Is my preposed revamp of the stars system workable/worthwhile?

I think new players use these more or you use them when you go to a new club but could a subtle revamp be workable? I have based it on what I would find helpful.

Current Ability - as football becomes more stats based the CA should be based on the stats garnered from playing time. Each position and role/mentality comes key attributes for this position. For example a winger has crossing, dribbling, flair etc. We can use the stats from the games to to see how they are currently doing against their potential ability.

Potential Ability - This is garnered exclusively from their attributes. This allows you to see how a player is currently performing against his attributes. From this you could see a potential 4 star winger is only performing at 2.5 stars and that will allow you look at what it is that is dragging it down. 

We can keep it division based. But we should move it from a certain persons opinion and make it more based on the stats. On a new season basis you would carry over the previous season score. I am not too sure how long the current ability would be measured over.

Finally this would impress on people how training players to improve attributes is worthwhile.  What I want to see is an end to someone player CM-D and getting 4 stars but if you move him back to DM-D he can go down to 2.5 stars despite playing the exact same rule. You can also see how young players develop by their stars reacting to their development rather than your Ass Mans opinion. We need to see how well a player can do from moving to CM to ML quickly. The stars system does not allow you to decide on this and neither does the roles suitability traffic light system.

I want the system to be useful rather than something most experienced players ignore. It should be an easy way to see how players are playing without have to dig through spreadsheets.