or so. So no is the answer to that question."

"You c**t!!" I said, not giving a damn about the consequences. "What did you do that for?"

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" he shouted. "This is Italy, this is my club, this is my money. Now you go back to work. Ok?"

I snarled something under my breath and stormed out.

The last day of the month saw us visit Turin, for the cup semi 2nd leg. It was a dire game, all that mattered was the 1-1 draw which saw us into the final. For the record, Eric Abidal came on as a 2nd half sub. I had to admit he was a good player, he just wasn't my player. Then again, Moratti had a point. It wasn't my money I was spending, it was his. Speaking of which, we lost 17M for the month, which when excluding transfers, was actually a profit of a couple of million.

| 1st | | Inter | | 21 | 19 | 0 | 2 | 44 | 8 | +36 | 57 |

| 2nd | | Palermo | | 21 | 14 | 4 | 3 | 36 | 16 | +20 | 46 |

| 3rd | | Sampdoria | | 21 | 12 | 3 | 6 | 33 | 20 | +13 | 39 |

| 4th | | Roma | | 22 | 11 | 6 | 5 | 34 | 27 | +7 | 39 |

| 5th | | Chievo | | 22 | 12 | 2 | 8 | 35 | 27 | +8 | 38 |

| 6th | | Torino | | 21 | 9 | 7 | 5 | 28 | 21 | +7 | 34 |

| 7th | | Milan | | 21 | 11 | 6 | 4 | 25 | 12 | +13 | 31 |

| 8th | | Livorno | | 21 | 8 | 6 | 7 | 22 | 26 | -4 | 30 |

| 9th | | Fiorentina | | 21 | 12 | 6 | 3 | 27 | 13 | +14 | 27 |

| 10th | | Lazio | | 21 | 9 | 3 | 9 | 30 | 26 | +4 | 27 |

| 11th | | Empoli | | 22 | 7 | 5 | 10 | 22 | 26 | -4 | 26 |

| 12th | | Parma | | 21 | 7 | 5 | 9 | 19 | 23 | -4 | 26 |

| 13th | | Catania | | 21 | 7 | 4 | 10 | 22 | 26 | -4 | 25 |

| 14th | | Udinese | | 21 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 24 | 28 | -4 | 25 |

| 15th | | Siena | | 21 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 16 | 19 | -3 | 24 |

| 16th | | Ascoli | | 21 | 5 | 3 | 13 | 18 | 30 | -12 | 18 |

| 17th | | Atalanta | | 22 | 4 | 6 | 12 | 11 | 22 | -11 | 18 |

| 18th | | Messina | | 21 | 1 | 6 | 14 | 14 | 38 | -24 | 9 |

| 19th | | Cagliari | | 21 | 2 | 3 | 16 | 18 | 44 | -26 | 9 |

| 20th | | Reggina | | 21 | 3 | 5 | 13 | 15 | 41 | -26 | 3 |

</pre>

Four days into February, we headed to Parma. Vieira returned to the side in place of the suspended Cambiasso. We were heavy favourites, and the guys looked sharp. Stankovic lofted one in that Ibrahimovic finished nicely on 23. A very similar goal, this time involving Camoranesi and Adriano after 64, gave us a very professional win.

The following day, quite out of the blue, I received a phone call from the agent for Cesc Fabregas, or at least someone claiming to be. Apparently, the guy was very interested in joining us, which was nice to know. I was wary of course, and just said we would love him, but there was no way we could afford him. Certainly though, if Moratti splashed the cash in the Summer, he would be one of the guys we would be very interested in. Stankovic was irritating me, not with his play, which was superb, but with his ridiculous contract demands, which seemed to escalate every week almost. He would have to go at the end of the season.

We returned to the San Siro on the 11th, to face Ascoli. Vieira retained his place, and Materazzi replaced the slightly injured Samuel. It was an intensely frustrating game. We had two penalties turned down, quite ridiculously in my view, and then a disallowed goal. That's pretty much all there is to report, since we completely dominated the game, yet came away with a 0-0 scoreline, our first league draw of the season.

A re-arranged home game with Siena followed on the 17th. As usual we enjoyed heavy pressure, and this time the opposition didn't keep us out for too long. Ibrahimovic outpaced the defence and drove in after 37 minutes. Adriano extended our lead 4 minutes later, pulling down a cross and clinically finishing. I thought the guys relaxed a bit from there, yet we still got the win easily enough, so I didn't start moaning about it afterwards.

Another three days later and the biggest fixture of the season arrived, the home leg of our Champions League tie with Chelsea. There was a huge build up prior to the game which I studiously ignored, and instructed the players to do likewise. The atmosphere on the night was electric in the ground, and the players really responded to it. We started off all over them, and after 15 minutes, Ibrahimovic crossed and Adriano buried it. Eight minutes later, Grosso crossed and Adriano brilliantly turned and finished, provoking bedlam in the stadium. We had them reeling now. After 26, Ibrahimovic latched on to a long ball, and with no Blues defender in sight, waltzed in on goal to score our third.

At that moment, I was urged by the coaching staff to fall back and defend, but it just wasn't in my nature, and certainly not this early in the game. Lampard pulled one back after 57 minutes, with a 25 yard shot that I could have saved standing on one leg. I was absolutely furious with Julio Cesar for letting in a softie in this, of all games. I would have been delighted with 3-1, and it looked that way, until 4 minutes later, Joe Cole lashed in another 25 yarder. At least this one was a half decent shot, but from 3-0 to 3-2 at the end was very disappointing.

I had never met Jose Mourinho before, and was looking forward to it, as I thought we were pretty similar. I felt that we both liked to feign arrogance to annoy stupid people who weren't clever enough to see through it, and didn't take life that seriously. When I shook his hand at the end, I said with a smile:

"I would say bad luck, but I thought you were lucky, so I'll just say well played."

He laughed heartily. "I was just thinking that Il Mato." (I was surprised he knew my nickname).

"Come upstairs and have a drink."

"I would like to but they arranged for us to fly out straight away. We'll do that after the second leg at the Bridge."

"Fair enough."

For our next game at Empoli on the 25th, I dropped Cesar and brought in Toldo. Abidal, who was inelligible for the Champions League, made his first league start. After 6 minutes, Camoranesi cut it back, and Vieira was the Johnny-on-the-spot. Stankovic added a diving header just before half time, which was more than enough for the win. Sadly though, Vieira tore his calf muscle again, and would miss another four months. His season was over, and I was wondering if his career at this club was too. I wanted him to stay, but there wasn't much point if he never made it on to the field.

On the last day of February, we visited 2nd placed Palermo. Vieira and Ibrahimovic (who was suspended) were replaced by Cambiasso and Cassano. It was a very poor game, and a lame display from both teams. We conceded the goal which lost us the game after 35 minutes. At least we still had a handy cushion at the top, and the team was allowed one bad performance every so often, though I was angry at the time, and let them have it after the match.

A productive February came to a close with a profit of 2.3M.

