2. Bristol City 46 22 16 8 +21 82

-------------------------

3. Brighton 46 22 12 12 +25 78

4. Blackpool 46 22 9 14 +6 78

5. Scunthorpe 46 21 10 15 +17 73

6. Swansea 46 20 9 17 +10 69

</pre>

---

The end of season awards saw us pick up two gongs, James Vaughan the young player of the year while I scooped the manager of the year awards. We had four players in the League One team of the year, Neill Collins, Danny Cullip, Djamel Belmadi and James Vaughan all earning honours. It turned out to be a good night, as the team ate, drank and celebrated into the night.

We had lots of work to do to prepare for the upcoming season, players to be signed, contracts to be renewed among other things. I did manage to secure my first signing for the summer transfer window not long afterwards, Penbe Ergun securing a twelve month deal from Racing. The former Turkish international would provide some excellent cover at left back and his experience would be crucial to keeping us in the division, and with no transfer fee commanded I was more than happy to sign him.

I completed another signing 48 hours later, Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper agreeing to join the Forest ranks with a promise of first team football. Again, no transfer fee was commanded for the Englishman, and he took a severe wage cut, from £8,500 to £5,500 to join us. I was delighted to have a goalkeeper with such experience in the side, and I was sure his knowledge of the game would help us. At 32, he still has time left to play, and he sacrificed his Newcastle wage for first team football at the City Ground. I like that in a player, nd I was delighted to have signed Steve on board

Five pre-season friendlies had been arranged by Dave, and I was still searching for the right players to add to the squad. Some of the current crop of players were good enough for the Championship, but a group of them were not up to scratch, or at least in my humble opinion anyway.

Over the course of the nect two weekd I managed to complete two more signings, aswell as selling one of the squad for a sizeable profit. Alan O'Brien joined on a free transfer from Newcastle, while young Spurs goalkeeper Tommy Forecast also made the move North to join us at the City Ground. I had been desperately trying to persuade Everton to allow James Vaughan to join us on a season long loan for the season, but they wouldn't, due to his first team commitments. This was a big blow, as I needed a goalscorer who could hit twenty plus goals a season. Goals were crucial, and without them you had no chance of surviving

The transfer window came upon us quickly, and the players who had already agreed joined the club met up with the rest of the squad. I also scoured the loan list for possible targets, the one that really caught my eye was Arsenal midfielder Vassiriki Diaby. The youngster was a player I rated extremely highly, and I felt he would provide an excellent addition to the squad. I faxed a season long loan offer to Arsenal, and Diaby soon agreed a deal to come to the City Ground. I was delighted to have such a quality player among the ranks, and I felt he would add a touch of quality to the midfield

--

"Ah Mark, how are you?"

Paul had paid a visit to my house, obviously wanting me to do another "favour" for him.

"I'm fine thankyou Paul, and yourself?"

"I'm terrific. Now, down to business"

"Actually, lets not. I know what you're going to ask, and the answers no"

"Excuse me? I don't think you understand me Mark. I'm not asking, I'm telling"

"Well you need to understand Paul. I don't answer to you. I don't do anything for you. If anything, you owe me a thankyou, not the other way round. Now **** off out of my house"

"Mark. I thought you were more sensible than that. Well, I will go, but I guarantee, I will be back"

"OK. Somehow Paul, I doubt it. Now have a good life, and hopefully I'll never see you again"

Paul turned on his heel and left, and a wry grin appeared on my face. I was certain that I wouldn't have problems with Paul again, and he was out of my life for good. I picked up the phone and dialled

"Hey Jo. How are you?"

"..."

"Good. Well, I thought I'd let you know that you can move back in with me. Pauk's out of our lives for good"

"..."

"Lets just say that I had a few friends take care of the problem. So are you coming back?"

"..."

"Good girl. I'll come and get you first thing OK? I'll see you soon"

Joanne and myself are free to get on with our lives now that Paul is gone, and I allowed myself a couple of celebratory beers out of the fridge. Life was looking good at the moment, with Forest in the Championship and Joanne was moving back in with me. I was happy as I could possibly be.

Two more signings were made before our first pre-season game, with Terry Dixon joining on a season long loan from Tottenham, while Southampton's midfielder Inigo Idiakez put pen to paper on a one year deal. Despite his advancing years, I knew that he would add an experienced and wise head in the centre of the park. The transfer fee of £35,000 was a fee I was more than happy to pay for a man of Idiakez's talents. Dixon was rated very highly by the White Hart Lane management, and they were willing to allow him to gain first team experience with us at the City Ground.

