Help needed: Offense not firing

Hello all,

after I got help with securing my defense a few weeks ago, I achieved that goal.

I started a save with Vfl Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga, while I can't fault my defense:

image.png.f37480839db68f24aa3e66aee649d5e7.png
Image: Table Vfl Wolfsburg in third having conceded only 16 Goals in 22 games but only having scored 25

Now my offense is not firing at all...

My current tactic

image.png.83085f300e6714f7ad575261f872d38e.png
Image: current tactic 4-2-3-1

Let me explain my thinking when setting this up:

Formation:

4-2-3-1 DM, I just looked at the players I had and looked how I could incorporate all of those I deemed "important" especially the starting front four.

Instructions:

In Possession

I am not recreating a style so I wanted to be as flexible as possible. So not many Instructions here.

whipped crosses: none of my strikers in a tower so having them whipped might help them win some more.

Focus Play Left/Right: At first I planed with Waldschmidt out wide and thought he has vision and passing so why not focus play through him, an the focus on the right wing to get the Winger often in 1v1s he should win and deliver a cross after.

In Transition

We were expected to finish somewhere in the middle 8/9tn I think.  So I thought when we have the chance we should counter and make the game quick.

Out of Possession

Again keeping with being flexibel not much to see here. If the opposition keeper has the ball I want him to play long figuring we might have a better chance winning balls in the air so we should prevent him from playing short.

Mid block again flexible don't run yourself in the ground pressing too high, don't invite too much pressure sitting to deep.

Drop off more well my CDs normally Lacroix and Bornauw are not to slow but I would rather them picking up speed backwards before the ball passes them than after just to help with balls over the top.

So that's the "tactical" approach there really is none except do everything a little and don't be too focused on doing one part while opening the other

Roles

Defense:

A simple GK: keep the ball out of the net don't do fancy stuff with the ball at your feet.

A really conservative Backline.
2 CD-Ds, protect the goal hold a line, play a secure ball.
2 Wingbacks on Defense.
On the right side Baku hates me for it but I wanted him to be a crossing threat from deep while wimmer could be a threat that goes to the byline if needed. So having him on defend was a tactical second way to score from the right choice.
On the left side I planed with Van de Ven he is decent going forward but with his height of 193cm he is more or less a third Central Defender plus I planed with Waldschmidt before him whom I did not trust to do the legwork coming back (Waldschmidt has 10 Workrate, 7 Positioning, 9 Aggression).

Midfield:

2 Dms well Dms so when a counterattack triggers they are not pulled forwards to far.

Left Dm an Anchor Guilavogui was my first choice he is a ball winner through and through but I wanted someone to protect the backline and the rather static anchor-role gives me that.
Right DM a Regista the more offensive Deep-Lying-Playmaker, My first choice here was Maxi Arnold, but he left in the Winter when the big guys called. He honestly wasn't as much of a playmaker going by his attributes, but I wanted someone to be responsible to man the middle of the pitch and be availble to be passed to as well as to have the freedom to pass wherever.

The AMs
Left-Am, planned with Waldschmidt here but with 13 Acc and 13 Pace he is not really fast enought to be a winger, but his passing an vision paired with his flair screem playmaker so I thought why not try that he can ping balls to the Winger opposite of him or slot a ball through to the other AM or the Striker. Hopefully pulling the opposition defense to his side freeing up a later arriving Wimmer.
Center-AM Felix Nmecha good all around So I thought why not hav him attack the backline, be a runner for the AP to his left.
Right-Am Wimmer a Winger stays wide trys to beat his opponent and cross the ball in. Also on Support when the ball is on the Left side he often arrives late an unmakred in the box.

Striker

Just a Pressing Forward a so basically an Advanced Forward with extra defensive duty I think. Here I had Lukas Nmecha who I wanted to partner with his brother a little faster a little stronger a good Striker to worry a Centerback or two.

I have my Set pieces set up they are not to fancy but also not too shaby for me. But I don't want to score more from set peices I want to creat more from open play.

Why haven't the roles changed even though some players have and we are not scoring?
Well to be honest mostly because the defense is rock solid and I fear I might unsettle that and I tried to buy better suited players for some roles. Oliver is a better Playmaker than Waldschmidt, Braganca a good regista and rather cheap I hoped he might breath some live into the offense with his skills (Passing15, Technique16, FirstTouch14, Compsure16, Vision15, Decisions14, Balace15, Flair12)

The Data

Spoiler

image.png.a4847f5994cb0f4bd26ccfa673a33eac.png

Image: Attacking Data

Spoiler

image.png.126d44cf4ca723332a96324b1c8e5ab7.png

Image: Defensive Data. Surprisingly we try to tackle super rarely

If you need some more Data please tell me I am happy to provide more.

But the ones that I think might be important:

Spoiler

image.png.21906403583a6a719d6feb82590a9990.png

Attacking Efficencty: we are middeling but more toward "Passive Shooting Wasteful shooting"

Spoiler

image.png.2dc550f9ad5a43bd2393137c7ab8ed3c.png

Scoring: middeling but towards "Low scoring, low nonPenalty.XG"

So no surprises here we don't create much and what we create is wasted a little more than usual.

