Switching from 5-3-2 to 4-3-3

I haven't played that much this year, basically just some test saves with Juventus trying to understand "what's new".

I had big success last year playing a relatively simple, possession based 433 (see screenshot). Basically, given the crazy fixtures in the first season (winter World Cup and so on) I created something that gave me goals, decent defending and possession whilst limiting injuries, which were for me the biggest problem with high tempo, high pressing tactics.

This year, with fairly similar tactics and a team that hasn't changed much since last season, my results and performance are erratic to say the least, ranging from "big win against a scudetto contender" to "4-0 loss against a relegation candidate". And the usual FM match where I miss every chance and the opponents score two from three shots on target.

Out of desperation, I started a new save with a 532 (the formation Juventus use IRL - see screenshot) and boom! 56 points in 20 games! My finishing is razor sharp, my defending is solid, everything runs like clockwork.

Now the January transfert window comes, I'm receiving a lot of offers and since the scudetto race is as good as over and the money is good I'm thinking of accepting these offers, offloading a couple more players in the summer window and giving the 433 another try, having hundreds of millions in the bank.

Question is: what should I look for? For instance:

1. Can that 433 be replicated or is there something fundamentally wrong with it? (Consider that some vanilla roles have extra instructions that I can explain if you want)
2. Since the 325 is big now, and I kind of like the idea, and the game seems to like 3-at-the-back formations, should I look for an inverted fullback coupled with an attacking fullback (WB/CWB) or a couple of attacking fullbacks (WB/CWB) + halfback instead?
3. For the midfield pairing I followed a guide in this forum, but now I feel the lone striker is too isolated and the midfielders go on their usual shooting spree as if the concept of "assist" never entered their minds, so maybe a midfielder on attack would be better? Or is it just my inside forwards / inverted wingers that have no idea of what they're doing?

Screenshot 2024-05-09 124526.png

Screenshot 2024-05-09 124957.png

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sirgiorgio said:

And the usual FM match where I miss every chance and the opponents score two from three shots on target

The game is not playing against you. There is no anti player bias in FM games.

I would suggest your geriatric back 4 is not too difficult to counter attack against and get in behind of (counter attack styles will frequently be "outperformed" in XG and win the game based on their style). Those deficiencies are covered for in a back 3 (back 5) and less exposed on a midblock. 

The 4-3-3 you'e setup has very little in terms of players providing natural width too, which will contribute to that "miss every chance we have" feeling. You are one of the biggest sides in Italy and most sides will shut up shop against you. If they do so, it's on you to break them down or you will have a lot of rushed shots like you're experiencing. 

If the 3-5-2 formation is working well for you, I wouldn't fix what isn't broken in January. Clubs tend to have more cash to spend in the summer (buying players in January is equally difficult) and you will need time to blood in your new system and style of play.

• Personally I would look to make tactical/personnel changes to progress your functional 3-5-2 and take it to the next level. BBM+MEZ(s) might be a more dynamic (and creative combo) for your two 8's. Whenever I play a 3 at the back system like this I want the two outside defenders to be able to progress the ball forward through dribbling or passing (BPD + Dribble more is great combo for this). You could look to find a top tier DM to play as a regista as he's well protected in your current system and offers a progressive passing range from deep. Adding pace to your backline will be key as well. Wingbacks tend to be what makes or breaks a 3 at the back system (esp. if you're running double CWB) so bringing in athletic + technical players in those areas would be a must.
  • Only big issue w/the current system is that Vlahovic is a fairly poor DLF(s). He can offer strong hold up play but lacks a technical passing range. He's a great solo striker in a system that plays higher up the pitch so you might look to morph to a 3-4-2-1 where you could both control the game and play to your key strikers strengths. 
Edited by Cloud9