Carrying points / fixtures through from group stage to next stage

Tony I M

Am I missing something obvious in the advanced setup.  Playing around with various ideas and have a 24 team division split into two randomly drawn groups that play each team twice in their group (22 matches) - the top 6 from each group go into a final league stage from which promotion happens, as do the bottom 6 from which relegation happens.  I'm pretty sure I'm ok with how the fate works to enable that, but what I can't seem to find is how to ensure the second stages only have matches (home and away) against teams they haven't already played and to carry through the results from the 10 matches each team will have played against the teams from their original group.

To carry over results, under "league settings" go to "matches from other stage" and I believe you'll need to select both "extra league games", specifying the stage you want to call results from, and "transfer standings" also specifying that prior stage.

As for the schedule, I swear there's a stage flag somewhere to only play against teams you haven't already played in a previous group, but I can't find it. In the absence of that you could use a hidden stage, it's a bit weird but intuitive in the end:

Spoiler

To add the hidden stage, you could duplicate the final stage or create one from scratch, and under league settings make sure "hidden stage" is checked (although you might not want to do this step until you're done testing, as having this stage that is only for the purposes of scheduling actually visible can help spot any errors). You can also use the "other league stage flag" of "don't rank teams using this stage" but I think the game will know that anyway.

For this hidden stage, under "teams" use "get league stage teams" from the final stage. In group settings and league settings, split it into two groups, same as the final stage. It should know to split them the correct way because the teams are being called in order and you're not specifying any other draw rules for this hidden stage. Under "group settings" set up a custom fixture plan where group 0 plays group 1 twice.

Then to bring these results into your final stage go to "other stage rules" for the competition, "take stage results into other stage" and set it up so your hidden stage sends results to the final stage. In the final stage under "league settings" make sure the box for "create fixtures" is unchecked (you'll have to check the box on the left to make it clickable, and make sure the box on the right is unchecked) so it doesn't try to schedule any games in this stage, just takes the ones from the hidden stage.

Obviously this hidden stage can't be set up until the final stage is, so will need the same "requirements" (or just put the final stage in "requirements" and check "stage only needs to be set up")

Complicated enough? Lol, I think it should work even though it's calling in results from multiple stages, but there's a lot of moving parts. Give it a go and let's see, if you get stuck I can take a look