Mezzala positioning

Having recently read an article on The Athletic regards the way Odegaard & De Bruyne operate differently in the right hand channel of their respective teams, partly down to Odegaard being left footed I wondered what everyone’s thoughts are regards FM.

Do you find that it makes much of a difference if a mezzala is played on the opposite side to his strongest foot?

Like many in real life & in FM, I usually play with advanced full-backs & inverted wingers/inside forwards (who are often playing on the opposite side to their strongest foot). What kind of impact do you find that has?

You want to line your Mezzala up on the side of their foot, since they will cross. He is after all, a half winger. Two footed Mezzalas like De Bruyne are particularly powerful. The role moves into/creates in the half spaces, but also roams, where they can come more centrally to support attacking moves. You could try a left footed MEZ on the right to get more of that central play at the expense of the half spaces/crossing. 

And yes, you should do opposite foot with players that look to cut inside. It will hamper their end product if you don't. 

Unfortunately footedness isn't something FM does great in the ME at the moment imo. IRL having a left footed center back is in huge demand and short supply. In game, its importance isn't really reflected properly (partly do to trouble with Play out From the Back against a high press). An extremely one footed IW isn't the same glaring liability (Antony) as it is IRL. 

You can create unique styles of play by intentionally ignoring these guidelines (ex. playing a right footed winger on the left hand side in the midfield Strada) but unless you really know your way around things I would stick to those principles. Two footed players are fantastic in almost every position outside of "destroyer" or "water carrier" positions, although they heavily take up potential ability. In my saves I prioritize two footed central players that create or run with the ball at opposition (and a Mezzala is usually capable of doing both). 

Edited by Cloud9