| 1st | | Inter | | 26 | 22 | 1 | 3 | 50 | 9 | +41 | 67 |

| 2nd | | Palermo | | 26 | 15 | 7 | 4 | 39 | 20 | +19 | 52 |

| 3rd | | Roma | | 26 | 13 | 8 | 5 | 41 | 30 | +11 | 47 |

| 4th | | Chievo | | 26 | 14 | 3 | 9 | 41 | 31 | +10 | 45 |

| 5th | | Milan | | 26 | 15 | 7 | 4 | 35 | 16 | +19 | 44 |

| 6th | | Sampdoria | | 26 | 13 | 5 | 8 | 36 | 26 | +10 | 44 |

| 7th | | Torino | | 26 | 11 | 9 | 6 | 36 | 27 | +9 | 42 |

| 8th | | Fiorentina | | 26 | 16 | 7 | 3 | 36 | 17 | +19 | 40 |

| 9th | | Livorno | | 26 | 10 | 7 | 9 | 31 | 33 | -2 | 37 |

| 10th | | Parma | | 26 | 10 | 6 | 10 | 27 | 26 | +1 | 36 |

| 11th | | Lazio | | 26 | 11 | 4 | 11 | 38 | 32 | +6 | 34 |

| 12th | | Siena | | 26 | 8 | 8 | 10 | 19 | 22 | -3 | 31 |

| 13th | | Udinese | | 26 | 8 | 7 | 11 | 28 | 38 | -10 | 31 |

| 14th | | Catania | | 26 | 8 | 6 | 12 | 31 | 35 | -4 | 30 |

| 15th | | Empoli | | 26 | 8 | 6 | 12 | 26 | 35 | -9 | 30 |

| 16th | | Atalanta | | 26 | 5 | 8 | 13 | 13 | 25 | -12 | 23 |

| 17th | | Ascoli | | 26 | 5 | 7 | 14 | 20 | 34 | -14 | 22 |

| 18th | | Messina | | 26 | 1 | 7 | 18 | 15 | 45 | -30 | 10 |

| 19th | | Cagliari | | 26 | 2 | 3 | 21 | 18 | 51 | -33 | 9 |

| 20th | | Reggina | | 26 | 4 | 6 | 16 | 21 | 49 | -28 | 7 |

</pre>

March's action began on the 3rd, at home to Udinese. Ibrahimovic returned, but it was Adriano who chose this day to create a sensation. In the opening minutes, he skipped past his marker and chipped delightfully in. Stankovic played him in on 26, and this time it was a power finish. He then produced a top corner from 25 yards job 8 minutes later, to complete one of the best hat-tricks you could ever imagine. Just before the break, Stankovic got in on the act, benefitting from a deflection to get an easy tap-in. Either side of the hour, two more goals came. Ibrahimovic finished easily from a Solari cross, then another sub, Cassano, laid him on for a similarly easy goal. Cassano then got his first for the club from a tight angle with 6 minutes left. That was more like it! I told the lads they were nothing short of sensational. Not even negative media coverage at the weekend, first concerning Toldo's continuing selection by me, and Stankovic whining about his contract could take the gloss off it. What's more, it was the perfect preparation for the return leg with Chelsea.

As soon as we arrived in London for the game the hype was obvious. A one goal win would be enough for them, any scoring by us would make it dicey for them. Again I shunned the media, and kept the pressure off the lads. All we did was train, and then also go to one of London's top Italian restaurants for dinner. The lads seemed relaxed.

Little did I know the match would live up to the hype, especially after they scored in the first minute. We were in disarray for some reason, and conceded again after 22. I went all out attack at half-time, yet we seemed doomed when they scored again on 63. Less than 2 minutes later, Ibrahimovic got us back in it with a neat finish. All we needed was one more to force extra time. Now the pressure reverted to them. They defended manfully, then almost with the last kick of the game, the ball broke to Ibrahimovic, who stormed in on Cech and slid it home. The crowd was crestfallen, except for our fans in one corner of the ground. Our bench and team was going nuts as well. I wasn't, and calmed everybody down. We'd achieved nothing more than extending the game.

That point was brought home to us when they scored again 7 minutes into extra time. It was an irrelevant goal, since if we scored we'd win on away goals, so the scenario was little different to us. In the second half of extras, Cordoba laid a long punt forward and Adriano completely outpaced their defence to slam home. This time I set up the barricades, and we hung on grimly to win on away goals! The groan around the Bridge was audible as the referee put the whistle to his lips. Our lot went mad of course, though I tried to retain some decorum, releasing my joy in the dressing room afterwards. I told the lads I was proud of their comeback, and we would stay in London overnight since we'd won, so they could celebrate all they like. There was a huge cheer to that.

I went upstairs where Mourinho very graciously had a drink with me. There was no doubt that when he made the offer in Milan, he thought he'd be doing it as a winning manager. Yet he was very generous, and we had a very long chat, not just about football. It went on so late in fact, that by the time it broke up the players had already left to go back to the hotel.

That other p***k Kenyon was there too, and I just blanked him. Interestingly enough, so too did Mourinho. It must have been galling for the baldy b****rd to watch me savour the victory in their club bar, and that certainly added to the enjoyment.

The next day good news filtered through. After quiet and productive negotiations (unlike those with Stankovic), Adriano signed a new 5 year contract at 60K/week. He had years left on his old one, which the club pointed out, but I fought on his behalf, because in football terms, he was being underpaid for his superb contributions. Also that day, we discovered that we would be playing Roma in the Champions League quarters. They were a known quantity, and one which I felt we could beat into the bargain.

At the weekend, we travelled to Fiorentina, and the European hangover was obvious. The players looked tired and underperformed, against a highly motivated side. The game was very poor quality, considering the players on show. It was eventually decided when we conceded in the 77th minute, and we never looked like coming back. I was angry afterwards, though it wasn't one of my real performances. I was as much disappointed as angry. Especially since news came through that Adriano would miss several weeks with a foot injury.

I expected a big reaction on the 18th, at home to Catania, even though I put all the reserves in. I made the decision because quite simply, the first choice stars were knackered. I expected the reserves to be really up for it, instead they were garbage as well. Crespo got one straight after a half-time tantrum from me, yet just 4 minutes later the visitors pegged us back. It was garbage, and I didn't want us to make a habit of it, but the title was still in hand, and the big stars did need rest.

As if to emphasise the workload, news came on the 27th that Walter Samuel had done his back in, a slipped disc that probably did for the rest of his season. On the same day, I accepted a 2 year extension on 36.5K/week. I wasn't sure if I would stay 2 years, however it was nice to have the security, not that I needed the money or anything. Still I'd take it. I made sure the announcement was made with no fuss, so it didn't distract from our preparations for upcoming games.

On the 31st we visited Roma in the league. We were in hot form, all over them. A Recoba special, blasting in a free kick, got us started (24). Nine minutes later, Ibrahimovic doubled it with a long range chip. The same player then knocked in an Adriano cross, to easily seal the points. We stayed in the capital, because our next game was just a few days away, against the same opponent, in the Champions League. I'd take the same result in that one any day of the week, although I had a feeling it would be a lot more difficult than that day's game.

| 1st | | Inter | | 30 | 24 | 2 | 4 | 61 | 11 | +50 | 74 |

| 2nd | | Palermo | | 30 | 18 | 7 | 5 | 46 | 24 | +22 | 61 |

| 3rd | | Roma | | 30 | 15 | 9 | 6 | 48 | 35 | +13 | 54 |

| 4th | | Milan | | 30 | 18 | 8 | 4 | 41 | 17 | +24 | 54 |

| 5th | | Fiorentina | | 30 | 20 | 7 | 3 | 43 | 18 | +25 | 52 |

| 6th | | Sampdoria | | 30 | 15 | 6 | 9 | 43 | 27 | +16 | 51 |

| 7th | | Chievo | | 30 | 15 | 4 | 11 | 44 | 36 | +8 | 49 |

| 8th | | Torino | | 30 | 12 | 10 | 8 | 41 | 35 | +6 | 46 |

| 9th | | Parma | | 30 | 12 | 8 | 10 | 31 | 27 | +4 | 44 |

| 10th | | Livorno | | 30 | 12 | 8 | 10 | 37 | 37 | 0 | 44 |

| 11th | | Lazio | | 30 | 12 | 5 | 13 | 42 | 38 | +4 | 38 |

| 12th | | Udinese | | 30 | 9 | 8 | 13 | 30 | 47 | -17 | 35 |

| 13th | | Siena | | 30 | 9 | 8 | 13 | 24 | 29 | -5 | 34 |

| 14th | | Catania | | 30 | 8 | 8 | 14 | 32 | 39 | -7 | 32 |

| 15th | | Empoli | | 30 | 8 | 7 | 15 | 27 | 43 | -16 | 31 |

| 16th | | Ascoli | | 30 | 6 | 8 | 16 | 23 | 38 | -15 | 26 |

| 17th | | Atalanta | | 30 | 5 | 10 | 15 | 15 | 30 | -15 | 25 |

| 18th | | Reggina | | 30 | 6 | 8 | 16 | 28 | 53 | -25 | 15 |

| 19th | | Messina | | 30 | 2 | 8 | 20 | 21 | 50 | -29 | 14 |

| 20th | | Cagliari | | 30 | 3 | 3 | 24 | 20 | 63 | -43 | 12 |

</pre>

• 2 weeks later...

I felt that staying down in Rome ahead of the Champions League encounter had helped to build team spirit, which was already terrific to begin with. We went to the cinema, and did some paintballing, during which I allowed the players to give me a thorough shooting up. They really enjoyed that one. The coaching staff took their revenge. I had them all hiding behind some shrubbery and they then jumped out and opened up on the players. The laughter and mickey-taking went on long into the night, and it was magnificent for team unity.

The atmosphere was as hostile as one would have expected for the match. They were silenced, and demoralised to an extent, by a bizzare goal for us after 13 minutes. Grosso launched a long punt downfield which their keeper seemed to be completely fooled by. The ball scooted past him and Ibrahimovic breezed after it to smash it in to the empty net. Then the home side were undressed 6 minutes before half-time. Zanetti crossed for a wide open Ibrahimovic, who in a brilliant and unselfish piece of play, squared for Adriano to tap in. That was sufficient for us and I sent the lads out in the second period to kill the game, which they did very professionally. It was a thoroughly well deserved win. Roma moaned about a disallowed goal that was a mile offside, but they were lucky they weren't beaten much more heavily.

