Monetising Football Manager Stories

Jon1982

Evening all,

It is something that I have wondered about for a while and I was hoping that some of you wise sages on this forum may be able to shed some light on? As some of you may/may not know, these forums are not the only place you can read my stories, The Ultimate World FM Game and the Ultimate English Pyramid Game. I have a blog on Google blogger which I then post links from onto Reddit, Facebook, The FM Scout and FM Base Forums, plus a full version for you guys here on the SI Forums, because I have had the most support and encouragement on here (thankyou) and it is very quick and easy to copy and paste the text from the blog version onto here because of the no pictures or screenshots rule. 

The main point of this post is that if I was to switch on Google Adsense on the blogger version of the Cambodian story for example, which has had over 12,000 views from right around the world from when I started the story in February 2021 and is now complete. Can I start to earn passive income from readers clicking on the adverts through Google Adsense? My thoughts are there would be some obvious copyright issues because I am using the Football Manger Games and screenshots from the game which will be the intellectual property of Sports Interactive and Sega etc, but then on the other hand, the stories are promoting the game and may encourage people to buy the game, or start playing again after some time out, Furthermore writing the stories to the standard I have managed to get them to requires time, patience and creativty, as well as football knowledge. I love the game of FM and have played it since the famous 2001/02 version and want to work with SI, not against them. Is it something I should steer clear of, or something that can be done? Has this ever been done before? I'm interested to see what you all think about this?

Thanks 

Jon1982

Edited by Jon1982

Evening,

Because of the very points you've raised regarding copyright etc, I'd suggest it's something you should ask someone who would be able to give you a definitive answer, such as Neil Brock, rather than the community as a whole.

It is worth pointing out that on the most famous of the video sharing sites, there are many people who video blog careers on Football Manager and rack up large numbers of views, with their videos including promotion and ads. It's worth asking if permission is required etc to cover your own back in the event that it is needed and you don't find yourself with a cease and desist or worse.

3 minutes ago, neilhoskins77 said:

Evening,

Because of the very points you've raised regarding copyright etc, I'd suggest it's something you should ask someone who would be able to give you a definitive answer, such as Neil Brock, rather than the community as a whole.

It is worth pointing out that on the most famous of the video sharing sites, there are many people who video blog careers on Football Manager and rack up large numbers of views, with their videos including promotion and ads. It's worth asking if permission is required etc to cover your own back in the event that it is needed and you don't find yourself with a cease and desist or worse.

Thanks Neil. this is want to find out before I do anything. At the moment there are no adverts or anything yet and want to find out what the legal implications are before I add any adverts or anything. How would I contact Neil Brock, is he on these forums?

1 minute ago, Jon1982 said:

Thanks Neil. this is want to find out before I do anything. At the moment there are no adverts or anything yet and want to find out what the legal implications are before I add any adverts or anything. How would I contact Neil Brock, is he on these forums?

He is, and you should be able to just drop him a DM. I'll lock this up now Jon, it's not something that needs further posting etc, or a thread without a story or such like.