Spoiler

image.png.e85cf9dbb726d54f051ed183fe5d56a3.png

Pitch Tilt: "Lots of passes against in final third, few passes for in final third"

Spoiler

image.png.3ca0bb353c37db253f9d25cd514a90ab.png

Movement: "Fewer dribbles, loose in posession" but dribbles is more or less middeling

Spoiler

image.png.5a8d96ee9da21d5fe97c45555cd78d4c.png

Pass Map Last Game: good linkup wide less linking up towards the middle

My analysis so far:

Obviously we are not creating many good chances by looking at the Passing map the AML doesn't provide the link up I expected towards the middle, all in all my Attacking 4 (5 counting the Regista)  have problems finding each other, that fact is also supported by the PitchTilt stat we have problems moving the ball around in the final third.
Why I can't tell for me the set up looks "fine" but it obviously is not. We are greatly over performing thanks to a gret keeper and a good defensive line. While I don't fear to lose a 1:0 with this team anymore I would like to be able to say we don't conceded and we score at will

Something else I noticed while writing about the formation and the roles, it reminds me a bit of Mourinhos second Chelsea stint with Ivanovic at Rightback and Azpilicueta at Leftback both also being rather shy going forward. Hazard on the left the heart of the team e.g. their Playmaker. A holder in Matic and a Playmaker next to him. But this wasn't the aim to recreate that but I at least am as efficent and as boring as they were in that first season. :lol: And like them in the second I would like to keep the defensive prowess while adding to my attack.

My Vision:

How i envisioned this to work: I thought the AML(AP) would come narrower building a "double 8" before the oppositions box, the AMC and the PF-A on a line worrying the Centerbacks. The Regista has the Winger as a forward wide outball or the Wingback on his side and a backwards outball. His Options to the right are the AML(AP) who moved more centrally as a forward option in the middle and the Anchor as an easy middle out ball while also having the Winback on the left side as a target for a switch of play. Thus creating a handball like ring around the opposition box that should have options to keep the ball and create holes moving the ball around. The AML as an AP-A is a dual threat here he might play a through ball but he might also take a defender on himself.
image.png.d5dbf4ee9ad75b499f8cb1814efea0d7.png
Image: vision for the formation with both playmakers as middle threats with all options available

Now to you:

So If you have tips on how to create more and better chances without disrupting my defensive prowess and without recruiting completly different player types, please write a comment, I am thankful for any tip with some explanation on why and how that might help/effect my team.
If you need some more Data or some other Input I am happy to provide whatever I can.

Edited by robot_9x3
Added Vision Section

Your tactic is working at the moment and I want to emphasise that change isn't 100% necessary. A lot of teams get by having a solid base and defence and the attack is secondary. Not every team can be both brilliant attackers and defenders.

With that out of the way, I think you have the solidity to push a wingback to support duty. I doubt for the need of an AP in setup either: clearly not much is meant to go through the middle and I think an IW+WB combo on the left could lead to better wing combinations. I also think, since potentially this tactic is mainly a wing play one, is to either add Arrive Late Trait to the AM or change it to SS.

1 hour ago, robot_9x3 said:

Hello all,

after I got help with securing my defense a few weeks ago, I achieved that goal.

I started a save with Vfl Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga, while I can't fault my defense:

image.png.f37480839db68f24aa3e66aee649d5e7.png
Image: Table Vfl Wolfsburg in third having conceded only 16 Goals in 22 games but only having scored 25

Now my offense is not firing at all...

My current tactic

image.png.83085f300e6714f7ad575261f872d38e.png
Image: current tactic 4-2-3-1

Let me explain my thinking when setting this up:

Formation:

4-2-3-1 DM, I just looked at the players I had and looked how I could incorporate all of those I deemed "important" especially the starting front four.

Instructions:

In Possession

I am not recreating a style so I wanted to be as flexible as possible. So not many Instructions here.

whipped crosses: none of my strikers in a tower so having them whipped might help them win some more.

Focus Play Left/Right: At first I planed with Waldschmidt out wide and thought he has vision and passing so why not focus play through him, an the focus on the right wing to get the Winger often in 1v1s he should win and deliver a cross after.

In Transition

We were expected to finish somewhere in the middle 8/9tn I think.  So I thought when we have the chance we should counter and make the game quick.

Out of Possession

Again keeping with being flexibel not much to see here. If the opposition keeper has the ball I want him to play long figuring we might have a better chance winning balls in the air so we should prevent him from playing short.

Mid block again flexible don't run yourself in the ground pressing too high, don't invite too much pressure sitting to deep.

Drop off more well my CDs normally Lacroix and Bornauw are not to slow but I would rather them picking up speed backwards before the ball passes them than after just to help with balls over the top.

So that's the "tactical" approach there really is none except do everything a little and don't be too focused on doing one part while opening the other

Roles

Defense:

A simple GK: keep the ball out of the net don't do fancy stuff with the ball at your feet.

A really conservative Backline.
2 CD-Ds, protect the goal hold a line, play a secure ball.
2 Wingbacks on Defense.
On the right side Baku hates me for it but I wanted him to be a crossing threat from deep while wimmer could be a threat that goes to the byline if needed. So having him on defend was a tactical second way to score from the right choice.
On the left side I planed with Van de Ven he is decent going forward but with his height of 193cm he is more or less a third Central Defender plus I planed with Waldschmidt before him whom I did not trust to do the legwork coming back (Waldschmidt has 10 Workrate, 7 Positioning, 9 Aggression).