The first pre-season game was upon us quickly, an away trip to one of our fellow Championship sides Stoke. We were outplayed, something which really worried me, as if we were outplayed by a mid-table side in the Championship how would we cope against the top sides. We did have chances though, Nathan Tyson and Grant Holt missing the best ones, but goals for the home side from Sam Bangoura and Vincent Pericard either side of half time were enough to secure a win, but it was the disappointing performance that I was really upset about. If we constantly play like that in the season then we would be in trouble

"So you think he's worth signing for a season?"

"I don't see why not. He has the experience, and I think he would be a decent player along with Nathan"

"I'm a bit unsure but it's your call. I just think that there might be some better options available"

"Well we still need options, I just think that if we can get him on loan he could provide some firepower upfront"

"Hmmm...well like I said Mark, you're the boss. You make the final decision"

The player in question was Middlesbrough's striker Malcolm Christie. I was adamant that he would give us some stength upfront, although Dave was convinced that better options were available. I went with my instincts, and a deal to bring the former Derby man on loan to the City Ground was struck within 24 hours, the opportunity of first team football appealing to Malcolm. I had been snubbed by another striker, Craig Lindfield opting to stay at Liverpool instead of coming to the City Ground for another season, something which really got my goat, especially since he had been given an opprtunity by me the previous season.

A home friendly against Bayern Munich was next on the list, and the chance to test ourselves aginst on of Europe's better sides was something I was looking forward to. We did play quite well, creating chances and passing and moving very well, but in the end we were beaten by a side who were better than us, and showed their undoubted class. They took the lead after 67 seconds, Pazzini firing home from the edge of the box, but we could have gone in at the break level, Christie and Tyson missing chances, while Rory Delap and Diaby had good opportunites too. The killer goal came 7 minutes into the second half, Bastian Schweinsteiger cutting in from the right before curling the ball home past the outstretched Harper.

The fact we had lost two in two didn't bother me too much, nor did the fact we had one good performance and one crap one. It was the fact we were yet to score that really left me in a foul mood, and the main reason I made an offer of £50,000 for Manchester City's Scottish striker Paul Dickov. Again, I only offered him a one year deal and a significant wage cut, but he was happy to trade in a Premiership wage for First team Championship football, and signed on the dotted line without the need for haggling. I was a little wary of the strikeforce I had, as it was a series of Premier League misfits coupled with unproves Championship players, and I was really worried about the amount of natural poachers we had in the team. James Vaughan would be badly missed this season. The midfield and defence were both strong areas, and with Steve Harper taking his place between the sticks I was confident we could keep a few clean sheets in the season and I knew we were more than good enough to stay in the Championship

I completed one more loan signing for the season, Simon Walton joining from Charlton. The youngster could play either centre back or central midfield, and I felt he would prove to be an excellent addition to the squad. With the rest of the other signings, I was confident that not only could we stay in the Championship, but we could cause a few shocks to some of the other teams

"Mark, please, come in"

I had been called to the chairmans office for the meeting regarding their ambitions for the season, and what they expected the team to achieve

"Nigel, how are you?"

"Excellent Mark, excellent. Now I'm sure you know why you're here"

"Yes, I know. So what does the board feel we can achieve then?"

"Well just survival will be more than perfect. We don't want to get too ahead of ourselves, and we can't afford to get relegated again. Just survival will be fine"

"Well I think we can not only survive but definately finish comfortably in mid-table and maybe even push for a play-off place if we can be consistent"

"We don't need to get too carried away Mark. Just keep us in the division and we'll be happy"

I was more than happy with the boards assessment, and I knew that we could not only match it, but exceed the achievments that they expected. Before the season though, there was still some pre-season games to take care of, and a trip to Carmarthen saw us finish with a 2-2 draw. Malcolm Christie grabbed both of our goals, scoring in the twenty first and fifty third minutes, while Owen and Roberts scored for the Welsh side. I didn't really mind too much that we didn't win the game, but I was pleased that the performance was better than recent games. I just hope that we can take this form into the seasons beginning.

