How can I help this unambitious player reach his potential?

I started a save with Brighton, and am following their 'buy cheap, sell for loads' kind of approach. Lots of my players are young prospects who I then sell on for a lot more than I bought them for - and in general it tends to work pretty well.

A few (in game) years ago, I had a left back come through my academy who looked like he could be an absolute worldbeater. He had a 2* CA and 5* PA, and I started giving him first team minutes straight away.

A few years later, he hasn't really come along all that much - certainly not relative to some of my other players, who are now off winning Kopa trophies and young player of the year awards and that sort of thing. He's still got a 2* CA, and when I look at his progress there doesn't seem to have been that much improvement over the course of the last four seasons - which is obviously a bit disappointing.

The most obvious problem, to my mind, is his personality - and I'm not 100% sure whether there's anything that I can do about that, but my question generally is that besides putting him on the right training regime, and giving him plenty of first-team minutes, what else should I be doing with this guy to try and get him up to somewhere close to his potential?

Or - does his personality mean that he's a bit of a waste of time and I should bin him off and give someone else a shot?

Screenshot2023-11-15at12_44_49.thumb.png.0ed6012aa03fbaf21844f2af9b0cb8f2.pngScreenshot2023-11-15at12_45_03.thumb.png.f68e208488dc1fe9ed0ace7231e12147.pngScreenshot2023-11-15at13_03_46.thumb.png.a78be79e703014647d5c21207ece718b.png

Edited by tomthered

• tomthered changed the title to How can I help this unambitious player reach his potential?
16 hours ago, tomthered said:

I started a save with Brighton, and am following their 'buy cheap, sell for loads' kind of approach. Lots of my players are young prospects who I then sell on for a lot more than I bought them for - and in general it tends to work pretty well.

A few (in game) years ago, I had a left back come through my academy who looked like he could be an absolute worldbeater. He had a 2* CA and 5* PA, and I started giving him first team minutes straight away.

A few years later, he hasn't really come along all that much - certainly not relative to some of my other players, who are now off winning Kopa trophies and young player of the year awards and that sort of thing. He's still got a 2* CA, and when I look at his progress there doesn't seem to have been that much improvement over the course of the last four seasons - which is obviously a bit disappointing.

The most obvious problem, to my mind, is his personality - and I'm not 100% sure whether there's anything that I can do about that, but my question generally is that besides putting him on the right training regime, and giving him plenty of first-team minutes, what else should I be doing with this guy to try and get him up to somewhere close to his potential?

Or - does his personality mean that he's a bit of a waste of time and I should bin him off and give someone else a shot?

Screenshot2023-11-15at12_44_49.thumb.png.0ed6012aa03fbaf21844f2af9b0cb8f2.pngScreenshot2023-11-15at12_45_03.thumb.png.f68e208488dc1fe9ed0ace7231e12147.pngScreenshot2023-11-15at13_03_46.thumb.png.a78be79e703014647d5c21207ece718b.png

Don't play them in the first team before they turn 18 if you can, the training regimes develop them more before that age. There's not a lot you can do that about that now, so stick him in a mentoring group with some good personalities (professionalism, ambition, determination). You have probably hampered his development by chucking him in the deep end though.

The technical development dropping like that is strange, might be a bug in development which is never too unlikely at release. I think there was a problem on technicals not developing properly on young players last year. I would check your training schedules to make sure it's not on your end. 

Check his media personality to see what else is going on with him personality wise. See if you can get an indicator on his professionalism from that. Unambitious means Ambition 1-5 and loyalty 11-20. His determination is 13 which is fine for his age. Imo players from your youth academy should be integrated regardless of ability :) Worst case scenario send him out on loan for a few years. Unless a bid comes in for a player, you'll get way more profit selling them when they're properly developed 22-24ish.

For this player, I would train "knock the ball past opponents" onto him + train his acceleration/pace up as much as possible. He's already got great acceleration, but that is pretty useful with the pace to back it up. 

Edited by Cloud9

Ahh that is very useful to know - thank you! I imagined giving them first team minutes would develop them faster, but maybe not? That's great advice though - thank you.

If there was a bug with technicals in development is that going to have been ironed out in my save by the full game being released, or do I need to start again? 🤣

4 hours ago, tomthered said:

Ahh that is very useful to know - thank you! I imagined giving them first team minutes would develop them faster, but maybe not? That's great advice though - thank you.

If there was a bug with technicals in development is that going to have been ironed out in my save by the full game being released, or do I need to start again? 🤣

Any bug fixes via a patch should apply to ongoing saves. I suppose it would still impact your existing players as they might have missed out on key periods of development. 

I would check https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/ to see if it's a known issue.