Midfield:

2 Dms well Dms so when a counterattack triggers they are not pulled forwards to far.

Left Dm an Anchor Guilavogui was my first choice he is a ball winner through and through but I wanted someone to protect the backline and the rather static anchor-role gives me that.
Right DM a Regista the more offensive Deep-Lying-Playmaker, My first choice here was Maxi Arnold, but he left in the Winter when the big guys called. He honestly wasn't as much of a playmaker going by his attributes, but I wanted someone to be responsible to man the middle of the pitch and be availble to be passed to as well as to have the freedom to pass wherever.

The AMs
Left-Am, planned with Waldschmidt here but with 13 Acc and 13 Pace he is not really fast enought to be a winger, but his passing an vision paired with his flair screem playmaker so I thought why not try that he can ping balls to the Winger opposite of him or slot a ball through to the other AM or the Striker. Hopefully pulling the opposition defense to his side freeing up a later arriving Wimmer.
Center-AM Felix Nmecha good all around So I thought why not hav him attack the backline, be a runner for the AP to his left.
Right-Am Wimmer a Winger stays wide trys to beat his opponent and cross the ball in. Also on Support when the ball is on the Left side he often arrives late an unmakred in the box.

Striker

Just a Pressing Forward a so basically an Advanced Forward with extra defensive duty I think. Here I had Lukas Nmecha who I wanted to partner with his brother a little faster a little stronger a good Striker to worry a Centerback or two.

I have my Set pieces set up they are not to fancy but also not too shaby for me. But I don't want to score more from set peices I want to creat more from open play.

Why haven't the roles changed even though some players have and we are not scoring?
Well to be honest mostly because the defense is rock solid and I fear I might unsettle that and I tried to buy better suited players for some roles. Oliver is a better Playmaker than Waldschmidt, Braganca a good regista and rather cheap I hoped he might breath some live into the offense with his skills (Passing15, Technique16, FirstTouch14, Compsure16, Vision15, Decisions14, Balace15, Flair12)

The Data

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.a4847f5994cb0f4bd26ccfa673a33eac.png

Image: Attacking Data

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.126d44cf4ca723332a96324b1c8e5ab7.png

Image: Defensive Data. Surprisingly we try to tackle super rarely

If you need some more Data please tell me I am happy to provide more.

But the ones that I think might be important:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.21906403583a6a719d6feb82590a9990.png

Attacking Efficencty: we are middeling but more toward "Passive Shooting Wasteful shooting"

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2dc550f9ad5a43bd2393137c7ab8ed3c.png

Scoring: middeling but towards "Low scoring, low nonPenalty.XG"

So no surprises here we don't create much and what we create is wasted a little more than usual.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.e85cf9dbb726d54f051ed183fe5d56a3.png

Pitch Tilt: "Lots of passes against in final third, few passes for in final third"

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.3ca0bb353c37db253f9d25cd514a90ab.png

Movement: "Fewer dribbles, loose in posession" but dribbles is more or less middeling

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5a8d96ee9da21d5fe97c45555cd78d4c.png

Pass Map Last Game: good linkup wide less linking up towards the middle

My analysis so far:

Obviously we are not creating many good chances by looking at the Passing map the AML doesn't provide the link up I expected towards the middle, all in all my Attacking 4 (5 counting the Regista)  have problems finding each other, that fact is also supported by the PitchTilt stat we have problems moving the ball around in the final third.
Why I can't tell for me the set up looks "fine" but it obviously is not. We are greatly over performing thanks to a gret keeper and a good defensive line. While I don't fear to lose a 1:0 with this team anymore I would like to be able to say we don't conceded and we score at will

Something else I noticed while writing about the formation and the roles, it reminds me a bit of Mourinhos second Chelsea stint with Ivanovic at Rightback and Azpilicueta at Leftback both also being rather shy going forward. Hazard on the left the heart of the team e.g. their Playmaker. A holder in Matic and a Playmaker next to him. But this wasn't the aim to recreate that but I at least am as efficent and as boring as they were in that first season. :lol: And like them in the second I would like to keep the defensive prowess while adding to my attack.

My Vision:

How i envisioned this to work: I thought the AML(AP) would come narrower building a "double 8" before the oppositions box, the AMC and the PF-A on a line worrying the Centerbacks. The Regista has the Winger as a forward wide outball or the Wingback on his side and a backwards outball. His Options to the right are the AML(AP) who moved more centrally as a forward option in the middle and the Anchor as an easy middle out ball while also having the Winback on the left side as a target for a switch of play. Thus creating a handball like ring around the opposition box that should have options to keep the ball and create holes moving the ball around. The AML as an AP-A is a dual threat here he might play a through ball but he might also take a defender on himself.
image.png.d5dbf4ee9ad75b499f8cb1814efea0d7.png
Image: vision for the formation with both playmakers as middle threats with all options available

Now to you:

So If you have tips on how to create more and better chances without disrupting my defensive prowess and without recruiting completly different player types, please write a comment, I am thankful for any tip with some explanation on why and how that might help/effect my team.
If you need some more Data or some other Input I am happy to provide whatever I can.

Pretty simple fix here, two ways you can go: 

1. You don't have the pace, instructions, or roles to catch out the opposition on the break. I'd just up your lines and the goals should come. You might concede a few more but you'll score plenty, Lacroix's got recovery pace to burn so playing a high line isn't that risky. Swap the GK to a SK, get rid of prevent short distribution, and axe the whipped crosses.

2. If you want to keep your mid block, you need to have pass into space ticked to counter attack. Upping the tempo and playing more direct can help as well. For this an AF will be better than a PF. He won't press, but that works better in a high lines system. Instead he'll sit on the defenders shoulder and give you a constant goal threat (which you don't have at the moment). But yea, you might need to dip into the transfer market to build a side that can break well. I'd look for a really quick left winger w/dribbling and flair to play IW(a) or W(a) and move the AP into the 10. He doesn't even have to have real end product, you just want someone who can beat his man. 

