(FM22) 4-4-2 diamond narrow - defensive improvements

Hi, I'm looking for some advice to improve my tactic defensively. We had a good first season in the champions league reaching the semi-finals however in the domestic league we flumped mid-season and finished disappointingly 7th (goal was to qualify for the europa league). Goals were never an issue but we conceded far too much for my liking (got a disappointed status for the defensive football club culture).

Tactic was largely the below for the season with minor tweaks based on opponent. Notable PIs are close down more for the full backs, CAR and MEZ. I did also ask my anchor to close down less which may or may not have been right.

image.png.7813eac0f6bd67a503abd57bab31c1e9.png

Obviously a narrow formation will have issues on the flanks, so its no suprise that is where the main opponent assists came from.

image.png.50bee90b4aa2f955de70d52bfd3b88a3.png

Will need to revise my corner defence but clearly my opponents are having success attacking from the flanks.

My thoughts so far:

• Move my anchor to the midfield, probably as a CM(d). Will push the outer CMs further wide and hopefully make them better placed to engage the wide areas
  • Remov force inside, dont think this is working as I expected
  • Higher defensive line, opponent AML/AMR are getting the ball with a lot of freedom, if I push my line higher perhaps the defence will be closer to react

Anyone got any suggestions how I can improve here?

6 hours ago, Bellyfish said:

Hi, I'm looking for some advice to improve my tactic defensively. We had a good first season in the champions league reaching the semi-finals however in the domestic league we flumped mid-season and finished disappointingly 7th (goal was to qualify for the europa league). Goals were never an issue but we conceded far too much for my liking (got a disappointed status for the defensive football club culture).

Tactic was largely the below for the season with minor tweaks based on opponent. Notable PIs are close down more for the full backs, CAR and MEZ. I did also ask my anchor to close down less which may or may not have been right.

image.png.7813eac0f6bd67a503abd57bab31c1e9.png

Obviously a narrow formation will have issues on the flanks, so its no suprise that is where the main opponent assists came from.

image.png.50bee90b4aa2f955de70d52bfd3b88a3.png

Will need to revise my corner defence but clearly my opponents are having success attacking from the flanks.

My thoughts so far:

• Move my anchor to the midfield, probably as a CM(d). Will push the outer CMs further wide and hopefully make them better placed to engage the wide areas
  • Remov force inside, dont think this is working as I expected
  • Higher defensive line, opponent AML/AMR are getting the ball with a lot of freedom, if I push my line higher perhaps the defence will be closer to react

Anyone got any suggestions how I can improve here?

Do you have tall centerbacks? 

8 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Do you have tall centerbacks? 

I do, with great jumping reach. So perhaps I should be inviting crosses instead.

Thinking something like this 

image.png.67c69923cabee63627709930c49ffd61.png

Dropped the mentality down to balanced, will see how the affects the attack but im hoping that will reduce the amount of turnovers we have.

Another thing I've realised is that both my CARs have the 'get further forward' trait, which may be contributing to all the oppenent's left side assists. May need to find a more conservative player for this role.

37 minutes ago, Bellyfish said:

I like this setup. I would probably change the left fullback to a WBs as you have some cover with the CAR in front of him. Also, I like my forwards to do differentiere things. I would have one AF and perhaps a PFa alongside him. 

8 hours ago, Bellyfish said:

I do, with great jumping reach. So perhaps I should be inviting crosses instead.

Dropped the mentality down to balanced, will see how the affects the attack but im hoping that will reduce the amount of turnovers we have.

Another thing I've realised is that both my CARs have the 'get further forward' trait, which may be contributing to all the oppenent's left side assists. May need to find a more conservative player for this role.

I'd try dropping those 3 Cms to the DM Strada for a formation like this if you want some more defensive solidity and going with two wingbacks. 

Edited by Cloud9

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2023 at 10:25, Lasson said:

I like this setup. I would probably change the left fullback to a WBs as you have some cover with the CAR in front of him. Also, I like my forwards to do differentiere things. I would have one AF and perhaps a PFa alongside him. 

In the end I went with a support striker though I annoyingly realised that the majority of them have 'Take More Risks' by default which I didnt want. So was trying out a targetman (only other option would be pressing forward (s/d)).

This is what I was using for half a season.

image.png.90240176eddfd8514ae2ce3cd6eddf04.png

I feel it was working as I wanted. Sitting two points off Europe with majority of losses from big teams. 7th lowest conceded goals, lots of passes and posession. Flat midfield worked well, the AMC was very hit and miss tho.

Goal conversion wasn't great and still felt it was too easy for my opponents to waltz down the wing. But I guess thats to be expected in a narrow tactic and without world class wingbacks I don't think there was much more I could change.

Unfortunetly I've now been poached by a struggling big club and will likely abandon this tactic but its been interesting to try and get it to work.