On the weekend came the Milan derby, and I was surprised that we were second favourites. I used that to fire up the lads before the start. We got underway after 7 minutes when Camoranesi sent in a brilliant raking ball, which Adriano finished in his usual, effortless style. We had all the chances in that half, and it worried me that we went in only one up. I told the lads to keep on trucking, and in the 63rd minute we got our reward. Camoranesi this time produced a penetrating cross, which ran to Ibrahimovic, who blistered in a cross shot finish. The lads were sensational. The fans in the Curva Nord gave the team and me a hell of a reception all throughout the game, and the chant of "Il Mato! Il Mato! Il Mato li amiamo!" at the end of the game nearly shook the grand old stadium to its foundations. It shook my foundations too. We were on a roll, spirit in the camp was brilliant, and we felt unbeatable. Moratti, the fans, and everyone connected with the club knew we were going great guns too, and it was a terrific feeling to be at the head of it all.

Another major game came in midweek, with the Cup second leg at home to Juventus. It threatened to go pear shaped after 5 minutes when Materazzi was sent off for a careless elbow. However, Adriano killed the tie (if it wasn't dead already) with a goal from a tight angle after 18 minutes. He added a late penalty as well for a surprisingly easy win. Though even with 10 men, we were clearly the better side. The only spanner in the works was a groin injury to Stankovic, which would see him lost to us for 3 weeks.

On the Friday came the Champions League draw, and we got Man United. It was a huge game of course, however I didn't see any point in pontificating about it. Unlike some people, I had a good relationship with Alex Ferguson, and we both knew there would be little point trying to bull**** eachother.

The weekend saw us visit Cagliari. They were struggling, and with a comfortable lead at the top, I plugged in every reserve I thought I could get away with. It was a rancid game from the first minute till last, which I'd thought we'd won by virtue of a 78th minute Crespo penalty, only for them to equalise in injury time. It was a poor and embarrassing performance. Still, we were a few miles ahead in the league, so I wasn't going to lose any sleep over it.

All the regulars returned for the Italian Cup Final 1st Leg at the San Siro. It seemed like we'd played Roma about 50 times this season, and while that got a little stale, we never got tired of beating them. We dominated the game as we had against them all season. No goal came though, which led to an increasingly rare tantrum from me in the dressing room. In the 58th minute, Adriano broke through and the finish was never in doubt. The game failed to open up as I anticipated. After a great chance was cleared in the 90th minute, Camoranesi hammered in from the edge of the area, to give us an advantage which I felt would be enough to win the trophy.

The weekend fixture had us entertaining Reggina. With the Champions League game upcoming, the reserves made another appearence. Before the game, Cordoba took a bow on the field having signed a new 3 year contract worth 5 million, and then it was down to business as usual. Julio Cruz scored a fairly simple goal after 12 minutes, and Crespo added a second, a totally unchallenged half volley from a Figo cross, with 6 minutes to go before the interval. Totally against the run of play, and any football logic, they scored after 73, but sub Choutos restored some sanity to the scoreline with a tap in 6 minutes later. An easy win.

The next afternoon, Palermo could only draw with Milan, and we were champions of Serie A. Mission number one had been accomplished, and despite the usual media feeding frenzy, and the opportunity for clapped out ex-legends to crawl out of the woodwork and give their opinions, there was no time to relax. We were already preparing for the biggest game of our season.

I kept myself and the players completely out of the hype, though it was nice to have a media exchange with Ferguson along the lines of "I hope the best team wins". I was forced to play Tudor at centre back due to suspensions and injuries, although I had plenty of confidence in him. We made a disastrous start to the game. They were all over us, then before we knew it, Zanetti was receiving his marching orders for two yellows after 29 minutes. I was fuming, partly at the player, also at the overzealousness of the ref, which had of course ruined the game for everyone apart from United fans. We had no option but to fall back defensively. In the 50th minute, Adriano missed a great chance that he would normally have scored with a fag on. Six minutes later Camoranesi launched one into the box, and Ibrahimovic gave us an unlikely, and not undeserved lead. It only lasted 6 minutes before Scholes scored, then with 9 minutes left, wide open Wayne Rooney was allowed to fire home the winning goal. The sending of killed us in this game, and I said so afterwards to the media. I didn't give a damn if the authorities didn't like it. In addition to his incompetent meddling that saw Zanetti suspended for the 2nd leg, he also booked Ibrahimovic, meaning he would miss the return leg too. We were doomed as far as I saw it, though I didn't for a minute project an air of defeatism to anyone but my inner self.

A home league date with Atalanta was a supreme irrelevance, decided by two free kicks from Recoba. Cordoba got sent off for a pro foul too, so we were being nothing if not consistent. An 11.9M profit for the month was pleasing for the club and particularly the board, as we jetted off for Manchester. It was a tie I felt we had no chance of winning and I would rather have been home with Carla, but this was the life of a football manager.

The pressure was off with not expecting to get through against United, and I tried to create this impression with the players. We were struggling to get a full side out. It got even worse 6 minutes into the game, when Cordoba went down, and we were forced to play Cambiasso at centre back. This was getting ugly. It was a bit of an ugly game too. The scoring was finally opened by United in the 51st minute. Fifteen minutes later, Adriano blasted in a spectacular 30 yarder. Four minutes after that, Crespo picked up a rebound and gave us the lead, but we still needed another one. They got a fluke deflected goal with 12 minutes left, which was pretty irrelevant, since we needed another one to win the tie anyway. With a minute left, O'Shea mystifyingly passed it straight to Julio Cruz in front of his own net, and we had the scoreline that would advance us. I pulled everyone back to hang on, and just as I did, the lucky ba****ds scored of course, and that was that.

I said to Fergie afterwards that it would have been a miracle if we'd won with the injuries we'd had, and wished them luck for the final. He saluted the guts in our side, bearing in mind all the players we'd lost, and said we'd had them worried for a minute. We piled into a bottle of whisky in his office, since I was going back to Italy the day after the players. I was heading down to London to appear at a charitable event, which I had been embarrassed into attending by a charming young lady who had sent me a letter about clean water in Africa. A couple of charitable events and a few donations every year kept my conscience clean.

I missed Carla so much that I flew her in to meet me the next morning, then we flew back to Milan that night. I didn't go in to work for a few days, because the season was effectively over, having won Serie A and been dumped out of the Champions League.

On the 6th we visited Torino for an extraordinarily tiresome draw, a game we should have won, then hightailed it down to Rome for the second leg of the cup final against Roma. I knew we'd win, so it was a bit of a shock when we lost 3-0 and couged up the trophy. I was livid with everything: the result, the performance and also the refereeing, which made me think there might be another scandal going on in Italian football. When I bawled out the team afterwards, Materazzi spoke back to me. I was so furious I told him then and there that he'd played his last game for the club, which certainly shut him up. Still in a fit of pique on the flight home, I gave instructions to also transfer list Zanetti, Stankovic, and Cruz.

I was thoroughly fed up with football, and informed Moratti that I was going on holiday with immediate effect. He wasn't happy, considering there were three meaningless games left in the league. I told him I had to go away for the sake of my sanity, which was partly true. The other part was that I wanted to get away with Carla for as long as possible. He reluctantly agreed, since I left him with no choice but to fire me, which he wasn't prepared to do. As soon as it had been foisted on him, I felt embarrassed and apologised. It was a display of petulance and unprofessionalism, and I realised that I had put the club in a spot about how to explain it to the media and the fans. Moratti softened when I expressed remorse for being childish. He laughed and told me to "f**k off" in Italian, reminding me on the way out that I wouldn't be getting paid for the time I was away. That was fine with me.

