Save my laptop from getting thrown out the window

image.thumb.png.a369cc55f98af17b3648ade005d8c167.pngZrzutekranu2023-12-17o02_01_36.thumb.png.d6a6336f87f1e67aaf58c807ca757dc0.png

First screen shot is my tactic, second is what I expect them to do.

The only player instruction I use is for left winger to cut inside. 

I don't want to wait for the ball to be given to us - so we press a little higher. But not too high because my CBs are not the fastest as most of them are in their 30s already. Solid but not too pacey.

I wasn't sure what roles to use in the midfield - since I don't want mindless attacking and I love the idea of forming triangles in order to offer passing options I decided to go with a:

1) roaming playmaker - I've not used that role before in any of the FMs but I expect him to just constantly roam around the field, moving between the lines and always be ready to receive the ball and carry it forward.

2) couldn't decide between B2B and CM(s) because for one I love B2B for how hardworking they are and how much they provide with the defense. The downside is that except for DLP(d) we don't have anyone playing it safe and holding things together in the middle of the field.

3) not sure whether to use DLP(d) or DM(d) because I really like DM(d) to recycle position but I can't help the feeling that DLP(d) works like a ball magnet and if I don't use DLP(d) the players just go crazy and pass the ball into nowhere. We've lost so many goals from weird counter attacks because my CB decided to randomly make a short pass right into the feet of the opposite forward.

Honestly one of my biggest problems is forward role. Scamacca is an elite striker but I can't get anything out of him. Bought Belotti but he couldn't make any difference either.

I like PF(a) because generally I like hardworking players. If you put them on (attack) they kinda work like Advanced Forwards. Kinda. On the other hand AFs are too forward focused for me. DLF(s) and DLF(a) seem to track back too much and I already have a RMP and B2B that bomb forward anyway. Also, we don't play quick football so I assume there will be time for midfield to come higher up along with the play therefore the forward doesn't have to go back. I tried Complete Forward on (s) and (a) too with no success. I honestly think there's enough players trying to provide for my striker that they don't have to get too caught up with helping with the build up but I still want them to cause some confusion in opposition CBs so Pressing Forward (A) still makes the most sense.

I struggle with creating chances - any chances really. On away games I pray we get a header in and manage to defend til the last whistle. I think the team is really good for Serie A standards but I get uncomfortable playing the likes of Genoa or Monza. If we win, we do by a goal difference, most of the time 1:0. It's weird, I don't think it's a defensive tactic.

Can someone give me any tips?

Edited by szymunk

You look like you are playing a Gegenpress instructions wise, both attack and defence instructions so nothing obviously problematic there.  However, some of the roles you have selected won't do what you are looking for them to do.  Specifically the winger-attack on the left will stay wide the vast majority of the time and will only cut inside WITH the ball, he will attack the far post when the ball is on the opposite side but he won't come inside and sit narrow like you are looking for.  There isn't really a role which does this 100% consistently  but I had a fair bit of luck playing an RMD for that purpose.  RMD's seem to be much better in FM24 and easier to get going than they were in previous FMs so that might be worth a try.  I would switch the sides of your CM duo though, you want the playmaker on the same side as the  RMD to feed him the ball (I played an AP-s in the CM slot behind mine).

The winger on support won't drop back into CM strata from the AMR position (no role will really), but you could try adding hold position to him to stop him making forward runs if that is what you are looking for.

Last but not least I would suggest swapping the DLP-d for a DM-s with hold position PI (you can also add play making PIs if you feel you need them).  This is for two reasons, firstly you don't really need 4 defend duties and you already have the IFB and secondly you don't really want two playmakers so close to each other.

If you do flip the BBM and playmaker  to the opposite sides in midfield you could experiment with a more attacking role instead of the BBM (i.e. CM-a) or you could add a get further forward PI to the BBM (this is what I paired my  AP-s with).