Creating a new tactic with St. Pauli - need input

Good day, fellow tacticians!

I just started a new save with all football hipsters favorite, FC St. Pauli.

I want to create a tactic and style which is defensive solid and with lethal counter-attacks, and the first matches is proving to do so.

This is the first draft of the tactic, and I wanted to pick your guys' clever tactic-brains to further improve it.

Thanks in advance! :)

For info:

- All three forwards are instructed to Roam from position.

- Mez, HB and both WB´s are instructed to Shoot less often

Both CB's are instructed to Stay wider, to cover for adventurous fullbacks. Together with the HB dropping deep, they construct a back three when in attack.

- This is the home version of the tactic. I tend to use PF(S) and/or WB(s) when in need of more control. 

- Have experimented with the Focus play through the middle TI, but I am not sure if this is proving any difference - what do you think?

Skjermbilde2023-05-30kl_13_11_57.thumb.png.38779d5fa787b1a4fbead1ab9c87ead9.png

Edited by sigurd2resen

I don’t like using a SS behind two strikers, who both are looking to score goals rather than create.

I would either:

a) switch the CAM to a supporting role or

b) switch one of the strikers to a support duty. 

6 hours ago, sigurd2resen said:

Good day, fellow tacticians!

I just started a new save with all football hipsters favorite, FC St. Pauli.

I want to create a tactic and style which is defensive solid and with lethal counter-attacks, and the first matches is proving to do so.

This is the first draft of the tactic, and I wanted to pick your guys' clever tactic-brains to further improve it.

Thanks in advance! :)

For info:

- All three forwards are instructed to Roam from position.

- Mez, HB and both WB´s are instructed to Shoot less often

Both CB's are instructed to Stay wider, to cover for adventurous fullbacks. Together with the HB dropping deep, they construct a back three when in attack.

- This is the home version of the tactic. I tend to use PF(S) and/or WB(s) when in need of more control. 

- Have experimented with the Focus play through the middle TI, but I am not sure if this is proving any difference - what do you think?

Skjermbilde2023-05-30kl_13_11_57.thumb.png.38779d5fa787b1a4fbead1ab9c87ead9.png

No one defends in the tactic, which is going to make the defensive phase difficult.

I would swap one of the front 3 to a supporting role (PF(a->s) for example) and bin the AP for a Carrilero. Consider moving the Mez to Attack on the supporting strikers side, and the wingback behind to support. This can make your counter attack a little less predictable.

I would also consider removing work the ball into the box and play out of defence if you want to counter like you mention above, both will slow down your attacks. Shorter passing can be counter productive as well. 

6 hours ago, sigurd2resen said:

That's because your attack is a wing based attack in your current setup. Particularly in buildup phases everything will be going down the flanks with your Hb+wingback+diamond.

Edited by Cloud9

4 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I would also consider removing work the ball into the box and play out of defence if you want to counter like you mention above, both will slow down your attacks. Shorter passing can be counter productive as well. 

Have not quiteee decided on my style of play yet.
Wanted to try something new, but I always tend to fall back on some variant of vertical tiki-taka. 

This formation is not really very suited for a pure counter-attacking style either.

Right now I'm flying high in top spot in the Bundesliga 2 using the original TI's.
Adjusted SS to AM(S) and using Mez(A) and Car(s) in midfield. Also adjusted the WB(a) to WB(s) on one side, as you said.

Will wait and see for some in-game weeks. Might come back for questions.

Thanks again! :)

Edited by sigurd2resen