Pressing doesnt work

First, pressing does work. It is not because your team can’t press like prime Liverpool that press doesn’t work.

Now, if you want help, you have to post your tactic and players at least, and maybe be more specific about what you’re struggling on.

Thanks for the answer.
Here are my tactics and line-up:

all pressing settings on max (dline, high press, gk dist, counter press). Also I tried pressing-trap outside and pressing all defensive players in opposition instructions.

Most of the times the press is quite intensive, but Im very rarely able to force a long ball, mostly just win the ball back deep in my own half.

IMG_0324.jpeg

Edited by FalseZero

il y a 43 minutes, FalseZero a dit :

Thanks for the answer.

all pressing settings on max (dline, high press, gk dist, counter press). Also I tried pressing-trap outside and pressing all defensive players in opposition instructions.

Most of the times the press is quite intensive, but Im very rarely able to force a long ball, mostly just win the ball back deep in my own half.

IMG_0324.jpeg

Having all the pressing setting to the maximum won’t automatically make your team press very well.

Actually, what you’re basically asking to your team is to go press very high up the pitch and even when the ball is far away from them.

Leading to have a lot of gaps in your formation (that have counter and counter press).

Meaning that the opposition only have to play few short passes to have a lot of space to play into.

To play an heavy press, you need your players to have very good attributes in :

- Teamwork ;

- Agression ;

- Tackling ;

- Stamina ;

- Workrate ;

- Bravery ;

- Anticipation ;

- Strenght.

And I am sure that I forgot some.

You play such a high-intensity and fast tactic that, I bet most of your players aren’t at the right spot when they have to trigger the press, leaving huge gaps to play into.

If they don’t have the attributes, you just ask your players to run a lot. The more they get tired, the less the press is effective, the more your oppenent is prime Barcelona.

You say you want to force a long ball from your opponent. The best way to do it is not by having a huge press, but by having a « wall » of your players cutting all short passing options.

Do you have a perfect idea of how you want to play the game ? How you want to attack, how you want to defend ?

To be honest, it didn’t look like it. I feel (but I can be wrong) that you just put everything at max and asking your players to be very energetic, without a true game plan.

some of your TI’s don’t make sense (you seem to like to play a very fast way, but asking your team to wait for your full back to overlap, just so they can hit early cross when the one waiting for the overlap has to pass into space ?)

Edited by CKBrahMa

Thanks for your answer once more. 
I didnt want to force a long ball per se, but a panic clearance.

Often times the press however doesnt even do anything when the opposition goalkeeper has just distributed the ball to the centre backs and my players are prepared and lined up. Often the press is happening but the opposition can keep playing just fine. They do mostly have a second however to turn or receive properly, dont know if this is normal. What is the purpose though of a max press setting, if its no good?

Yeah might have to revise my tactics. My striker is very tall, my fullbacks are decent crossers but arent fast. Therefore I just wanted them to cross early. My ss is fast so I wanted him to link up with the Targetman and also receive through balls. Also wanted to play directly to the targetman and then win the second ball. However I barely ever get any crosses in. 
The other settings are just left overs from the fm preset tactic for playing over the flanks…Would be open for any kind of advise from you.

Edited by FalseZero

Il y a 12 heures, FalseZero a dit :

Thanks for your answer once more. 
I didnt want to force a long ball per se, but a panic clearance.

Often times the press however doesnt even do anything when the opposition goalkeeper has just distributed the ball to the centre backs and my players are prepared and lined up. Often the press is happening but the opposition can keep playing just fine. They do mostly have a second however to turn or receive properly, dont know if this is normal. What is the purpose though of a max press setting, if its no good?

Yeah might have to revise my tactics. My striker is very tall, my fullbacks are decent crossers but arent fast. Therefore I just wanted them to cross early. My ss is fast so I wanted him to link up with the Targetman and also receive through balls. Also wanted to play directly to the targetman and then win the second ball. However I barely ever get any crosses in. 
The other settings are just left overs from the fm preset tactic for playing over the flanks…Would be open for any kind of advise from you.

I think you have to read more carefully what the TI’s meaning.

Maxing the press won’t mean you have a very great pressing tactic. It is not an on-off option. 
You have to think of pressing intensity like a zone around your player where they’re going to press. The higher the pressing intensity is, the wider their pressing zone is. So, the quicker they’ll trigger their press.

Triggering the press doesn’t mean that the player will succeed in his press : it depends on the player attributes.

If you ask a player that can’t harass, that can’t tackle or just can’t renew his efforts in the press, it will only lead him to run and run and run.

As I said, you have to get a clear idea of how you want to play. Reading what you write, I would say that you want :

- a non-possession based tactic ;

- use your tall player as an assistant giver/creating 2nd ball so that your AMC or your AF can go behind defense and score ;

- play out on the wing.

However, you also want to play high up the pitch (reducing space for your AMC and AF), want to get the ball back quicker (once again, forcing your opposition to stay on their half) and also have to AP (with no winger per se + tends to be for a possession based tactic).

I feel like you want a style of play pretty much like France in the 2018 World Cup, am I right ?

If you want, we can work this out tonight together, I DM’ed you my Discord (it will be easier).

Then, we can share the results here ;)

• 1 month later...
On 15/05/2023 at 11:24, FalseZero said:

Hi,

my team is pressing really hard, but the opposition can just continue like theyre barcelona. They have fairly poor technical stats though. What can I do?

You could try the preset Gegenpress 4-3-3 DM wide. Very pressing tactic and incredibly strong, OP actually. As long as you do other crucial parts well, rotate sufficiently, manage player/team morale.

Edited by danej

On 15/05/2023 at 04:01, FalseZero said:

Thanks for the answer.

IMG_0324.jpeg

Your two wide roles, which will be key to the press won't contribute too much as APs. 

Going w/a pressing forward instead of the AF and using a double CM Strada double pivot will help you out as well. 

On 15/05/2023 at 12:44, CKBrahMa said:

Having all the pressing setting to the maximum won’t automatically make your team press very well.

Actually, what you’re basically asking to your team is to go press very high up the pitch and even when the ball is far away from them.

Leading to have a lot of gaps in your formation (that have counter and counter press).

Meaning that the opposition only have to play few short passes to have a lot of space to play into.

To play an heavy press, you need your players to have very good attributes in :

- Teamwork ;

- Agression ;

- Tackling ;

- Stamina ;

- Workrate ;

- Bravery ;

- Anticipation ;

- Strenght.

And I am sure that I forgot some.

You play such a high-intensity and fast tactic that, I bet most of your players aren’t at the right spot when they have to trigger the press, leaving huge gaps to play into.

If they don’t have the attributes, you just ask your players to run a lot. The more they get tired, the less the press is effective, the more your oppenent is prime Barcelona.

You say you want to force a long ball from your opponent. The best way to do it is not by having a huge press, but by having a « wall » of your players cutting all short passing options.

Do you have a perfect idea of how you want to play the game ? How you want to attack, how you want to defend ?

To be honest, it didn’t look like it. I feel (but I can be wrong) that you just put everything at max and asking your players to be very energetic, without a true game plan.

some of your TI’s don’t make sense (you seem to like to play a very fast way, but asking your team to wait for your full back to overlap, just so they can hit early cross when the one waiting for the overlap has to pass into space ?)

I'm guessing that to have players with all those attributes at a level you suggest would probably require millions of pounds invested to buy them.

My side can press like mad dogs after a bone. I am fairly certain I know why your side doesn’t press well. There are some roles I don’t agree with but before I explain further what are attributes for your AP, BWM, AM and the two strikers?