Passing & Temp

Hi all,

I may have seen a thread on this, but can't find it (and I think it got closed anyway), but I am trying to get a better idea of what the passing range and tempo settings actually do, because I think it's not obvious or intuitive from the description, and I am starting to wonder if they maybe two of the most important setting in the tactics screen.

Tempo would imply something to do with speed and energy, but what I think is actually the case is it's more about 'aggressiveness', so a high tempo setting really means a more attacking approach (ie. an attacking vs defensive mentality).

Passing similarly doesn't actually seem to me short passes versus long balls. Pass it shorter seems to actually play out as the team making more conservative passes and keeping possession, whilst more direct seems to mean going for more progressive passes, not necessarily long ones.

Does this match other people experiences? Is it essentially the old mentality setting hidden with two innocuous sliders? 

36 dakika önce, AndrikoDS said:

Hi all,

I may have seen a thread on this, but can't find it (and I think it got closed anyway), but I am trying to get a better idea of what the passing range and tempo settings actually do, because I think it's not obvious or intuitive from the description, and I am starting to wonder if they maybe two of the most important setting in the tactics screen.

Tempo would imply something to do with speed and energy, but what I think is actually the case is it's more about 'aggressiveness', so a high tempo setting really means a more attacking approach (ie. an attacking vs defensive mentality).

Passing similarly doesn't actually seem to me short passes versus long balls. Pass it shorter seems to actually play out as the team making more conservative passes and keeping possession, whilst more direct seems to mean going for more progressive passes, not necessarily long ones.

Does this match other people experiences? Is it essentially the old mentality setting hidden with two innocuous sliders? 

Lower tempo- slowing things. Taking time. Thinking more. Lower pulse, lower rush decisions. Going opposition’s goal with a slow way. 

Higher tempo- opposite all of above. Speed up things. Not taking as much as time and thinking as much as lower tempo. Higher tempo, higher rush decisions. Going opposition’s goal with a quick way. 

So with a more direct passing and more higher tempo, your players could bypass the midfielders more than a lower tempo and shorter passing. And this situation could be repeated much more with higher tempo/ direct passing than shorter passing/ lower tempo. 

I generally choose my tempo setting according to the play style in my mind. If I would like to benefit my deeper players, I go with slower. And vica verse. Its not the rule btw, its just the way I like.

Edited by ibrahim.akbyk