With the remaining two friendlies both ending in 0-0 draws, against Shelbourne and Morecambe, we werent in the best form going into our opening Championship game. I wasn't too worried, but if this form continued after several games of the season I'd have to look at a few changes. The opening day was drawing closer and closer, and I was getting more prepared for the match with every passing day

Hull, our first opponents, were a side I knew nothing about. I only had scout reports of their pre-season games to go off, and they didn't tell me too much, so I was going into the game blind. Diaby and Delap started in the centre of midfield, while John Curtis replaced the injured James Perch at right back. By half time, the game was still goalless, but we had chances to seal it. Delap, Christie and Nathan Tyon all missed golden opportunities to put us ahead. It was Tyson who did eventually open the scoring, latching onto Diaby's pass and sliding home underneath the onrushing Boaz Myhill. Grant Holt replaced Christie, and it was the big man who had a major hand in the second and decisive goal, heading the ball down for Danny Cullip to ram home from 6 yards and settle the game to give us a good three points to open the season with.

---

"How are you Mark? Good win against Hull I see"

Stuart Pearce and myself had kept in touch after our impromptu meeting at the end of last season, and his sacking from Manchester City had seen him hire a box out at the City Ground. Forest meant a lot to him, and he was determined to see us back in the Premiership one day

"Cheers Stu. We played well and should have scored more but I can't complain too much"

"Tough game next up though, Birmingham away"

"I know. Still, I'm just looking to keep the boys in the division"

"Good lad. Have you had any more problems with Paul?"

"No not recently. I told him in no uncertain terms to bugger off, and I think he listened. Not heard from him in weeks"

"Right well like I said, any problems, you phone me"

"Will do Stu. Take care and I'll see you in the week"

"Sure. I'll meet you for a pint"

"Sounds good"

--

A trip to St. Andrews to face Birmingham was always going to be a tough game, but we put up a good fight and were very unlucky not to get a result out of the game. Svetoslav Todorov put the home side in front, but Grant Holt's equaliser just after half time was deserved. We were beaten by a goal of the highest standards, Mehdi Nafti's 30 yard shot flying past Harper's outstretched left hand. Tyson and Holt both had chances to equalise, Holt hitting the post and Tyson missing a sitter, but the goal proved elusive and Bruce's side held on for the win. I was pleased with how the lads had handled themselves against a former Premiership outfit and last season's play-off finalists, and they got nothing but encouragement from me in the press.

Damien77 - thanks for the continued support, knowing people are still reading keeps me motivated to write

----------------------

Leeds provided the next opposition, as they made the trip to Nottingham. It was an entertaining game, both sides creating chances. We had to wait until the final ten minutes to see goals though, Diaby after 82 minutes and then Tyson heading home with two minutes left. It was another good performance against another former Premiership team from the boys. The only negative point of the game was Djamel Belmadi picking up a groin strain that would keep him out for around two weeks.

Dave came to me 24 hours later, he had recieved news that West Brom striker Kevin Phillips had become disillisioned with life at the Hawthorns, and he recommended I make a bid. I duly did, and Phillips quickly agreed a £4,000 move to further strengthen the strikeforce I had. Phillips went straight into the squad for our next game, as we travelled down to Home Park to play Plymouth, in what could potentially be another difficult game. On loan striker Carlos Vela gave the home side the lead in the 6th minute, but Nathan Tyson's 65th minute equaliser was good enough to earn the team a point.

I knew that this seasons league campain would be totally different from the League One season, as no game in the Championship could be taken lightly, whether away from home or in front of your own fans. Our home from would be crucial, and if we had a good home record then that would be excellent, but I was 100% confident that we were more than good enough to stay in this division, and maybe spring a surprise or two. Building for the future was also a major part of my policy, as I knew that we needed to be like a Premiership side before we got there.

"Joanne? Are you in?"

I'd walked into the house to see it looking like a bomb site, the second time I had been burgled in the space of twelve months. Nobody was in, so I picked up the phone and dialled

"Jo. Where are you? Have you been home?"

"..."

"No, we've been burgled again. I'm gonna have a look round now, see if anything has been taken"

"..."

"Alright, well you stay there and I'll come and get you later"

I had a fair idea of who might have been responsible for the break in, and the similarities to the first time were all there. Nothing had been stolen, nothing taken, and it seemed like it was just a fright tactic. I decided against doing anything this time round, and just left it as it was. I had other things on my mind at that particular moment, with a League Cup game to focus on

Doncaster visited the City Ground for our first round League Cup game, and come the ninetieth minute we had progressed into the next round. All three goals came within the last quarter of an hour, Grant Holt giving us a lead, before Idiakez's free kick secured it in the last minute, although Heffernan had looked like he would take the game to extra time after his 84th minute equaliser.

