Styles of play other than elite short passing // Elite styles in lower leagues

• ceefax the cat changed the title to Styles of play other than elite short passing // Elite styles in lower leagues

I haven't tried playing much route one in FM24, but I miss one thing that I've never seen in FM to the degree I want.

When using GK to distribute it to a target forward with long kicks, I expect this to happen:

image.thumb.png.3bc81cc861f8118b9e64e5663e099f83.png

The whole team goes really narrow and surround the TF (Kenwyne Jones) as they get ready for Begovic to hoof it. In FM the GK barely even gets the ball anywhere near the TF most of the time, and players aren't ready to jump on the second ball.

On the topic of juego de posicion etc at lower levels, it has started to appear to an extent. Mike Williamson's Gateshead played an incredibly progressive style in the National League for example. But it was discernibly a LOT slower than the elite equivalent, and very prone to problems if they were pressed well. That really should be the risk in FM - try to do it too quickly or with poor players on poor pitches, and you'll start losing it at the back with your defence spread wide open, and giving away simple goals.  It's the riskiest, hardest-to-execute form of football there is, and that should really be reflected. Even at the top level, teams who play that way will regularly give away awful goals where the keeper plays a defender into trouble etc.

It should take by far the longest to train and gain familiarity with too, whereas every pub player basically knows how to play 4-4-2 and lump it long. That'd make it more rewarding if you can actually get your team to the point of playing that way, rather than just pressing the button. This is why managers who are short on time or under pressure 'go back to basics'.

Edited by ceefax the cat

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2023 at 14:00, lied90 said:

I haven't tried playing much route one in FM24, but I miss one thing that I've never seen in FM to the degree I want.

When using GK to distribute it to a target forward with long kicks, I expect this to happen:

pic

The whole team goes really narrow and surround the TF (Kenwyne Jones) as they get ready for Begovic to hoof it. In FM the GK barely even gets the ball anywhere near the TF most of the time, and players aren't ready to jump on the second ball.

I find the GK's special move is to repeatedly hit accurate long kicks towards the 5'6" poacher on the other side of the field.

8 hours ago, ceefax the cat said:

I find the GK's special move is to repeatedly hit accurate long kicks towards the 5'6" poacher on the other side of the field.

Yup, or the diminutive winger for some reason. Some GKs don't even manage to hoof it far enough up the field, which is weird for a pro GK considering that even an average 16yo can hoof it in a straight line to the forwards.