The team finished with three wins, whilst I was gallivanting around the world with Carla. We had a marvelous time, first in Rio, then in Cape Town, before jetting back to Milan, and a weekend at Lake Como. By the time I arrived back in the 2nd week of June plenty had happened. In the meantime the club had raked in a 19M profit for the month, but it was time to asses the players' performance and start the plans for next season.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Holders - Inter

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | ECC | Inter | | 38 | 30 | 4 | 4 | 75 | 15 | +60 | 94 |

| 2nd | ECC | Palermo | | 38 | 23 | 9 | 6 | 58 | 29 | +29 | 78 |

| 3rd | ECC | Fiorentina | | 38 | 24 | 11 | 3 | 57 | 24 | +33 | 68 |

| 4th | ECC | Milan | | 38 | 21 | 12 | 5 | 51 | 22 | +29 | 67 |

| 5th | EC | Sampdoria | | 38 | 19 | 9 | 10 | 54 | 33 | +21 | 66 |

| 6th | EC | Chievo | | 38 | 20 | 6 | 12 | 58 | 41 | +17 | 66 |

| 7th | EC | Roma | | 38 | 16 | 13 | 9 | 59 | 47 | +12 | 61 |

| 8th | EV | Torino | | 38 | 15 | 14 | 9 | 52 | 41 | +11 | 59 |

| 9th | | Livorno | | 38 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 47 | 46 | +1 | 52 |

| 10th | | Lazio | | 38 | 15 | 8 | 15 | 55 | 51 | +4 | 50 |

| 11th | | Parma | | 38 | 13 | 10 | 15 | 38 | 43 | -5 | 49 |

| 12th | | Siena | | 38 | 11 | 13 | 14 | 31 | 35 | -4 | 45 |

| 13th | | Udinese | | 38 | 10 | 13 | 15 | 33 | 53 | -20 | 43 |

| 14th | | Ascoli | | 38 | 10 | 11 | 17 | 33 | 43 | -10 | 41 |

| 15th | | Catania | | 38 | 9 | 12 | 17 | 40 | 51 | -11 | 39 |

| 16th | | Empoli | | 38 | 8 | 9 | 21 | 36 | 61 | -25 | 33 |

| 17th | | Atalanta | | 38 | 6 | 13 | 19 | 22 | 41 | -19 | 31 |

| 18th | R | Messina | | 38 | 5 | 9 | 24 | 30 | 63 | -33 | 24 |

| 19th | R | Cagliari | | 38 | 4 | 6 | 28 | 26 | 76 | -50 | 18 |

| 20th | R | Reggina | | 38 | 6 | 10 | 22 | 34 | 74 | -40 | 17 |

</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| - | | Mauro Camoranesi | AM R | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 92% | 42 (1) | 7 | 7.40 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| - | Hol | Iván Córdoba | D RLC | Superb | 6-6-7-7-7 | 93% | 48 | - | 7.38 |

| - | | Eric Abidal | D LC, WB L | Superb | 7-6-8-8-8 | 98% | 16 (1) | - | 7.35 |

| - | Unh | Dejan Stankovic | AM RLC | Good | 8-6-7-7-9 | 92% | 49 | 8 | 7.35 |

| - | Hol | Adriano | ST | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 92% | 38 (1) | 30 | 7.33 |

| - | Hol | Patrick Vieira | DM | Very Good | 7-7-8-7-8 | 60% | 7 (6) | 1 | 7.31 |

| - | | Zlatan Ibrahimović | F C | Superb | 6-6-7-7-8 | 92% | 47 | 28 | 7.28 |

| - | Hol | Walter Samuel | SW, D C | Good | 7-7-9-6-7 | 35% | 34 | - | 7.26 |

| - | Hol | Ãlvaro Recoba | AM LC, F C | Okay | 6-8-7-7-7 | 100% | 47 | 15 | 7.23 |

| - | Hol | Esteban Cambiasso | DM | Superb | 7-7-7-7-8 | 93% | 50 (1) | 3 | 7.14 |

| - | Hol | Júlio César | GK | Superb | 7-7-7-7-8 | 97% | 47 (1) | - | 7.13 |

| - | | Fabio Grosso | D/WB/M L | Superb | 6-7-7-7-7 | 96% | 39 | 1 | 7.03 |

| - | Inj | Santiago Solari | AM L | Good | 7-7-7-8-6 | 63% | 12 (17)| 2 | 7.00 |

| - | Hol | Maxwell | D/WB/M L | Poor | 7-7-7-8-6 | 96% | 8 (1) | - | 7.00 |

| - | Unh | Igor Tudor | D C, DM | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 97% | 11 (7) | - | 7.00 |

| - | Wnt | Marco Materazzi | SW, D C | Superb | 8-6-6-7-6 | 100% | 21 (4) | - | 7.00 |

| - | Hol | Julio Cruz | AM/F C | Very Good | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | 10 (15)| 11 | 6.96 |

| - | Hol | Maicon | D RL, WB R | Poor | 7-7-7-6-6 | 100% | 25 (2) | - | 6.93 |

| - | Inj | Francesco Toldo | GK | Superb | 6-8-5-7-7 | 57% | 11 (1) | - | 6.92 |

| - | Hol | Javier Zanetti | D/WB R, M RC | Okay | 5-7-7-7-7 | 97% | 34 (3) | - | 6.84 |

| - | Inj | Antonio Cassano | AM RC, F C | Very Good | 8-7-6-7-7 | 67% | 6 (11) | 1 | 6.82 |

| - | Hol | Roberto De Filippis | AM RC | Good | 7-8-6-6-7 | 94% | 1 (3) | - | 6.75 |

</pre>

Armed with a two year contract extension, I felt it was time to re-make the side with come new blood. Luis Figo departed as his contract expired, which was no knock on him. He'd had a terrific season. I praised him highly in the press, saying that he was one of the best players I had ever played against, and was a joy to manage, but it was time to move on. He replied warmly and in similar terms which meant a lot to me. I pressed the club to give him a send-off, and thousands of people turned up at the San Siro car park to bid him farewell.

My first signing of the Summer was Alex from Chelsea. He'd impressed in the Champions League while on loan at PSV and since the Blues didn't want him, he would do nicely for us. 4.7M was the fee, with a 35k/week deal. I was still working away in the background, yet our second signing didn't arrive until the 22nd. It was none other than Giorgio Chiellini, whom I hadn't been able to prise away from Juve despite offering 15M during the transfer window. Bizzarely, they then started accepting bids all over the place for him for 3.4M, and I weighed in, knowing that he wanted to join us. He duly did, on a 40k/week deal, and that had to go down as an absolute steal, considering what they had previously turned down, and the fact that he was perhaps the most impressive young Italian prospect around. On the same day, Julio Cruz departed for Lazio, 3M the fee. He'd done well for us, but it was all part of the evolution process that I felt we needed.

Two days later, I read in the paper that the shareholders of the club had reaped in a 15.5M dividend, due to our financial performance. I knew it was none of my business, yet I was annoyed that this would surely affect our transfer budget. Moratti had said that money was no object. If he really wanted us to win big, he had to accept that we needed to spend in the 20M range for players, something that the current budget wouldn't really allow us to do. He called me the same day to announce that he had also set aside a "hefty" transfer kitty of 27M, which was not to be sneezed at, but was hardly Chelseamungus.

It was swollen by 1.3M when I sold Materazzi. He wanted to stay and regretted his outburst. I told him that I had decided to sell him anyway, and not to worry that our disagreement had cost him his career at the club. I emphasised that there were no hard feelings, and this was a purely footballing decision, which seemed to sweeten the pill.

Adriano was voted our player of the year, although it could have been any one of several people. The board raked in 48.5M in TV rights, none of which would swell our transfer budget, and the President also announced that they were expecting another title. I had no problem with that, though only a fool would think it would be as easy as last year.

Excellent story! Would you please tell me how the heck do you get 25+ goals outta both of these players... Ibra and Adriano? I mean the first thing they do is they get injured and the average rating of the club players is 6.98 something.

Thanks guys, user comments are the lifeblood of these stories. Without them I start to wonder if anyone is reading this inane drivel icon_smile.gif Ibrahimovic and Adriano were amazing this year. Unfortunately problems with fitness do crop up later on. In addition to which Serie A gets a lot harder in the coming season!

Our new signings, Alex and Chiellini officially arrived on the 1st, with Cruz and Materazzi officially sodding off. I was expecting to be at the centre of a lot more action. Nothing happened until the 9th, when I disposed of Maicon to Milan for 4.4M. He'd done a passable job for us, however he was hardly Bobby Moore, so I had little trepidation in selling him to our rivals. On the following day, I farmed keeper Julio Cesar out to Palermo for an identical fee, 4.4M. There were some raised eyebrows amongst the coaching staff. That didn't bother me, since I simply didn't rate him all that much. The problem arose when Adriano complained in the press. I took him aside in pre-season training (I decided to grace them with my presence for the first few weeks of this pre-season too) and gave him a very thorough bo****king, explaining in no uncertain terms that I wasn't going to tolerate that kind of s***e. He apologised in the media next day, and without me having to make a public comment on the whole thing, I had got my message across loud and clear.

The 18th was a busy day, beginning with my granting Romanian international midfielder Ianis Zicu, (a handy player who had been loaned out last season before I arrived), a month of leave for personal problems. I'm not sure what the whole thing was about, though homesickness was mentioned by one of the coaching staff. I wasn't too bothered what it was. I just wanted to kick the problem into the long grass, since something slightly more momentous was occuring.

