A little tactical help please

I have been following Cleons Sheff United project and have a few tactical questions.

My defence is Naughton Killgallon Morgan Geary

Now I used the standard 4-5-1 attack and see that the defensive line is 17 Push up. Now my centre back aren't the quickest , I think they are bot around the 12 for acceleration and 11 for pace.

1 - I played Cardiff at home and the report read something like - They like to get the ball to the stikers quickly, but they shouldn't pose any problems. As a result of this I just left the tatics and wanted to see how it went.

After a few clips I started seeing long balls/through balls that kept getting behind my backfour and their strikers running one on one.

1/ I saw once in this game and a few others a ball through, the striker turns my DC or is just in front of him, them rather thn chase back when he had a great chance to get the ball, he just stopped or run the wrong way.......WHY

2 - Anyway I looked at the FC running though all the time and destroying my defence and it was Eddie Johnson acceleration 18 pace 17. So I grabbed the Dline slider and pulled it to one below normal. This did solve the problem and in the end it wa 2-2 until last minute when Mcphail hit a freaky freekick.

1 - so was pulling the Dline back a mistake?

2 - How far is the furthest you ever pull the Dline back

3 - Should I have moved another slider along with the Dline, e.g. the Mentality slider dropped by 2 or 3 notches?

4 - Before the game, seeing they had a pacey striker and liked to get the ball quickly to him should I have closed down all the midfield down and hard tackled them.

Archived