On the data provided:

• You're not creating chances (passing, dribbling shooting in their final third as well) because your players are sitting deep and there's no one getting into positions to score. 
  • Whipping crosses is going to lead to a lot of wasted possession as well.
  • Tackles are low because there's not counterpress, if you tick this they'll tackle more often (but they'll get beat more often as well). I'm a fan of this approach but I'd turn it on within periods of games, your team is playing really passively.

If you don't want to sacrifice any defensive solidity like you mentioned, counter attack is for you. But then you'll need to spend which you also mentioned you wanted to avoid. Pick your poison, might be time to channel your inner Conte to the board.

Screenshot2023-03-20at4_42_54PM.thumb.png.d22fb7b651e935ad72cdcfe72620de79.png

Edited by Cloud9

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Cloud9:

You're not creating chances (passing, dribbling shooting in their final third as well) because your players are sitting deep and there's no one getting into positions to score. 

Yes I have seen that, I am just not sure why. I have a attacking Stiker, an attacking AMC, and an Attacking AML why is noone moving in positions to score or so rarely.

Whipping crosses is going to lead to a lot of wasted possession as well.

Why is that? isn't that an instruction like "if you cross please do X more" basically me saying please don't put the ball in the air in such a matter that he is covered with snow when he arrives at the target.

Tackles are low because there's not counterpress, if you tick this they'll tackle more often (but they'll get beat more often as well). I'm a fan of this approach but I'd turn it on within periods of games, your team is playing really passively.

I have no issue with that I was just surpirsed that the tackling is so none existing when the defense is rather tight.

You don't have the pace, instructions, or roles to catch out the opposition on the break.

I disagree slightly with the pace, Wimmer and both Nmechas are rather fast somwhere 15/16ish it's just the AML who is rather slow compared to them.
With the Roles and Instructions you are right. I wasn't intending on building a "pure counter attack" team but one that could beat an opposition in many ways, when it's slighly on to counter yes try it but else we should be able to score otherwise as well. (We arent able to score I know:()

For this an AF will be better than a PF. He won't press, but that works better in a high lines system. Instead he'll sit on the defenders shoulder and give you a constant goal threat (which you don't have at the moment)

Well than I might have misunderstood the role description. I thought the PF(A) behaves like a AF with the ball. I will try that for sure.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb The3points:

With that out of the way, I think you have the solidity to push a wingback to support duty. I doubt for the need of an AP in setup either: clearly not much is meant to go through the middle and I think an IW+WB combo on the left could lead to better wing combinations. I also think, since potentially this tactic is mainly a wing play one, is to either add Arrive Late Trait to the AM or change it to SS.

Thank you for that Input I will at least try with a more offensive Leftback role. The AP role is soley due to the player there being "to slow" to be any sort of "winger" in my eyes and well in my Friendlies he did what I hoped he would "receive the ball play a cross field pass to the forward rushing Winger to set up goals". 
Wouldn't a IW + WB combination behave rather similiar to AP+WB? the AP/IW moving inside freeing up space for the Wingback?
My Problem with the Shadow Striker ist that well he is more Striker than Midfielder so we have even less passing options in the middle when he pushes even higher, wouldn't that be a problem?  
Also I would like my striker to be the main goalscorer so with the other advice I have gotten from @Cloud9 I would move him to be an AF would that be a problem? Would both just pick different Channels and run? Creating penetration and hopefully scoring I crave? Or would both run into each other because they both try to be "the striker"?
Again thank you for your Input so far I will take the WB and SS recommendations and see if that helps with creating something.

But then you'll need to spend which you also mentioned you wanted to avoid. Pick your poison, might be time to channel your inner Conte to the board.

It's more a "I can't spend now", windows are closed and I would like to fix it with the players I have, and discourage someone coming in telling me about our lord and saviour 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress and 11 Wonderkids I should buy to play that.
I am at Wolfsburg I am certain in the Sommer I'll get a Warchest to do lots of things with, I don't need to Conte the board I think :lol:.
I would just like to do things with my "approach". Which yes is a Master of none because I would like to be able to beat all oppositions, If they play we should be able to grind out a result, if we are allowed to play football (face a low block) I would like the team to be able to create against that as well.
Problem here as we have all seen my team is missing something in the final third to create or hold onto the ball.

12 hours ago, robot_9x3 said:

Yes I have seen that, I am just not sure why. I have a attacking Stiker, an attacking AMC, and an Attacking AML why is noone moving in positions to score or so rarely.

Why is that? isn't that an instruction like "if you cross please do X more" basically me saying please don't put the ball in the air in such a matter that he is covered with snow when he arrives at the target.

I have no issue with that I was just surpirsed that the tackling is so none existing when the defense is rather tight.

I disagree slightly with the pace, Wimmer and both Nmechas are rather fast somwhere 15/16ish it's just the AML who is rather slow compared to them.
With the Roles and Instructions you are right. I wasn't intending on building a "pure counter attack" team but one that could beat an opposition in many ways, when it's slighly on to counter yes try it but else we should be able to score otherwise as well. (We arent able to score I know:()

Well than I might have misunderstood the role description. I thought the PF(A) behaves like a AF with the ball. I will try that for sure.