At my instigation, Javier Zanetti was joining Chievo on a free transfer, and an era was coming to an end. I wouldn't say he was shocked, since he was the same age as me, but he was definitely shaken. I doubt he was too pleased with me deep down either. We had a long chat, and he was very professional. It was difficult though, and I had no doubt that he felt awkward being bombed out of the club by a former team-mate. I felt that too. I had been very loyal to him when he didn't play well last season, probably too loyal, and I told him that straight to his face. He was both saddened and realistic.

"Look, I could have kept you here as some sort of figurehead," I told him. "But you aren't going to play this term. And that's not what you're about, is it?"

"No you're right. I'm not at the level I was."

"Maybe just a little bit down. You can still do a job for Chievo, or someone else. And you'll always be welcome here. Especially if you want to coach when you pack it in. Give me a call then for sure."

He just nodded and I could tell it was a difficult time for him. Now he knew how I felt 8 years ago. Though on that occasion I was the author of my own misfortune. He was leaving becuase he didn't quite have it anymore.

As with Figo, we gave him a good send-off. I was relieved to close that chapter, and get on with the makeover.

Just before the end of the month, it continued with the sale of Santiago Hernan Solari to Lazio for 2.4M. Nice player that he was, Recoba had been playing a blinder, and I wanted to include Grosso on the left now and then, since he had no chance of playing left back for us anymore.

This late sale helped to inflate our monthly profit to 7.61M. The board were very pleased with everything. I'd have been vexed if they weren't.

Knowing that August was always a busy month, I escaped for a few days to the lakes with Carla. Coinciding with the fact that we'd moved in together, stories began appearing in gossip columns that we were back together again. Since we both refused to go into details about our private lives in the media, the stories went away pretty quickly, without the oxygen of any nauseating "Hello" style photo sets or seamy bedroom revelations. I was angered by some photos of us leaving my apartment in the morning, and irritated by some "entertainment" journalists who turned up once or twice at our respective places of work. I had learned to let that stuff slide, to blow up in public only made things ten times worse.

Of similar irritation to me was the contract saga involving Dejan Stankovic. It was finally resolved on the 3rd, a three year extension at 55k/week, a 1.2M signing on fee, and a host of bonuses. He and his agent had really p***ed me off throughout the negotiations, making it clear that they thought we needed him more than he needed us. The agreement was reached because I didn't want to lose him for free, but I made sure that I would take my revenge at a later date, because he wasn't half as important as the way he was prancing about.

On the 9th, our other anonymous full back, Maxwell, joined Bayern Munich for 3.8M. Not much to say about that. Two days later, I signed up Vincenzo Iaquinta, the Udinese striker for 10.8M, with a 40k/week contract, 1.2M signing on fee and the usual list of bonuses. He'd had a terrific season, interrupted by injury, was an Italian international, and was a nice fit for us.

Another Italian international followed on the 15th. I had been trailing Christian Zaccardo for a while, lost him when Moratti meddled and signed Abidal (who turned out to be a very good signing), and now was able to tie him up for 15M. 40 grand a week and a 1M signing bonus seemed to be what everyone was asking for these days, and I was happy to give it.

On the 18th, we did some contract renewal work, inking Recoba and Tudor to two year deals on the same money. The squad, and its rejuvenation, was coming together well.

Our first test came on the 25th, the "Super Cup" at home to Roma. The following side was run out: Toldo Zaccardo Abidal Cordoba Samuel Cambiasso Camoranesi Stankovic Ibrahimovic Adriano Recoba. We had a tonne of chances and pressure without scoring. Our prospects were enhanced when they had a man sent off after 51 minutes. Just after the hour, Ibrahimovic headed in a corner, and then on 77 minutes the same man made it a headed double, nodding in a cross. Due to a farcical series of injuries, both sides ended up with only 9 men. They scored on 87 minutes, however were never really in it, and I felt it was an easy win.

Digesting the press the next morning, I was surprised to hear that everyone was "jubilant" at the win, which I found slightly strange, unless the Super Cup had suddenly become more important and no-one had told me about it. Still it was a trophy and that was all that mattered. I was less pleased to hear that Adriano had sprained his ankle and would miss a month. Camoranesi had suffered a leg injury, and he would be gone for 3 weeks. I moved to shore up our attacking options.

I kind of stumbled upon Dean Ashton, who many people might think was not the sort of player that Internazionale Milan would be signing. My answer would be, "why not?". He'd been very successful for West Ham, had broken through for England, so he was now in the big leaue. He had asked for a transfer, and I was happy to meet the fee of 8.25M for a player this young and promising. I'd have given him more than 30k/week, but that was all he asked for.

With the window set to close, I felt we still needed a goalkeeper. I had been chasing Buffon for ever. Juve wouldn't budge, even after I offered close to 30M. As a fallback position, I signed another Englishman who had requested a move, Chris Kirkland. Our scouts didn't exactly rave about him, though I felt I knew a lot more about English players than they did. I secured his services for 6.75M at 25k/week until 2012, with a 750K signing on fee. That brought my spending to 47.5M for the current transfer window, and I thought it was high time I backed off. The board were very pleased, despite a loss of 25M for the month.

I decided against any pre-season friendlies. I couldn't be bothered with them, and I felt that the players would be fresher for it at the end of the season. The President wasn't pleased, only for the money aspect I thought. After all, it wasn't as if he could tell me anything about football, though that didn't stop him from trying.

So our next assignment was a Champions League game at home to Bordeaux. We were badly hampered by international call-ups. That made for an unfamiliar line-up, with Grosso and Cassano on the flanks, and Iaquinta up front. We started poorly, and they scored after 14 minutes, when our lot were badly disorganised at a free kick.

Three minutes later we hit back, Vieira drilling in a superb 30 yard curler. 7 minutes after that, a lovely passing move culminated with Stankovic slipping in Iaquinta, who put us in front with a tremendous snap low finish. We really kicked on just after the half hour, Ibrahimovic streaking through and providing a good finish. I was satisfied at half time, even though we seemed sluggish. A minute after the break they scored an own goal to finish things off. Despite a late "consolation", we had won well, however I was a little concerned about the quality of our defending, which wasn't exactly s**t hot.

It would have to be better for our opener at Roma. We fielded a strong side despite the injuries and unavailability, featuring: Kirkland Zaccardo Abidal Cordoba Samuel Vieira Camoranesi Stankovic Ibrahimovic Iaquinta Recoba. We started strongly, so I was less than impressed when we went behind after 37 minutes. I didn't go nuts at half time, but made it clear that I expected much better. It didn't come, and we looked badly disjointed. At full time I took the opportunity to lay into the players, as documented in the media by Vieira afterwards.

I felt my tantrum would have the desired effect three days later at Napoli. Instead, we were even worse. Dreadful defending allowed them to take the lead after 9 minutes, even more shocking play saw them double it after 24. As we went all out attack, another ridiculous goal was conceded and there was no way I was going into the dressing room to waste breath on that shower. Sub Dean Ashton got us back into it with a tap in after (59), but the only other scoring of the game came via an Ibrahimovic volley four minutes from time. I took no comfort from the fact that we outshot them 21-7, and was so furious that I refused to speak to them or even travel home on the same plane. This was just totally unacceptable.

The players did not see me again until the day before our home fixture against Ascoli on the 22nd. I had cooled down, yet pretended I was still livid, storming into Appiano Gentile to announce an unchanged side, then storming out again. I didn't see the point of chopping and changing. These players had got us into this, now they would have to get us out of it. The players seemed to have the message, judging by the start. Camoranesi laid on Iaquinta for an easy one after 7 minutes. I was expecting floodgates to open. They didn't. We were still well in charge, but nervy. In the 71st minute, supersub Ashton broke down the left, cut inside, and smashed in a terrific finish. Three minutes later, a great reverse ball from Stankovic set the same player in for another excellent finish. It was comfortable without being comfortable, if you know what I mean.

Iaquinta fractured his ribs during the game and would miss 2 months, which was offset with the return to training of Adriano next day.

He wasn't available for anything more than the bench for our trip to Ajax. They were all over us and scored in the 38th minute, an incredibly long shot that Kirkland should have saved. I didn't see any point in fannying around, and my all out attack approach was rewarded in the 72nd minute, when Camoranesi headed in a Stankovic cross. Adriano rose from the bench to slam in a terrific top corner drive (81), and to show us how much we had missed his world class striking. Vieira credited my team talk for the comeback. I gave credit to the players, though they didn't play very well.