The final game of the month saw Norwich make the trip to Nottingham, and in a game we should have won we came away with a 0-0 draw. How we didn't win was down to the fact that Norwich's 'keeper kept everything that we threw at him out. Tyson, Holt, Christie, Clingan and Diaby all missed top notch chances, and the visitors were extremely lucky to come away with a point from the match, but I couldn't complain at the performance too much, if we play like that for the rest of the season then we have no problem staying up

August 2007 Summary

(Championship unless stated)

Nottingham Forest 2-0 Hull

Tyson (66) Cullip (78)

Birmingham 2-1 Nottingham Forest

Gr. Holt (44) : Todorov (17) Nafti (65)

Nottingham Forest 2-0 Leeds

Diaby (82) Tyson (88)

Plymouth 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Vela (6) : Tyson (65)

Nottingham Forest 2-1 Doncaster (League Cup 1st Round)

Gr. Holt (75) Idiakez (89) : Heffernan (84)

Nottingham Forest 0-0 Norwich

Thanks to his superb performances, Diaby picked up the player of the month award, and the smile on his face when he collected the award vindicated my decision to sign the French midfielder for the season. I had also sent the scouts on the lookout for players who could possibly strengthen the squad even further, as there was no harm in having three players for each position. To me, a big squad is a healthy squad, and gives lots of options when injuries and suspensions take their toll during the season.

"Mark, have you got 5 minutes? Ian wants to see you"

"Sure. Send him in"

Ian McParland walked in, files in hand and a toothy grin on his face

"Ian, how are you? Please, sit down"

"Thankyou. I'm fine cheers, yourself?"

"Terrific. So, what have you got for me?"

"Oh yeah. Take a look at this..."

as he threw a file in front of me

"...file for a young Swedish kid, plays for Djurgarden"

"OK. You seen him play?"

"Only on video. He looks good Mark. Strong, quick, and for a full back he's pretty good at covering ground too"

"Full back? Left or right?"

"Prefers the right but I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing on the left. I think he's worth a punt, I mean he is young and still got plenty to learn"

"Sounds good. What's his name?"

"Dennis Boskailo. I enquired with the club and he won't sign a new contract, so they're only asking for a hundred grand. It's definately worth it boss"

"Hmm. Alright Ian, leave it with me. I'll get a bid to them a.s.a.p. And good work"

"Cheers boss. See you soon"

Having watched the tapes, I agreed with Ian's assessment of the player. He was strong and quick, and I felt he would provide an excellent addition to the squad. I quickly faxed an offer to Djurgarden for his services, and as the transfer window had passed I wouldn't get him till January, but I could live with that as we had more than enough cover till then.

--

An away trip to Coventry opened up September, and once again we only picked up a point when we should have easily gained all three. Terry Dixon gave us a thirteeth minute lead, but Jon Stead's equaliser right on half time was enough to give his side a point. Nathan Tyson picked up a knock, but his replacement Kevin Phillips could not find the back of the net at all. Clingan, Beaumont and Holt all had their chances too, but nothing cam of it and we picked up a point, which in hindsight I wouldn't have sniffed my nose up at.

With the Charlton game re-arranged for later in the month, it meant we had two weeks to wait before our next game, away at Barnsley. Diaby opened up the scoring on 7 minutes, but I feared the worst when former Preston man Simon Whaley scored on the half hour. I had nothing to worry about, Grant Holt grabbing the winner with a sublime chip from the edge of the area to give us another win and keep our good start to the season going

Boskailo visited Nottingham just 24 hours after the League match with Barnsley, and he and his agent had a look round the ground and the training facilities. When it finally got to discussing terms, I was delighted when it turned into a nice, easy process and the Swedish under-21 international signed within half an hour

"I know that you have what it takes to be successful here Dennis. You're a quality player and I believe you will be a star"

"It's every players dream to play in the Premiership. Do you think we'll be there soon?"

"Absolutely. Especially when we are adding top drawer players such as yourself. I know we can be a force to be reckoned with"

"Well I love the country, the ground is better than anything I've ever played in, and the training facilities are awesome. What would the contract be?"