Thank you for that Input I will at least try with a more offensive Leftback role. The AP role is soley due to the player there being "to slow" to be any sort of "winger" in my eyes and well in my Friendlies he did what I hoped he would "receive the ball play a cross field pass to the forward rushing Winger to set up goals". 
Wouldn't a IW + WB combination behave rather similiar to AP+WB? the AP/IW moving inside freeing up space for the Wingback?
My Problem with the Shadow Striker ist that well he is more Striker than Midfielder so we have even less passing options in the middle when he pushes even higher, wouldn't that be a problem?  
Also I would like my striker to be the main goalscorer so with the other advice I have gotten from @Cloud9 I would move him to be an AF would that be a problem? Would both just pick different Channels and run? Creating penetration and hopefully scoring I crave? Or would both run into each other because they both try to be "the striker"?
Again thank you for your Input so far I will take the WB and SS recommendations and see if that helps with creating something.

It's more a "I can't spend now", windows are closed and I would like to fix it with the players I have, and discourage someone coming in telling me about our lord and saviour 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress and 11 Wonderkids I should buy to play that.
I am at Wolfsburg I am certain in the Sommer I'll get a Warchest to do lots of things with, I don't need to Conte the board I think :lol:.
I would just like to do things with my "approach". Which yes is a Master of none because I would like to be able to beat all oppositions, If they play we should be able to grind out a result, if we are allowed to play football (face a low block) I would like the team to be able to create against that as well.
Problem here as we have all seen my team is missing something in the final third to create or hold onto the ball.

:) Whipped are strong w/technical crossers looking to break down opposition sitting deep. On the break, low crosses are your friend for pacey frontmen. I prefer "hit crosses early" to break down defenses. 

On pace, I mean no one is scary quick in your frontline. The 15,15 and 14,16 are good, but most defenses have someone who can keep up with them at your level. I'd look for one position to be lightning quick if you're going to prioritize sitting deep. 16,16 is when we're starting to cook (w/ good mentals). 17 is the tipping point where you've got a forward who is just the fastest player on the pitch and can terrorize defenses when you're sitting deep. 

• That pace on an AF with off the ball or a creative winger with flair and dribbling will take your team from a good counter attacking team to one that can beat anyone on their day. For utility (and your current squad) I'd prioritize the winger, since you're struggling to create chances in general. Swapping Nmecha between AF/PF should work just fine. 

Cool cool, hope it goes well w the summer window.

• Your current formation looks great for breaking down small teams but you've got to put them in position to do it. Keep the PF and the AP in for them. Up the lines, drop the tempo, stretch the pitch, hit crosses early and you'll do great.
    • Against big teams, that injection of pace will be pivotal. Go with the AF, pass into space and you'll see more chances created. 
    • Against teams you're not sure about, go in on a blank slate and see how things progress before making changes 15 minutes in or so. 

Either way just make sure your tactic is telling your players to get up the pitch in one way or another and you'll solve the problem your facing at the moment. 

Edited by Cloud9

AP on the wing sits very narrow, much narrower than an IW, and will be a ball magnet, focused on receiving the ball to feet. An IW will stay wider rather and while it will move inside, it will make it so you have 2 players out wide more of the time.

While an SS would remove a player centrally, I don't think central play is a focus of the tactic really. Focus play left and right means that the ball will rarely move central, and when it does it will find the Regista who will just end up switching the play. With Focus Play Left and Right, the goal will be then to make crossing opportunities, where only the PF-A might be in the box. The AM-A might not crash the box that often. I'm very unsure how the SS and the AF will work together, I suppose that's something that needs to be experimented with though. 

image.png.b6430932fee648a6b3092e65aeb6fed2.png

Here's what I expect from the tactic with the ball.

And on the counter, I feel and IW is more useful than an AP on the wing as the AP will try to slow down play to find the perfect pass while the IW will dribble more and more quickly as a threat to opposition. Also I agree with @Cloud9 in terms of higher tempo and/or more direct passing for quicker and better counterattacking play (maybe even could work in possession as well)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb The3points:

I feel and IW is more useful than an AP on the wing as the AP will try to slow down play to find the perfect pass while the IW will dribble more and more quickly as a threat to opposition

That is probably true. But when not on the counter the AP gives me a Player with the license to do fancy stuff to unlock defenses (I know its not working thats why you are here). I wouldn't even mind if he slows play down when appropriate.

Idea behind the AP

Spoiler

image.png.0b66847588e583c5c4cd6f0d35a3ae5c.png

Image: AP with the ball in the channel (tactical-board skech)

Just picture this the AP slows down play there in the channel-wide area, he is a dangerous man so he will probably be closed down. The opposition defence shifting more and more to the left.
Ideally creating numerical supperiority just by him having the ball and drawing in opposition players.
By him being narrower and not alone on the wing the R-DM/CM-, R-CD and RB all have to have an eye on him, with ball or without. So he alone should be a worry for three players.

He can either:
- dribble himself into dangerous areas (that's why he is on Attack)
- play through balls to the AMC or the ST. (Someone finally makes the runs by having an AF)
- play a security pass to the, hopefully, rather free regista who could do magic
- shift play to the other now free wing.
- play with his Wingback who might try to overlap. Happens rarely but it does happen.

That and again the lack of pace in my options are my reasons to opt for the AP-A rather than a Winger or and IW.
I might have it wrong but all Wingers need pace a Treq or an AP are not as reliant on that to do their role. Due to me wanting to be defensively sound a lazy Treq is obviously not an option.
Maybe my thinking here and my idea is flawed and I am not 100% grasping what the IW will bring to my game, so sorry for being so stubborn in defending my AP-A choice. :lol: If scoring does not approve I will obviously try the IW-Role eventhough I do not understand how/why that could improve our penetration.

