Stopping crosses and general passive defending

Is anyone else struggling with getting defenders to engage with opposing players out wide and actually being able to stop a cross?  I'm getting to grips with FM24 and there are lots of things I like but this one is really doing my head in.  I've tried what you would imagine are the obvious TIs and PIs but nothing seems to make a difference.

Overall, defending seems really passive in that they'll run out to close down, but not tackle; or overrun slightly and let the opponent dander past.  This might be initial ME niggles which will eventually be fixed, but I'm hoping its not just me.

Does anyone have any ideas to mitigate it?  I'm playing a fairly standard 4-2dm-3-1 formation, though tinkering with some role combinations.

Cheers

Edited by footballtoast
Typos

Yeah it just feels buggy from what I can see - and its not even so much a positional thing, the players are roughly where I'd expect them to be, they just don't seem to do anything positive in a defensive sense.

I'm managing Real Oviedo so I know I'm not working with elite defenders, but neither am I playing against elite attackers and one of the comments in the thread you linked mentioned shepherding and thats the best way to describe it.

My defender "I'm coming out to close you down, so don't you try anything fancy"

Their attacker "Ok" *points left but goes right*

My defender "Oh FFS, not again"

31 minutes ago, footballtoast said:

Yeah it just feels buggy from what I can see - and its not even so much a positional thing, the players are roughly where I'd expect them to be, they just don't seem to do anything positive in a defensive sense.

I'm managing Real Oviedo so I know I'm not working with elite defenders, but neither am I playing against elite attackers and one of the comments in the thread you linked mentioned shepherding and thats the best way to describe it.

My defender "I'm coming out to close you down, so don't you try anything fancy"

Their attacker "Ok" *points left but goes right*

My defender "Oh FFS, not again"

The purpose of bug tracker is to post something within the game that we think is a bug with evidences so devs team can check it out and fix it if its a bug. So if you saw anything weird from your defence please report it on that thread.

This bug was from FM23. Just to know ;)