Winning the Champions League with a Non League Team

Just to let everyone know after my own stupidity I am back in the EPL.

The saved game I had was at the end of the season 3 when I was in League one. I finished 5th and went up via the play offs. Next season I finished 6th and went up via the play off off beating leicester and Man City.

Now I am in the EPL and I have been given a whopping £400K to spend. But I have been able to get Gary Neveile on a free icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PJ Bluenose 4 Ever:

I am now Droylsden I am currently working on a wage of £1.2k a week with Mark Delaney (former v***a man) Gary Kelly (with over 400 caps for Leeds) and some other free agents wish me luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck PJ and let us know how you get on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lowlife70:

I've said it before but I'll say it again because I'm a miserable git: Being able to win the Champions League or even get to the Premiership with a current non-league club is an insult to the concept (myth??) of realism in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how is it unrealistic look at the likes of man city reading fulham all i have been in league 2 and are now stable PL teams, and you watch peterborough, i guarentee in a few years they will be in EPL

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lowlife70:

I've said it before but I'll say it again because I'm a miserable git: Being able to win the Champions League or even get to the Premiership with a current non-league club is an insult to the concept (myth??) of realism in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err irl MK Dons were a non-league club not that long ago and before the debacle that left them far from Wimbledon they were on the verge of a European spot.

Similarly Brighton have in the last 10 years been on the verge of relegation to the Conference (saved on the literal last day of the season) and also proudly playing in the Championship - if you want an exciting life as a supporter then pick Brighton as your team we're rarely in the same division two seasons on the trot icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PJ Bluenose 4 Ever:

I have had a change of team I am now Torquay United which includes in the season the big ding dong berby against Exeter City I love it !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about Porto winning the Champions League?

What about Sven winning the Cup Winners Cup with the a Swedish Team?

What about Liverpool the worlds best team in the 70's not winning the league for 17 years?

What about Wimbledon coming up to the Premiership from non league and winning the FA Cup?

What about Tottenham thinking they will get Champsions League this year?

As Jimmy Greaves used to say to Ian Saint John "It's a funny old game"

Heartbreak Hotel icon_frown.gif

Gary Neville turned out to be a superstar, he is old and has retired now icon13.gif Every game he played he was either man of the match or the 2nd highest rated Crawley player.

The season was a strange season I had no problem beating or drawing with most teams in the EPL. But against the top 4 Chelsea, Man U , Arsenal and Liverpool I was given a footballing lesson.

I played Chelsea 3 times as I also got drawn against them in the League Cup and the score over the 3 games was 18-0 two of the games were at home. icon_eek.gif

Just before the transfer window opened in Jan I noticed there were lots of young players with expiring contracts. After spending a considerable time I was able to get 8 first team players. These guy would walk straight in to my squad. I also had to let some of my older guys go on free transfers as I was just not playing them and they were taking up squad space.

One trick he is to make sure you are looking at all the players who contract is ending as I have been able to sign several who did not show up when I selected only show me players who are interested in joining Crawely.

With two games to go and sitting in 5th place and dreaming of the UEFA Cup next season. But I lost my last two games and ended up finishing 8th on goal difference. icon_mad.gif

This next season should be very interesting due to the high quality of players I was able to get on free which was a real blessing as I was only given 800K to spend on players icon_confused.gif

I have noticed lots of players aged around 23 with great stats but no history are these regen players?

PJ you seem to be changing your team a lot. icon_confused.gif

As you know I took Crawley up as champions and they start with -10 points and I guess an OK squad.

What tactic are you using??

I am using Jambo Daves tactic and I am sure you could pick any team in the Conference and go up.

The real challenge happens when you are in the Championship or the EPL and the teams around you are spending money you can only dream about on transfers. I am in my 2nd season in the EPL and I was give 800K to spend. When team in the Championship are spending 2 Million on players.

Although I did get an offer of 7.5 Million for a defender who i picked up for 3 7 months before icon_cool.gif

I am not using any cheat at all.

All I am doing is using Jambos Tactic.

I also did not sell anyone the first season as you need all the players you can get.

If you go back and read the first page their are lots of good young players you can get on loan.

Torre from Portsmouth is the best one person was even able to sign him for free the next season.

He is easily worth 5 Million pounds in about season four. When you sign anyone always try to remove their Big Club Release clause.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hillbily:

what tactic did you use through out the 29 years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the late reply mate. I used a 3-5-2 early on and the switched to a 4-4-2 diamond for the rest. If you're still interested reply again and I'll have a look on my save game to see exactly what settings I used.

7th Heaven

So in my 6th season I have finished 7th one place higher than last season. I think the problem with my team is that it is very young. The average age has to be around 24. Pretty much the same as last season I missed out on Europe again. But it will take time to build a squad that is capable of beating the top 4 so I am not worried.

A certain D Beckham has taken over as Manchester City manager. icon_razz.gif

I only have 5 players coming in this season as I try to increase the age of my team. Although I am playing Jambo's tactic I am finding it very difficult to score goals. icon_frown.gif

So close yet so far.

As I thought my squad was too young last season. So only 5 new players came in. As I was only given 2.7M for new players thats not enough to buy one first team player after all the gems I picked up two seasons ago on free transfer.

As season that started so well ultimately resulted in Crawley completing another season with out a trophy but lots of progress was made.

I do find it strange that I have not been offered any jobs at other clubs.

Anyway here is what I achieved this season.

Euro Cup Semi Final (lost on away goals)

EPL 4th

FA Cup Quarter Final

League Cup Quarter Final

There was a very poor selection of free transfers this season. So I am hoping I an rewarded for my 4th place with lots of transfer budget.

Archived