Current Changes

I tried AF-A and SS-A and while they both tried to penetrate they both do it seemingly equally, so both seem to try to pin the backline and start a run. I didn't like how that looked so I rather quickly went for AM-A and AF-A the AM-A starts and arrives a little later but he is more of an option should the ball go through the middle on accident.

I tried with a Wingback-Su on the left side to have a more eager overlap and width there. But that seemed to open up the left a little bit more. So for the new season I am back to my all defensive backline.
Else I added the low crosses as explained by @Cloud9  and the more direct passes and the slightly higher tempo.

I got some new recruits I bought a 17/17 Winger 18/18 was not available even with 50.000.000,00 to start with... I will be honest he is not an upgrade to Wimmer but he has 17/17 and was cheap due to being transferlisted (and well not awesome) but he should be able to do the Winger stuff decently well. I will rotate them once both are fit. Obviously the new guy got hurt early in preseason. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

image.png.4c474d126ad59f3e20855df24dcd2c85.png

Image: comparison Wimmer vs new Winger Recruit Rigoberto Rivas

I needed a new backup Striker my old one left so approached two guys Santiago Gimenez and Tommaso Biasci.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f2c6d039e6d565a7c15af15cbdcfed90.png

Image: Both new Strikers compared to L.Nmecha

Biasic was super cheap and happy to be an emergency Backup even thought he seems to be close ability wise and Gimenez, for me at least, seems to be a slight upgrade to L.Nmecha having only cost 12.000.000,00. currently I plan to Rotate Nmecha and Gimenez.

Also I bought a new solid Centerback in Lucas Verissimo to have a capable backup, having lost Bornauw in the Winter and also van de Ven during stretches of the last half of the season, might have played a part in the end of the Season but that's the next Chapter.

What happend after implementing the Changes

I asked for advice after 22 Games.

Conceded Concede per game Scored Score per Game Games played
16 0,73 25 1,14 22
13 1,08 21 1,75 12

That meant in the league we only had 12 Games left,
while before the changes we only conceded ~0,73 goals per game after the changes we conceded ~1 goal per game.
Offensively we scored before the changes 1,14 goals per game after the changes we scored 1,75 goals per game.

I don't have data for incorporating the low crosses and the more direct passing yet. I will update after having played some games of the new Season.
But at least the role changes especially for the Striker seemed to be crucial. Nmecha was second in the the race for the top goalscorer with 21 goals having scored  13 Goals in those 12 games.

What also happend is we conceded more, but again I lost Bornauw my best Centerback for 6 Month so he was gone when I asked for help but his replacement van de Ven (who was supposed to play as leftback) also got hurt for some stretches of these 12 Games so I only played with 1 real centerback that being Lacroix.

Something I noticed: a lot of the highlight against us started on the left side so the side where the new Leftback was higher due to him being a WB-Su. So again for the new season I will start with the all defensive back four. Hoping to secure the defense a bit more while not messing with the scoring.

What I am fearing though is that the more direct passes and higher tempo will lead to us having even less possesion than we already have had. Again I will update you guys soon. I hope we will like in these last 12 Games widen our XGf-XGa score even more. From 0,41 to 0,67 was a huge leap forwards for us.

So for now Thank you all for your Inputs, I hope I can give you an Update either tomorrow or on Thursday on if we could improve evenen more. From the friendlies i played it looks good but they were only friendlies.

Edited by robot_9x3

I don’t know a great deal about all your players, but to me your initial set up looks like your not optimising the better players you have, particularly on that right side. Baku is a great attacking threat with great stamina, having him as a WBd feels wasted, id go either WBs or FBA. Then I’d switch your midfield two around so the A gives Baku some protection. Ahead of Baku I’d go with either an IWs or switch ur ApS over to that side so they sit narrower giving Baku more freedom. 
keep Nmecha as an AF - he’s perfect for that role. 
If you go AP on the right ahead of Baku, then you could make your left side an IF ( s or A depending on situation) so Nmecha has some support in the box. 
For the central role AM s would be fine. I’d be tempted to also swap your reg for a vol so you can get a bit more attacking threat. In your opening post there could be times when only your AMA is in the box so getting another midfield runner would help. 

IFA.                  AF.                APs

AMA

Vols.              A

FBd.          CDd.        BPd.       WBs

Add overlap right, set ur def line to higher  to utilise the pace of Lacroix and I’d hope to see a few more goals flying in without giving up too much defensively 

So Update 3, played 12 Games so far still forth and second best defense also not to shabby scoring wise this time around:

Current Standing

image.png.0d290b7b7da8e188f628a29cc9f8ed1a.png
Image: BuLi Table with us in fourth

image.png.d9aa9a9d202003a2abd5f1784f831453.png
Image: current team and tactic

I incorporated @dazza11 suggestion to not waste Baku and used him as a WB-At (To be honest I realy don't know the difference between FB-A and WB-A, i just prefer WBs most of the time)
I also switched the AP with the Winger and the Winger now is a IW I think he still has the option to go wide, at least he does quite often.
To cover Baku the DMs were switched as well so we keep my basic approach but we mirrored it.