Our last engagement of the month was on the 30th, at home to Torino. I dropped Zaccardo, who had made an incredibly average start to his career with us, and replaced him with Andreolli. We started like garbage, and they scored after 14 minutes. Ashton continued his stellar start in our colours, smashing in a savage right footed shot (32). I was furious at the interval yet again. Stankovic showed some fury too, in the shot that he blasted us in front with right on the hour. The lead only lasted 4 minutes, which had me boiling on the sidelines, as did a disallowed goal, for what reason I have still to ascertain. I stormed out of the ground in a huff at the end, seriously considering my position. The board seemed blissfully unaware of the dreadful start, when they reported the next day that they were pleased with everything, although they might have been referring more to the 5.2M profit they reaped in for the month.

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Milan | | 4 | 4 | 0 | 0 | 8 | 1 | +7 | 12 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Roma | | 4 | 3 | 1 | 0 | 8 | 2 | +6 | 10 |

| 3rd | | Udinese | | 4 | 3 | 1 | 0 | 7 | 3 | +4 | 10 |

| 4th | | Napoli | | 4 | 3 | 1 | 0 | 8 | 5 | +3 | 10 |

| 5th | | Lazio | | 4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 7 | 6 | +1 | 7 |

| 6th | | Empoli | | 4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 6 | 5 | +1 | 7 |

| 7th | | Chievo | | 4 | 2 | 0 | 2 | 6 | 4 | +2 | 6 |

| 8th | | Juventus | | 4 | 2 | 0 | 2 | 7 | 6 | +1 | 6 |

| 9th | | Catania | | 4 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 3 | +1 | 5 |

| 10th | | Fiorentina | | 4 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 3 | +1 | 5 |

| 11th | | Livorno | | 4 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 4 | 0 | 5 |

| 12th | | Inter | | 4 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 7 | 6 | +1 | 4 |

| 13th | | Atalanta | | 4 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 5 | 7 | -2 | 4 |

| 14th | | Ascoli | | 4 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 5 | -2 | 4 |

| 15th | | Siena | | 4 | 0 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 3 | -1 | 3 |

| 16th | | Sampdoria | | 4 | 1 | 0 | 3 | 5 | 10 | -5 | 3 |

| 17th | | Mantova | | 4 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 7 | -3 | 2 |

| 18th | | Palermo | | 4 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 6 | -5 | 2 |

| 19th | | Torino | | 4 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 3 | 9 | -6 | 2 |

| 20th | | Parma | | 4 | 0 | 1 | 3 | 0 | 4 | -4 | 1 |

</pre>

I was getting really infuriated with the players. On the 3rd, we entertained Parma, and we were certainly gracious hosts. Despite the return to full time duty of Adriano, we were still rubbish, conceding after 9 minutes. Ten minutes before half time, more out of desperation than anything else, Cordoba hammered in a 30 yard shot. A minute after another half time tantrum from me, Adriano broke through and gave us the lead with a brilliant cross shot finish.

There was grim inevitability about the poor defensive goal we conceded after 82, and I was starting to think that the players had stopped playing for me. Our league form couldn't get much worse.

Lucky then that our next run out was in Europe, against AEK Athens. I decided to put Toldo in net. Kirkland just wasn't doing it. We dominated the game and of course the goal wouldn't come. I told the players to relax. We were going to qualify from this group anyway, so a turgid draw wouldn't be terrible. Instead, Adriano nipped in with 3 minutes left to tap in our winner. It was satisfying to win, though we were still playing absolute s***e.

We would have to do way better on the 20th, visiting Fiorentina. Cambiasso and Cassano came in for the injured Vieira and Stankovic. Ibrahimovic headed in a Recoba cross to give us the lead 4 minutes in, then Adriano tipped in another cross from the Uruguayan 2 minutes later. Zaccardo made a terrible error that allowed them to pull one back after 18. Our chances were enhanced when they had a man sent off 7 minutes later. Of course it was no surprise with our form that they scored on 32, but Ibrahimovic put us back in charge 10 minutes later, slamming in a Camoranesi cross. Two minutes after the break, Cordoba headed in a corner. Then just before the hour, the Swedish striker played in his Brazilian partner for a neat finish. Alex finished the scoring on 89, unfortunately into his own net. It didn't detract from a terrific performance. I was too long in the tooth though to think that all was suddenly rosy.

Our home date with Siena was a must win, given how far we had fallen behind the leaders. Vieira and Stankovic were back on the bench. Adriano gave us the lead from the spot 2 minutes in. We dominated, but didn't get a second until 60 minutes later, Stankovic playing in Ibrahimovic. Every win was a relief right now.

I expected another one away to Mantova on the 28th. Unfortunately they had other ideas, and scored after 3 minutes. Ibrahimovic equalised from the spot 9 minutes later, then just before the half hour, Adriano burst through to score. The Brazilian added a late penalty (80), before firing in low and hard with four minutes left, to complete an unusual hat-trick. It was a comprehensive win, outshooting them 19-2, and much more like it from our lot.

When AEK Athens arrived for the midweek Champions League game, all the reserves stepped in. We dominated a dull 1st half, and I spared the tantrum. Five minutes later, Vieira gave it to Ashton, who made a great turn and shot. It was hailed as a "sublime finish" and "stunning strike" from the left corner of the box to the top corner (77). Nine minutes from time, Vieira was sent off. They scored in injury time, and despite the paucity of this home draw, we qualified for the next round. Now we could rest people with confidence, although the way the first choice guys had played this season, they probably needed the practice.

Our usual profit rolled in, this time 2.9M, and due to our financial prowess, the board raised the remaining transfer budget by 2M to 8.75M.

Thanks Sherm. You're right Serie A is harder than people think. It's a bit like Scotland. If you slip up and get behind it's a hell of a job catching up. The leaders don't lose that many. Will just go and check out your new offering. Hope you keep it up for a long time (hint hint!) icon_smile.gif

The regulars returned for our home fixture with Empoli, and we looked more comfortable from the start. Adriano headed in a 5th minute corner, the 100th league goal of his career. Alex added a penalty after 25, and we were really motoring when they got a man sent off after 36. Stankovic beautifully finished a low cross two minutes later, then a minute later, Camoranesi's cross found Adriano all alone. Recoba added a free kick shortly after the interval, for a 5-0 win that made us look like we were back to our best. I wasn't ready to get complacent just yet, however we certainly looked a lot more like our usual selves. Camoranesi had picked up an injury and would be out 2 weeks.

With the reserves in for a midweek Italian Cup game with Cesena we looked rubbishy again, labouring to a 3-1 win. The regulars were well rested for the next game in the Champions League, at Bordeaux. I took the players who weren't playing in the cup game out to France early, which had nothing to do with me sampling the wines of the region for a few days! The only problem for team selection was that we were ravaged by international call-ups. Due to the registration situation in Europe, we couldn't fill up the subs bench. Still I expected us to win. Grosso gave us the lead with a lovely free kick ten minutes in. They had a man sent off 13 minutes later for a pro foul, and it was very relaxed for us now. Grosso converted a penalty three minutes after the re-start, and that was more than we needed. If only our league form could be this productive.

With a long international break I thought we could re-group and get ready for a renewed assault on Serie A. Instead, there was a sudden and ridiculous rash of injuries. Tudor broke his leg horribly in training (so I was told since I was lolling around at home when it happened). He would be out nearly 6 months. The international games were a complete disaster. Adriano dislocated his shoulder in a meaningless game for Brazil, and would be gone for 2 months. Cordoba had a toe injury which would cost him a week. To top it all off, Zicu broke his toe and would miss two months as well. The killer was Adriano of course. At least Ashton had been a pleasant surprise, so the cover would be at least adequate.

The home game with Chievo would be far from easy, the way we were playing. Thankfully, we got a good start, Ibrahimovic heading in an Abidal free kick. The big Swede then forced in a corner in the 27th minute, and I could see us winning now. Chaos in the visitors defence following an Ibrahimovic rebound allowed Ashton to pass it into the net from 20 yards on 32 minutes. The Swede completed his hat-trick with a superb finish, latching on to a through ball right on the hour. Still the goals kept coming. Sub Iaquinta raced on to a through ball, squeezing in from a tight angle (68), and finally that was the end of the eruption. It seemed like we were suddenly taking out the frustrations of the last few months. I certainly felt a release. They weren't a bad side either, so I was well pleased.

