I have problems about roles

I started my career at Newcastle United and transferred many new players to the team, but my left-back Federico Di Marco does not attack in any way, despite playing the WB(a) role, he lags far behind when attacking.

I use left wing Pedro Goncalves in the role of IW(s) and instructed to play in the narrow, but I'm having this problem even though it doesn't interfere with Di Marco in any way. Also, I can't get full efficiency from Pedro Goncalves. He doesn't run into the box at all, even if I play Isak as DLF(s) in the forward.

Just in a very fluid team fluidty, my players are running to empty areas, other than that they don't move too much.

We cross the penalty area many times every match, but there is no one inside who can shoot.

Although I use Guimaraes in the box to box role in the midfield, I can never see him near the penalty area.

I'm sharing my team with you so you can see where is wrong with roles and instructions.

Now you will tell me that my players have very good ratings, but my players made these statistics in the first 2-3 games :D

Adsız.png

Adsızq.png

Adsızz.png

Adsızzz.png

Edited by ObeLisk

On 08/06/2023 at 08:01, ObeLisk said:

I started my career at Newcastle United and transferred many new players to the team, but my left-back Federico Di Marco does not attack in any way, despite playing the WB(a) role, he lags far behind when attacking.

I use left wing Pedro Goncalves in the role of IW(s) and instructed to play in the narrow, but I'm having this problem even though it doesn't interfere with Di Marco in any way. Also, I can't get full efficiency from Pedro Goncalves. He doesn't run into the box at all, even if I play Isak as DLF(s) in the forward.

Just in a very fluid team fluidty, my players are running to empty areas, other than that they don't move too much.

We cross the penalty area many times every match, but there is no one inside who can shoot.

Although I use Guimaraes in the box to box role in the midfield, I can never see him near the penalty area.

I'm sharing my team with you so you can see where is wrong with roles and instructions.

Now you will tell me that my players have very good ratings, but my players made these statistics in the first 2-3 games :D

Adsız.png

Adsızq.png

Adsızz.png

Adsızzz.png

Check the players mentality in the PIs? Some of more attacking /defensive.

I see you're working on a midblock system, if you want your players getting forward more, try a high press.

1 saat önce, Cloud9 said:

Check the players mentality in the PIs? Some of more attacking /defensive.

I see you're working on a midblock system, if you want your players getting forward more, try a high press.

Wouldn't it be difficult with players with a slow defensive line and very low aggression ability?

25 minutes ago, ObeLisk said:

Wouldn't it be difficult with players with a slow defensive line and very low aggression ability?

It would change how your team play, but it would address that specific concern. I would say you're already taking that risk with your high defensive line.

If you want to keep your current system (and this is what I would prefer personally) I would suggest your problem could be fixed by putting Szo on a MEZ(a), Goncalves as an IF(s) and running 1 BPD defender on a mid block, mid defensive line with counter attack on (instead of regroup) as to attack the space as the roles are set up without compromising the slow back line. I'd also bin play out from the defence with this setup, where you're looking to go more direct. 

It will address these issues in the tactic:

• At the moment you're passing into space but not asking your players to attack the space, resulting in a mismatch. The big issue as is, means you won't create chances.
  • Not enough players looking to finish chances created. IF(s) will combo with the WB quite nicely and get the best out of Goncalves who is more of a finisher. BTW I think Dimarco doesn't have the legs to play a WB(a), ie trying to run to the byline, which means he will run out of gas. Personally I'd stick him on WB(s) and just ask him to send crosses in the PIs. Could be a great setup to utilize hit crosses early.
  • BBM is a defensive roamer, so you need 1 of the midfield 3 attacking, and Szo is superb at it with his athleticism and technical ability. The MEZ role capitalizes on attacking the space w/ the Winger while utilizing the Crossing/Longshots/late runs on the Mez.
  • Isak is a rare CFa in the game, he'll do fine as a AF as well, just something to consider.
  • Ask Saint Maximin to learn to Round the Keeper in a 1v1.

Oh and you should 100% add play for set pieces for these players.

Edited by Cloud9

I'm not commenting on your overall tactic, but about WBa issue I'd say that it's about creating space and currently you're not creating enough space on the left for him to run into.

Think about what do you want him to do? I understand from PI-s that he should move forward, stay wide and deliver crosses, and he's excellent in that. Well, IWs is also a wide player who crosses (and sometimes cuts in), so depending on your IWs PI-s they occupy the same space and trying to do the same thing. Start with changing your IWs to IFs (as Cloud9 already suggested) and check how IFs and BBMs work side-by-side. 

You could also include 'overlap left' instructions if that's the move you want to exploit on the left.