The prevailing Problems

The Data:

Spoiler

image.png.3247e938e29f2317c34ffb75fc1b8d32.png
Image: Data Team Attacking: subpar passing completion and xG value.

image.png.9fba9f1f9b7abd68318b19120e30d7eb.png
Image: Data Pitch Tilt we are still not able to play passes in the oppositions third

image.thumb.png.5d9ff70416a6fb733690e6f6e133a63b.png
Image: Possesion stat at 45% 15th worst in the BuLi

Conceded Conceded per Game Scored Scored per Game Games
13 1,08333333333333 21 1,75 12
7 0,583333333333333 16 1,33333333333333 12

As we can see defensively we seem to be still as sturdy as I want to be. With the ball we are now a little bit less effective.
The stats few passes in final third, bad possession, bad passing completion, tell me we loose balls to easily.
The few passes in the "Defensive Third For" are a even worse problem.

My aims 

Still while keeping the defensive side of the ball top notch, up our attacking output.

How do I want to do that?
Well first of all, we need to keep the ball more.
I will have to check why we can't keep the ball in the attacking third.
After that we need to look at Chances created.

Possession

As you might see from the Formation screenshot I removed the play more direct and currently i am pondering to play shorter passes.
This would hopefully only see my playmakers play some fancy long range passes while everyone else focuses on not giving the ball away cheaply, thus helping us stay on the front foot some more.
Any thought from you guys on this?

While I obviously thought part of the problem might be missing passing options, except for the striker most players seem to have two options with them to keep possesion in all highlights.

Than I thought we might be to shot heavy.

Shooting

The Data:

Spoiler

image.png.9f721762fc475a8a0696f063abbd2609.png
Image: Shots per game, 9th with 11,58 in 12 games

image.png.0a699c58d5357d1787a25a2db9ae2118.png
Image: Shots on target ratio, 4th with 43%

image.png.c018cf849ab29a0d408918f25e42ff42.png
Image: Chance creation, 10th with 26 in 12 Games

image.png.50ff6130a5fc61705b6f405d9fffa0fb.png
Image: Shooting map, rather central shooting locations

Well we seem not to shot heavy, being only 9th in shots per game. The shots we take go on target in 43% of the cases, so they seem to not be desperation attempts.
The shooting location is quite central for the Last 5 Matches which is also good.

In my opinion we are not shooting enough, which is underpinned by our chance creation having us 10th in the BuLi. 

Back to the start why can't we keep the ball in the final third?
- We are not creating tremendous amounts of chances. We do not only need few passes to unlock the opposition and having a shot.
- We are (in my opinion) not options to pass to either upfront or in on the same line.

Back to looking at the Possession:

Player Stats

Who looses the possession a lot?

Spoiler

image.png.02671fc76a8d59f675856b30df127320.png

Image: Squad view sorted by possession lost

Well my new Winger recruitment is at the top of the list, a pity but expected when his defining trait is "can run fast with ball". Actually both Winger (Rivas and Wimmer) are in the top 3 of possession lost.
Both with horrendous passing completion as well. loosing many balls due to dribbling a lot is expected but also by poor passing...
Well as expected both cross a lot but unexpectedly poor, probably because they were wingers on the right when I started the season for half of the games, so I might see that drop now they are Inverted.

Also of note both Regista players (Svanberg and Braganca) are loose with possession, being in the Top-5. Their passing completion is around 80%, not good but not horrible for guys I expect to play the difficult pass. Could be better though.
They are as I wanted and as the passes attempted show obviously our distribution hub having by far the most passes.
I suppose their crossing is so high because they are my main Corner takers. at least I havent seen one of them on the overlap in a highlight:lol:
I actually don't know why their Pass completion is so low. These guys should have always options in front, even more now that Baku (Right Fullback) is allowed to attack. They should have always a save option besides them.
With Vision15 they should be able to see enough options. They should make decent Decisions (13/14) and should be rather Composed(13/16).

Would any of you guy have a guess why their completion is around 80% rather than lets say 85%?

My Keeper (Casteels) giving away so much possession is a concern. But I try to force the opposition to do the same so I can't blame him. I will have to ask him to play shorter though. (I will tick what fits his kicking/passing/throwing toget him to play safer balls)

Obviously my Advanced Playmakers (Waldschmidt and Oliver) are here as well.  I am impressed by Oliver though while his number is high it's a lot smaller than Waldschmidts and also smaller than both Registas.
But both of them have a low passing completion. I suppose here we could have an option problem only the other AMs and the Striker were viable Attacking options before I pushed Baku(Rightback) up the field. So I might have to wait to see some improvement here.

The other none surprising entries here are my Central Attacking Midfielder (F.Nmecha and Jonas Wind) but them being 8th and 10th is rather impressive. They are the most forward players in our midfield only having the Striker infront of them.

The odd one out is my Backup Righback Fischer, he completes lots of his passes but loses possession a decent bit. I guess he is not up to the task to fill Bakus shoes. But only  Four starts and more often than not not even being on the bench, he is not worth looking into.

Another point of possession lost is both Strikers with Gimenez 11 and L.Nmech 16 Offsides in all competitions.

My Result

I will wait on some feedback from you guys before continuing.

My planed changes are:
- Ask the keeper to distibute safer.
- lower the passing down from more direct.
- I am thinking about lowering the passing tempo to balanced again, we are not a counter-transition team and most other teams don't allow us to do that anyway.