All that remained for the month was the straightforward task of knocking Cesena out of the Italian Cup, which we did with a 1-0 win in a very dull game. I was still in good odour with the board, according to our President, who was also delighted with the usual hefty profit, this time 3.7M.

| 1st | | Roma | | 10 | 9 | 1 | 0 | 21 | 6 | +15 | 28 |

| 2nd | | Milan | | 10 | 7 | 1 | 2 | 18 | 10 | +8 | 22 |

| 3rd | | Inter | | 10 | 6 | 2 | 2 | 30 | 12 | +18 | 20 |

| 4th | | Juventus | | 11 | 5 | 3 | 3 | 20 | 14 | +6 | 18 |

| 5th | | Udinese | | 10 | 4 | 5 | 1 | 11 | 7 | +4 | 17 |

| 6th | | Sampdoria | | 10 | 5 | 2 | 3 | 14 | 14 | 0 | 17 |

| 7th | | Lazio | | 10 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 16 | 13 | +3 | 16 |

| 8th | | Empoli | | 10 | 5 | 1 | 4 | 13 | 17 | -4 | 16 |

| 9th | | Napoli | | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 14 | 13 | +1 | 15 |

| 10th | | Fiorentina | | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 14 | 12 | +2 | 15 |

| 11th | | Chievo | | 10 | 5 | 0 | 5 | 12 | 15 | -3 | 15 |

| 12th | | Torino | | 10 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 11 | 14 | -3 | 13 |

| 13th | | Parma | | 10 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 8 | 10 | -2 | 12 |

| 14th | | Palermo | | 10 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 7 | 13 | -6 | 9 |

| 15th | | Catania | | 10 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 9 | 12 | -3 | 9 |

| 16th | | Livorno | | 10 | 1 | 5 | 4 | 11 | 14 | -3 | 8 |

| 17th | | Ascoli | | 11 | 1 | 5 | 5 | 6 | 13 | -7 | 8 |

| 18th | | Siena | | 10 | 1 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 11 | -5 | 7 |

| 19th | | Atalanta | | 10 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 12 | 22 | -10 | 6 |

| 20th | | Mantova | | 10 | 0 | 3 | 7 | 8 | 19 | -11 | 3 |

</pre>

Well Serie A is challenging, but when success comes it is very rewarding icon_smile.gif My new outing was something I fancied, and I wanted to relay my adventures, but if its as good as my Newcastle and Juve stories then I'll be happy icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to cut down on the bold from now on. It makes it look smart of course, but also makes it more of a pain in the arse to do. I'll still be bolding, just a little less.

December was always a critical month in any championship race. We started it on the 2nd at home to Lazio, and Ibrahimovic gave us a fantastic start, with a 2nd minute diving header. Just a minute later, Ashton bundled in a rebound. We were looking very good indeed. For 5 minutes anyway, until they scored six minutes later, then scored again after 17. Here we go. The game was dull from there. In the 55th minute, Ashton lit it up with a remarkable 30 yard chip, and as the commentators said, he was "justifying the praise" that had come his way of late. Ten minutes later, he smashed in low for his hat-trick, bringing the comment that he was "an assassin in front of goal". On 80 minutes, Cambiasso slammed in a long range bender to cap a sensational performance going forward, and a very ordinary performance defensively. However, if we went on scoring 5 every game, I was pretty confident we'd be tough to beat.

The Champions League game three days later against Ajax saw all the reserves come in, since we'd qualified already. We dominated a dull 1st half. The same thing happened in the second, a dreadful game meandering to a bore draw. I didn't care of course.

After the game, I tied up a January signing. Tomas Sivok of Udinese would join us for a fee of 2.4M on a 30k/week contract. It looked a bargain. He'd been very effective for them in a defensive midfield role, and had impressed me and the coaching staff every time we saw him.

On the 8th came the "Derby of Italy", a home date with Juventus. It was still a huge game of course, yet they weren't the force of old these days. We were in charge from the start, Recoba giving us the lead with a free kick 4 minutes in. They dug in, and frustrated us, without much threat on their part. Recoba was at it again from a dead ball after 68 minutes, firing in a cross that was terrifically headed in by Ibrahimovic. They scored straight away of course just to keep us sweating as usual, but Alex fired back a few minutes later with a deflected shot. It was an excellent win, and we seemed to be back on course. Two days later, the physios gingerly informed me that Ibrahimovic was out for 2 months with a torn groin. I exploded of course. When was this s**t ever going to stop? Injuries and underperformance was killing us.

So we were without our two best strikers for a tough trip to Udinese. Our depleted team turned in a dull and scrappy performance. I didn't cut the lads any slack, and was really irritable at the break. It didn't improve matters. Just as I had reconciled myself with the prospect of a draw, the home side helped themselves to a completely undeserved winner two minutes from time. I went ballistic again, and was at the point of considering my position. I was just fed up with the constant torrent of injury and underperformance.

We'd have to seriously buck up for the game 4 days later, against Milan at the San Siro (we were technically the away side). We were being written off in the build-up to the game, not so much for that match, but for the title. I used it to try and wind up the players. Under the circumstances, I wasn't surprised it didn't work. However, we did manage to take a point in what was a dour defensive struggle that neither side deserved to win. I wasn't satisfied, but what could I do?

Three days later, the punishing schedule took us to Genoa, for a game with Sampdoria. It was yet another atrocious spectacle, enlivened only by the fact that we won it. Camoranesi out-jumped the keeper to head us in front after 50 minutes. Ashton added a second on the counter attack ten minutes from time. Still dire stuff compared to what we could produce. Heading into the winter break it was a godsend, as was the break itself, for a number of reasons.

There was no way I was going to take my irritability into the Christmas holiday. Carla and I had a wonderful time, though she asked when was I going to make good on my rash proposal to marry her. Of course I would marry her, I had made up my mind. It was just such a heavy load to manage this club and keep up a romance at the same time. The only way it could be done was to step back as much as possible, so it was just as well I rarely went into training, or attended any part of the job that wasn't vital. If I did, it would probably drive me completely crazy. Speaking of which, the end of the month arrived with the news that Cambiasso had torn his groin as well (what the hell was wrong with everybody's groins? Perhaps it was time I had a sex ban for the players.) We'd just have to deal with it, the same way we'd been having to deal with it all f****ng year long. I was surprised that Moratti and the board were still right behind me, although as always, they were perhaps blinded by the hefty profit of 3.79M

| 1st | | Roma | | 15 | 11 | 2 | 2 | 30 | 13 | +17 | 35 |

| 2nd | | Milan | | 15 | 10 | 2 | 3 | 23 | 13 | +10 | 32 |

| 3rd | | Udinese | | 15 | 8 | 6 | 1 | 16 | 8 | +8 | 30 |

| 4th | | Inter | | 15 | 9 | 3 | 3 | 40 | 16 | +24 | 30 |

| 5th | | Fiorentina | | 15 | 9 | 3 | 3 | 28 | 15 | +13 | 30 |

| 6th | | Chievo | | 15 | 8 | 1 | 6 | 23 | 23 | 0 | 25 |

| 7th | | Juventus | | 15 | 7 | 3 | 5 | 24 | 19 | +5 | 24 |

| 8th | | Sampdoria | | 15 | 7 | 2 | 6 | 20 | 22 | -2 | 23 |

| 9th | | Napoli | | 15 | 6 | 4 | 5 | 23 | 22 | +1 | 22 |

| 10th | | Parma | | 15 | 5 | 6 | 4 | 14 | 14 | 0 | 21 |

| 11th | | Empoli | | 15 | 6 | 3 | 6 | 17 | 23 | -6 | 21 |

| 12th | | Lazio | | 15 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 20 | 27 | -7 | 20 |

| 13th | | Palermo | | 15 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 14 | 20 | -6 | 17 |

| 14th | | Catania | | 15 | 4 | 4 | 7 | 13 | 16 | -3 | 16 |

| 15th | | Torino | | 15 | 4 | 4 | 7 | 15 | 22 | -7 | 16 |

| 16th | | Livorno | | 15 | 3 | 6 | 6 | 16 | 19 | -3 | 15 |

| 17th | | Atalanta | | 15 | 2 | 5 | 8 | 17 | 28 | -11 | 11 |

| 18th | | Siena | | 15 | 1 | 6 | 8 | 10 | 18 | -8 | 9 |

| 19th | | Ascoli | | 15 | 1 | 6 | 8 | 7 | 17 | -10 | 9 |

| 20th | | Mantova | | 15 | 0 | 4 | 11 | 10 | 25 | -15 | 4 |

</pre>

Sivok arrived on the first of the month (making it a round 50M I'd spent this season), which was just as well considering Cambiasso had gone for a Burton. He made the bench for the home game on the 6th with Atalanta. We were crap in the 1st half and I did my usual tantrum, wondering if my irritability was getting a bit old. Shortly after the break, Stankovic played in Ashton, who floated it delightfully over the keeper. Iaquinta sealed a vital, if drab win, with just a minute left, heading in a Recoba back post cross.

