How to created a setup which has a an inter-divisional promotional playoff, followed by a promotion-relegation playoff between the last placed upper league team and the winner of the interdivisional playoff?

Dinda

I apologize if this was answered earlier somewhere, I've looked for a similar query but couldn't find it anywhere.

The scenario is the following:

• Division 1 is the upper division, where the last team isn't automatically relegated, but moves into a 2 legged promotion relegation playoff
  • Division 2 is the lower division, set up as a parent competition, that houses 3 divisions within itself (Say 2A, 2B and 2C)
    • The winner of each of A, B and C qualify for an inter-divisional promotion group stage (3 teams 3 matches)
    • The winner of this group stage then moves onto the promotion relegation playoff.

My issue is that I have set this up with what I believe is the correct logic on the advanced editor. The promotion group stage is working just fine. However, the promotion-relegation playoff is just not able to pick out the team from the promotion group stage (ERROR: Only 1 teams found, 2 needed). I've tried to set it up based on how divisions like Bundesliga 2 work, but to no avail. I've even tried to pull out league stage positions (final or otherwise), and choose last winner, but that doesn't work either. The requirements are set up correctly and so are the dates, it works with other placeholders (random teams), just that for some reason it's not able to pull out a team from the promotion group.

Is there something that needs to be ensured to make sure a lower league team can play in an upper league playoff? Does the fact that the team is being pulled from a parent competition have any additional considerations that need to be made? Please let me know if I'm missing something else.

Thanks!

Edited by Dinda

Hello, I've shared the file. The issue is visible between levels 3rd and 4th, and then between the intermediate league in level 4th and it's 3 feeding divisions in level 5th. The 5th level is verifiable.

The file is a WIP so Levels 6 and below are still incomplete.

Thanks!

Northern Ireland 23.fmf

In the promotion group playoff, are we sure it's pulling enough teams/the correct teams?

I wonder if it's something to do with the fact that the "lower division" is actually a specific stage in a parent comp. You could try chopping a bunch of possibly extraneous settings (like all the "other comps to add stage to" and "joint competition" stuff) as it may not be necessary.

You should try and avoid using that "add history record" fate action btw, usually means ranking levels aren't being handed out properly. If the game doesn't know who's finishing first/second/third without that, then there will be issues elsewhere (news items, Board reactions, etc)

So I did check that, and yes it is indeed pulling enough teams at that stage, and completing it as well (if you select top team to be a champion it gives a champion too). Which is why I'm so confused as I can't even get teams finishing in specific positions, or the last winner, despite knowing that the league stage is definitely ending.

I added the extraneous stuff to be as close to the examples I could see tbh, I don't bother with them usually, but in this case I thought it was relevant since they had it. But yes my guess is that it has something to do with the fact that it's a parent competition, and not just a regular upper and lower division playoff. I don't have any examples which are trying to do what I'm doing here, I can only see the regular stuff everywhere, so any pointers to a similar league setup or a file someone has worked on would be great.

Oh yes, I was intending to add the ranking levels properly once the pyramid was completed, I left that for later as each league within each parent competition has varying number of teams.

Edited by Dinda

Normally a league stage is enough for the game to know who's finishing in different rankings, but once you add different stages you need to specify with ranking levels and possibly ranking level info for the whole competition.

From looking some more I'd guess the issue is the fact that 4 teams are getting promoted from div 5 anyway, then it needs to get this extra team from the promotion group playoff. I wonder if you could set up the promotion playoff group stage in one of the 3 affected division 5 divisions (Coleraine, North west, etc) itself, as an extra stage. Obviously some more rejigging of "requirements" and "qualified teams" and such in that stage and in the intermediate league playoff. Using "other competition to add stage to", you could maybe make the group stage playoff visually appear in all three anyway. This might work because it wouldn't be relying on the parent comp complexity which is probably confusing the game

I see, so you're suggesting to not use this sort of a sandwich setup and find a workaround that doesn't involve the parent competition. I think that makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out!

I was trying some other options and saw that the editor is indeed getting confused in some cases between the stage 0 for child competitions and the parent competition in some cases, so I'm guessing that's happening here as well.

I hope someone replies to this post in case they have dealt with a similar setup as well.

Edited by Dinda
Missed out on clarification

• 2 weeks later...