Make English U23/U18 leagues playable

Rick87

Hello all, 

I've always liked careers that start and progress in a realistic manner, ie not being a Sunday league experience manager in the Premiership. I was wondering if it is possible to make the U23 and U18 leagues and cups and continental competitions playable so you could start out as a youth team manager and go on to bigger and better things, either with the club your at now (promotion from youth team manager to senior side) or going elsewhere. 

I know you can manage B teams in Spain and a few other countries, but I'm not sure how to go about it in England. 

Probably. But the only way I could think of that would do it is to add them to the football league pyramid. You could add them alongside the Championship/League One etc. under a parent competition so that both run and ensure promotions/relegations are separate to avoid the youth teams getting promoted into the main leagues or vice versa. But it would be a tonne of work and there would probably still be issues if the main team got relegated to the same tier as the youth teams. Probably wouldn't be able to have 2 youth teams for 1 club at the same tier either so that you'd have more potential relegation clashes there. It would most likely be incompatible with the UEFA Youth League too, so you still wouldn't be able to play the youth continental competitions.

On 29/12/2023 at 17:23, Rick87 said:

Hello all, 

I've always liked careers that start and progress in a realistic manner, ie not being a Sunday league experience manager in the Premiership. I was wondering if it is possible to make the U23 and U18 leagues and cups and continental competitions playable so you could start out as a youth team manager and go on to bigger and better things, either with the club your at now (promotion from youth team manager to senior side) or going elsewhere. 

I know you can manage B teams in Spain and a few other countries, but I'm not sure how to go about it in England. 

We've all been asking for years to add playable youth teams...

On 30/12/2023 at 08:21, rusty217 said:

Probably. But the only way I could think of that would do it is to add them to the football league pyramid. You could add them alongside the Championship/League One etc. under a parent competition so that both run and ensure promotions/relegations are separate to avoid the youth teams getting promoted into the main leagues or vice versa. But it would be a tonne of work and there would probably still be issues if the main team got relegated to the same tier as the youth teams. Probably wouldn't be able to have 2 youth teams for 1 club at the same tier either so that you'd have more potential relegation clashes there. It would most likely be incompatible with the UEFA Youth League too, so you still wouldn't be able to play the youth continental competitions.

What you mean by parent competition? I did a database once in Italy, where there was only Serie A to Serie D teams, then the U20 Youth Leagues without the possibility to be promoted in Serie D.

The problem with making such a database is that you have to recreate all the youth teams one by one (you just need to see the type of affiliation between Barcelona and Barcelona B to understand how to do it)

1 hour ago, RazorITA said:

What you mean by parent competition? I did a database once in Italy, where there was only Serie A to Serie D teams, then the U20 Youth Leagues without the possibility to be promoted in Serie D.

The problem with making such a database is that you have to recreate all the youth teams one by one (you just need to see the type of affiliation between Barcelona and Barcelona B to understand how to do it)

Like Italian Serie C. It's a parent competition to Serie C North, Serie C Centre and Serie C South.

So you could do it like that. Add a parent competition called English Tier 2 or something, that has the child competitions English Championship, English U23 Premier Division and English U18 League. It'd look ugly, but that's the only way I can think to get playable youth teams in youth leagues.

Edited by rusty217

On 06/01/2024 at 11:53, rusty217 said:

Like Italian Serie C. It's a parent competition to Serie C North, Serie C Centre and Serie C South.

So you could do it like that. Add a parent competition called English Tier 2 or something, that has the child competitions English Championship, English U23 Premier Division and English U18 League. It'd look ugly, but that's the only way I can think to get playable youth teams in youth leagues.

That's a cool idea! But how do you get teams promoted correctly in the corresponding series? Do you use the regional series trick?

2 hours ago, RazorITA said:

That's a cool idea! But how do you get teams promoted correctly in the corresponding series? Do you use the regional series trick?

You can choose which division promotes/relegates to which other division. So you can set Championship teams to relegated to League One and U23 div. 1 teams to relegate to U23 div.2 etc. There's also an option to turn off re-allocating teams in regional divisions every year in the parent competition.

Edited by rusty217