Well that's the direct ideas I had. I still don't know how to help us keeping the ball in the final third.
Work Ball in the Box seems contra productive we don't over-shoot we under-create.
Asking for more dribbles or to Run at defence.. I don't know why, the AP-A, IW/W-Su are already asked to dribble more. I can't see this helping us but I could be wrong.
Play for set pieces they are set up but I think we scored  only ~3 goals from corners and freekicks and we don't have a really good taker since Arnold left. Also I don't want to be reliant on that.
Be more Expressive I actually thought about this. It could bring some needed Chaos but actually I do not know what exactly it does. Our current attacking approaches also look like chaos so we might not need that.
Hit Early Crosses something @Cloud9 mentioned already I should think about. I don't know if that would help. Wouldn't that mean we are even more likely to just ping the ball in there hoping either the ST or the AMC reach it? So not really helping with final third possession but possibly helping a lot with scoring.

Maybe I need to change roles which so far I have been reluctant to do I admint that.

Bonus A defense that holds but doesn't work

Spoiler

So just for the fun of it some rather interesting defensive stats I have seen while looking through why we are so poor when attacking. Enjoy if you want to, not needed to help me I am rather happy how the defense performs being second best for conceded as well as clean sheets.

image.png.2fb1d7fad20b33e84f9f96c81a8fc573.png
Image: Passes per Defensive Action, we are dead last

image.png.f82b69edb2392549eef3471c9c01c8b4.png
Image: Tackles Won, dead last shared with Bayer04 Leverkusen

image.png.e468cbfc9457c87c2e007a247fde8661.png
Image: Fouls made, dead last obviously when you don't tackle. :herman:

image.png.965bc61c8313e78b582fef95a52f37d2.png
Image: Interceptions second in the BuLi, I actually don't know why we don't pressure anyone into making bad passes:lol:

So the guys don't tackle but like to stand around in the right positions, what was that with the give adifficult job to a lazy person because he finds an easy way?:D
I am rather happy that it works that well in this years FM to not be a Klopp-Style pressing machine to defend.

Update 4

Success I think.

The Table while unimportant for this thread as a whole it provides us with the goals against and goals for stat.

image.png.b54fb372c9aaa51da0de4b9364582426.png
Image: League Table third. second best defense, 8th best offense.

The tactic

image.png.3b2732eb527e0d148fa23127bea4a0a7.png
Image: tactic

So as I said I wanted to keep some more possession. I actually used shorter passing. I dropped the AP-A to a Ap-Su
The left FB was once more turned to a FB-D to keep solidity that forced me to switch again from IW to W.
I switched form Fullbacks to Wingbacks.
Why the FB switch?

image.png.1a5db3a1bd486be99c90a15452050a1b.png
Image: horrible run of games

As you may see we had a horrible run of games with lots of goals conceded as well as chances allowed. From the Highlights, I saw, I deducted that our wings are exploited ruthlessly. So I needed to solidify them again without harming the attacking I am after still to much.
Reading the Roles Fullbacks are more defensive than Wingbacks. For me it seemed like they are way more dutyfully tracking back into their position. Could be wrong though.

image.png.f065df005401b9d3b3e8cf50a42cfb41.png
Image: results after the switch

Well as the results seem to prove the fullback switch helped. But I am aware we had the great luck to have to play 3 wins in a row (Bochum, Regensburg, Darmstadt).

I think the changes were quite successful. We were way better keeping possession. We were way better at creating opportunities.

image.png.08a817b309bacc6d16379ff9cdb12757.png
Image: Pitch Tilt data. we moved way closer to the coveted few passes, against lots passess for

image.png.801c8be287eade6c7567251923fcd327.png
Image: Attacking efficancy

Thank you for everyone helping out and sharing their knowledge and ideas.

On 26/03/2023 at 09:18, robot_9x3 said:

Update 4

Success I think.

The Table while unimportant for this thread as a whole it provides us with the goals against and goals for stat.

image.png.b54fb372c9aaa51da0de4b9364582426.png
Image: League Table third. second best defense, 8th best offense.

The tactic

image.png.3b2732eb527e0d148fa23127bea4a0a7.png
Image: tactic

So as I said I wanted to keep some more possession. I actually used shorter passing. I dropped the AP-A to a Ap-Su
The left FB was once more turned to a FB-D to keep solidity that forced me to switch again from IW to W.
I switched form Fullbacks to Wingbacks.
Why the FB switch?

image.png.1a5db3a1bd486be99c90a15452050a1b.png
Image: horrible run of games

As you may see we had a horrible run of games with lots of goals conceded as well as chances allowed. From the Highlights, I saw, I deducted that our wings are exploited ruthlessly. So I needed to solidify them again without harming the attacking I am after still to much.
Reading the Roles Fullbacks are more defensive than Wingbacks. For me it seemed like they are way more dutyfully tracking back into their position. Could be wrong though.

image.png.f065df005401b9d3b3e8cf50a42cfb41.png
Image: results after the switch

Well as the results seem to prove the fullback switch helped. But I am aware we had the great luck to have to play 3 wins in a row (Bochum, Regensburg, Darmstadt).

I think the changes were quite successful. We were way better keeping possession. We were way better at creating opportunities.

image.png.08a817b309bacc6d16379ff9cdb12757.png
Image: Pitch Tilt data. we moved way closer to the coveted few passes, against lots passess for

image.png.801c8be287eade6c7567251923fcd327.png
Image: Attacking efficancy

Thank you for everyone helping out and sharing their knowledge and ideas.

Those teams you lost too in your poor run are top of the line squads. You might find more success dropping your defensive line to standard against big teams.