"Three years, £1,100 a week, with a £25,000 signing on fee"

"That's a lot more than I earn in Sweden. Mark, you have yourself a new player"

"Excellent. If you just sign here, then it will be confirmed. You won't be eligible to play till the window opens in January but you'll be match fit if you keep playing in Sweden"

---

With Boskailo having agreed to join up with the side in January, I was in a buoyant mood going into our League Cup game. The draw had pitted us against Premiership opposition, in the shape of Reading, and I was delighted because I wanted the lads to test themselves against higher opposition. Come the final whistle, we hadn't had a test, the Premiership side had taken us apart, running through the defence like a hot knife through butter, as we succumbed to a devastating 4-0 defeat. All four goals came from Dave Kitson, and we were three behind after less than twenty minutes. His 4th, twelve minutes from the end, saw the signal for thousands of fans to get up and out of their seats and leave the ground, a sight I was not happy about. The lads were disappointed, but I consoled them in the dressing room. It just proved to me that we were not yet ready for the top flight

Another defeat followed a few days later, as our trip down to London to face QPR saw us neaten 3-1. Malcolm Christie cancelled out Michael Parkhurst's opener, and it looked like we might take control of the game, but goals from Barnard, right on half time, and Jamie O'Hara just after the hour mark sent us tumbling to a defeat, but our second half performance was just not good enough, as we lay down and let the Londoners roll all over us. We can't afford to do that against anybody in the division

"Are you busy tonight?"

Jo had walked into the room in just a towel, a habit she had when she wanted something. She tended to get her own way too

"Well that depends. Are you taking that towel off?"

"I might. Fancy a Chinese?"

"Yeah don't see why not. We'll go pub after if you like?"

"Sure. Just give me an hour to get ready then we'll go OK?"

"Sounds good"

--

It was a good night, the restaurant Jo picked was terrific. We carried onto the pub, and although Jo left early I stayed on for a little while longer, chatting with the locals, who for their part weren't all that bothered whether I was Nottingham Forest manager or not. I left the pub around midnight, walking home by myself, although it was only 15 minutes away. As I turned the corner I felt a sharp blow on the back of my head. I turned round to face whoever was behind me but felt another blow to my face. Everything around me went blurry, before one last blow caught me on the back of my head and felled me to the floor

I woke up the next morning to find Joanne by my bedside, nursing me, a sight which I could easily get used to

"Morning. How you feeling?"

"Bit of a headache but never mind. What happened?"

"You got jumped from behind on the way home from the pub"

"Did I? Probably some kids"

"Well they didn't take anything"

"OK. Well I've got a game to go to. I'll see you later ok?"

"Are you sure? I don't know if you're fit enough"

"I'm fine, honest. I'll see you later"

--

Charlton were the visitors to the City Ground for our next game, and we did pick up a point that to be fair, we were fortunate to. Despite Rory Delap putting us ahead after 21 minutes, Charlton had the better of the match, with both Bent's missing good chances, but it was Marcus Bent that equalised, heading home after 76 minutes. They could, and maybe should have won the match, but it certainly was a point we didn't deserve.

Another relegated side were our opponents three days later, as Fulham made their appearance at the City Ground. It was a game in which we ran riot, and everything we touched turned to goals. We had hit 5 by the half time whistle, braces from O'Brien and Idiakex with Grant Holt sandwiching a goal in the middle, but we only managed one more in the second half, Terry Dixon's last minute goal cancelling out Runstrom's 65th minute strike. The team were fabulous, and it was without a shadow of a doubt the best performance under my management so far, as we ran out 6-1 winners

September 2007 Summary

(Championship unless stated)

Coventry 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Stead (45) : Dixon (13)

Barnsley 1-2 Nottingham Forest

Whaley (30) : Diaby (7) Gr. Holt (62)

Nottingham Forest 0-4 Reading (League Cup 2nd Round)

Kitson (pen. 2,17,18,pen. 78)

QPR 3-1 Nottingham Forest

Parkhurst (21) Barnard (45) O'Hara (61) : Christie (27)

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Charlton

Delap (21) : M. Bent (76)

Nottingham Forest 6-1 Fulham

O'Brien (18,25) Gr. Holt (28) Idiakez (39,43) Dixon (90) : Runstrom (65)

Archived