On the 8th I decided to sign Juve's utility midfielder Andrea Gasbaroni on a Bosman for next season. He'd been performing well for them, and looked like a really good complimentary signing, covering all the midfield positions.

Sivok's debut came along with the rest of the reserves on the 9th, in a meaningless Italian cup tie at Chievo. The team went down 1-0, a really s**t performance. I didn't care. Sivok was average, however I was confident he would be a really good signing.

We then had to play them in the league four days later, at the same venue. I broke the habit of a lifetime and asked Ashton to take an injection, such was our desperate injury situation. He not only refused (quite rightly), but was really p****d off, and the two of us had a shouting match. I told him straight that he was right to complain about the injection, but I wouldn't tolerate any lip from him. He claimed I'd threatened to thump him, and to be honest I can't remember what happened. It was a pretty heated exchange anyway. The pressure was on us all.

In the event he played injured anyway. Olivier Dacourt, whom I had bombed out 18 months earlier, scored against us. Naturally. We were desperately poor right throughout the game, badly missing all our players. I was angry, and baffled too. With it being January, I lost my patience and transfer listed Kirkland, Toldo, Samuel, Zaccardo, Vieira and Zicu. I had to do something. I also tied up the Bosman signing of Brazilian attacking midfielder Lincoln, who'd been having a great season for Gelsenkirchen. I wondered if I'd be here when he arrived.

Ridiculously, we then played Chievo again, the home leg in the cup. The reserves were in again, and Samuel did his first team chances a power of good by getting sent off for kicking someone 28 minutes in. I essentially gave up, and didn't care anyway, only for Iaquinta to thump home a Cassano cross on 70 minutes. Choutos then fired in on 75 and Iaquinta sealed the tie with a super sidestep and finish on 78. We deserved it over the two legs. I only wished we could play like this in the league.

The aforementioned Choutos had decided to join Torino for next season. I couldn't blame him, I never gave him a fair shake here. In other news, both Adriano and Ibrahimovic returned to training. The newspapers were starting to turn on me too. Stories appeared that I was "beleaguered" and "desperate". The latter was true, in that I started the half-fit strike duo for the home game against Catania. Andreolli came in for the suspended Alex, while Sivok kept out Vieira. Ibrahimovic scored an outstanding cross shot into the top corner after three minutes, and added a second on 17, slamming home an Abidal cross. We conceded a horrible defensive goal just before the half, and all I could do was try and relax the lads during the break. We saw it home without any alarms, yet it was a skittish win, and further underlined how important our top two strikers were.

On the 23rd we visited Sampdoria in the Italian Cup. I mixed reserves and regulars. Goals from our star men Ibrahimovic and Adriano gave us a 2-0 win. They got some more game time in, which was vital, and managed to come through unscathed.

A tough game at home to Napoli followed on the 26th. They got a man sent off, and Adriano drilled in a wicked free kick after 10 minutes. On 23, Ibrahimovic smashed in a great cross shot, and scored a similar goal just after the hour to kill the game off. They ended up with only 9 men after another sending off. Still, it was a good performance against a decent team. I was particularly pleased with the defensive tweaks I'd made too. Chiellini was now playing left back, with Abidal in the centre. It worked well, and looked a lot more solid.

We finished up the month with an easy progression in the Italian cup, the return leg against Samp.

The big news concerned me though. Rumours were circulating that the board were jittery about our prospects of winning the title. Failure in that department might mean the sack for me. My job seemed safe for now, but the rumours were definitely out there. I talked to Moratti about it, and he refused to guarantee my position, so it seemed there was something to these rumours. I thought the idea of me being fired was laughable, though at the same time I understood they had very high standards here. I was at peace with myself whatever happened, and felt I had done a pretty good job.

I received a phone call at the start of the month from a so-called journalist working for The Sun. He wanted my reaction to an article that had appeared in Hello magazine, an interview with Kelly Taylor, whom readers might remember was a gorgeous BBC hack that I had a long relationship with when I was manager of Nottingham Forest, and who was now a major sports journalist in the UK. I was disappointed, and thought she was classier than that.

In the article, she apparently professed that she still loved me (I wasn't aware that she did in the first place). To my relief, it didn't contain any bedroom revelations, apart from the slightly bizzare note that she used to play "Through The Fire" by Chaka Khan when we made out (I didn't recall that part either). I was just glad that she didn't mention that I used to play my Jon and Vangelis CD when I was drunk. That would have been a serious blow to my angry man image. I brushed the whole thing off, saying I had more important things to worry about, namely the visit to Ascoli on the 3rd. In the meantime, I also hid my Jon and Vangelis CD in the bottom of a suitcase, in case Carla found it and had a good laugh at my expense.

Ibrahimovic started us off after 4 minutes, a low finish after being put clean through. Just before the break, Adriano drove in a superb bending shot from the edge of the box. It was enough to give us the three points that everyne expected. Cambiasso returned to training the next day, and would be available (probably only from the bench) for the biggest game of the season coming up on the 9th, a home date with Roma.

The build up to the game was something else. Their manager, Luciano Spaletti, boasted that they would win, and also win the title. I countered (unusually for me since I don't get involved in that s**t) that we would have no trouble beating them, and they were Championship imposters anyway. The other sub plot was the continuing speculation about my future. The fans were still 100% behind me, and let me know in a very heartwarming way in the lead up to the game.

The stadium was full hours before kick off, and the big supporters groups on the Curva Nord all had banners in support of me. Brianza Alcoolica had a cartoon banner of me drinking a pint while holding the Scudetto trophy in my other hand, which was hilarious. The Ultras had a banner with a picture of Carla, and words that loosely translated as "give her one for us Madman!". These fans were amazing when they were on your side. The rendition of "Il Mato li amiamo" as I walked to the dugout was awe inspiring. I knew Moratti was watching all this, and hoped he was taking notice.

Not surprisingly, the lads were in a lather and I almost had to calm them down. In the 13th minute, Willy Sagnol was sent off for a professional foul (quite rightly). Grosso blasted in the resulting free kick, a peach into the top corner. Cue Bedlam. Seven minutes later, Grosso produced a superb cross, allowing Stankovic to double our lead with a header. After the break Adriano headed Ibrahimovic in to float in our third, and now I was determined to humiliate the visitors. Adriano then produced a lovely cross for an easy Ibrahimovic finish, then the Brazilian hit man converted a penalty 3 minutes after that.

They scored in the fag end of injury time which annoyed me. Yet 5-1 was just as humiliating as 5-0. I went after Spaletti, telling him they were mere pretenders and that the pressure was now heaped on them. I really believed that too, and the lads loved it. Moratti was full of praise, though I kept him at arms length, still irritated by his lack of backing when those stories came out.

In midweek, we faced a trip to Livorno who had just sacked their manager, and I was determined we wouldn't undo the hard work of the weekend. An Ibrahimovic hat-trick provided an easy win for us. However our star man was injured on 81 minutes and the devastating news was that he'd broken his ribs, gone for two months. At least we were now breathing down Roma's necks, though they had a game in hand.

Ashton was his replacement for the tricky trip to Torino on the weekend. Recoba, in for the injured Grosso, got us a good start with a 13th minute free kick special. We held on for the win, but they laid siege to our goal, and Kirkland won us the game with his display. Too bad the rest of the team were rubbish, otherwise we mightn't have needed those kind of heroics.

Our European adventure continued in midweek, a knockout tie against Feyenoord that I thought we should win easily. Adriano limped off after 5 minutes, and we still played absolutely atrociously. All the pressure, all the shots (miles wide), and then succumbed to a ridiculous long range shot on 59 minutes. It was infuriating, and I let the players have it, letting them know in no uncertain terms that much better would be expected at home to Fiorentina at the weekend.

Their manager mouthed off beforehand, and I invited the players to shove his words down his throat. After total control early on, Stankovic blasted one in from the corner of the box after 26 minutes. On 35, Camoranesi's near post cross was terrifically finished by Ashton. The Englishman played in Adriano late on to seal the points with a trademark finish, to complete a terrific win. I gave both barrels to their manager, Prandelli, after the game, because I was still angry about the Feyenoord game. He had nothing to say in return of course.

The month closed with a midweek trip to Parma. Chiellini's first for the club, after a bad goalkeeping error, coupled with strikes from Ashton and Adriano gave us a 3-1 win. An efficient and professional performance which pleased me.

The board were suddenly pleased with me too. Like I said though, I was p***ed off with their recent attitude, so my response to their fawning at the monthly board meeting was a series of monosyllabic grunts.

Archived