(FM23) Back In The Saddle

Coxie84

(FM23) Back In The Saddle – Introduction #0

Posted on 14 Mar 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-6.jpg?w=1024

Introduction

I’m “Back In The Saddle” with a brand new series with the club I support Walsall FC and see if I can take them to “The Promise Land” as that they have never been in the top tier of English football.

I have been going down the Wednesbury Road to see the Walsall aces since the mid-90s and watched them many times over the years. In the last couple of season’s, I’ve had a season ticket for free to watch Walsall due to being a serving member of the Armed Forces (Royal Navy) and yes I have renewed it for the 2023/24 campaign for free too. Cheers Walsall…

I’ve seen the up’s, the downs which included our first Wembley appearance in our 135-year history, way back in 2015 in the Johnstones Paint Trophy, but unfortunately on that day we lost to Bristol City 2-0 (Me at Wembley in picture below, Jesus I look fat there, lol). In 2016, we missed out on promotion to the Championship by a single point, and then lost in the playoff semi-final against Barnsley and more recently our relegation that ended our 11 year stay in League One at the end of the 2018/19 season, luckily for me, I was away in Bahrain with my job for most of that season for feel for all that had to watch it.

image-29.png?w=839

Another challenge whilst doing this series is to get the mighty Saddlers into Europe because back in the season of 1983/84, in the League Cup, The Saddlers advanced to the Semi-Finals and played the reigning First Division champions, Liverpool. An incredible 2–2 draw at Anfield in the first leg had Walsall dreaming of an unlikely Cup Final and a place in Europe, however, a 2-0 second leg defeat in front of 19,591 fans at Fellows Park saw Walsall lose the tie 4–2 on aggregate and the dream was over.

An appearance in the semi-final of the League Cup coincided with the re-opening of Birmingham International Airport and British Airways took creative advantage by launching an advertising campaign featuring a photo of the Walsall team with the catch line: “They’re only 90 minutes from Europe!”

If anyone doesn’t know about the mighty saddlers they are a professional football club based in the town of Walsall, West Midlands, England. They compete in the EFL League Two, the fourth tier of the English football league system. The club’s nickname, “The Saddlers”, reflects Walsall’s status as a traditional centre for saddle manufacture.

Walsall moved into their Bescot Stadium in 1990, having previously played at nearby Fellows Park for almost a century. The team play in a red and white kit and their club crest features a swift. We hold rivalries with nearby Wolverhampton Wanderers (The Dingles) and West Bromwich Albion (The Baggies).

So The Story Begins…

The 38 year old local lad CoxieFM is hired as the new manager of Walsall FC. In a statement I am proud to take over the reins of the West Midlands club, in what I hope will be a long term career taking them up through the English pyramid with the aim to eventually reach the promised land of the Premier League.

image-37.png?w=1024

The club has been established for 135 years, but only have TWO trophies to our name in our entire history. Our fiercest rivals are Wolverhampton Wanderers which is dubbed as the Black Country Derby, due to the close proximity of the two clubs. With regards to the club’s facilities, they’re not the greatest which is to be expected down at this level. I’ll be looking to upgrade these as we progress the club throughout the years ahead.

image-38.png?w=1024

Luckily, expectations of the board are reasonable, record a top-half finish expected this season and be competitive in the three cup competition and as long as I stay within the wage budget, I should keep the chair people happy.

image-39.png?w=1024

The season review predicts us to finish in 10th place in the league this season. We currently the highest net transfer spenders in the league and brought in 12 players, which will likely increased during the season as we have roughly £150K in transfer budget but only £1.5K in wages.

image-40.png?w=1024

Also, during the season in real life, Walsall brought the ground back off former chairman Jeff Bonser and on the game at the start of the FM23 cycle we were paying roughly £500k per year in rent, so I was straight on the DM’s to Football Manager lot on Twitter demanding them, well asking them politely to change it for the winter update and of course they had to confirm with the club and media this was true. So, Walsall fans you can thank me for this update, lol. But I hope I wasn’t the only one messaging them about it because that money was a killer in previous FM iterations.

image-48.png?w=1024

Meet The Squad

We start the series off with the winter update on FM23 and we have a 25-man squad and to be honest for the first time in a few seasons, I think we have a good squad but I think a couple of addition later on down the line in the first season and I think we have a good chance of that top-half finish that the board want from me.

image-41.png?w=1024

Also, the injury list at the start of the campaign sees me with seven players first team players out with a different range of durations they are out for and to be honest I could have done with some of them from the start.

image-43.png?w=848

At the start of the season with three out of five first team players currently out on loan for the season. They are the likes of Peter Clarke and Timmy Abraham, yes brother of Tammy both joined Oldham on loan and Rollin Menayese to Hartlepool. The other two players are youth players who could both benefit from first team football.

image-44.png?w=890

Transfer News

The only signing so far, sees me bringing in Lewis Ward, GK on a free transfer and he comes in as back up for Owen Evans. Still have over £100K in the transfer budget so I might keep this and wait until January if I need to strengthen the squad.

image-46.png?w=1024

Friendlies

I wasn’t in charge for the Bishop Stortford fixture but we won anyone. I rearranged the remaining fixtures to face Scottish teams from Celtic & Rangers B teams in preparation in facing Scottish league one side and then finishing off against a Scottish Premiership side. In all, I was impressed with all the games we played and even the 4-2 defeat to Kilmarnock which I had a feeling about. Dunfermline was a tough side but the games against Celtic & Rangers B sides were easy.

image-45.png?w=924

Final Words

Firstly, a shout-out to @AnderzbazGaming for doing the thumbnail for this series which I love, thank you bud and what makes it extra special is that it is my boy who was waving the flag when we saw Walsall play Barrow this season and I won’t tell you the result, lol….

AnderzBaz is FM23 content creator, so please go check out his work out over on his YouTube channel. Please click the link

image-47.png?w=1022

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback and questions and don’t forget to check out all the other blogs on here and you can follow me on Twitter here.

See you next time and thank you for reading…

Edited by Coxie84

• Coxie84 changed the title to (FM23) Back In The Saddle

(FM23) Back In The Saddle – #1

Posted on 18 Mar 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-11.jpg?w=1024

I’m “Back In The Saddle” and hoping to take Walsall to “The Promise Land” of the Premier League as they have never been in the top flight of English football. Also, they were only 90 minutes away from Europe back in the 1983/84 season, so I am hoping that one day, the sounds of the Champions League music will echo around the Poundland Bescot Stadium…

Last episode: (FM23) Back In The Saddle – Introduction #0

ON THE PITCH

AUGUST

I head into my first competitive match in front of our fans at the Poundland Bescot Stadium in the LEAGUE TWO clash against Hartlepool United and in that squad was former Saddlers player Brendan Kiernan who had a game to forget as that Jamile Matt and Taylor Allen both scoring on their debuts are the club in the 2-0 win over the Pools. There could have been another debut goal for Andy Williams too, but he was denied my 12 yards by the Pools keeper.

We traveled to Rodney Parade to face Newport County in my first awayday in charge and super Tommy Knowles scored his first hat-trick for the Saddlers in the 5-0 win over the Welsh team. Jamile Matt made in two goals in two goals getting on the scoresheet and finally veteran forward Andy Williams got his first goal of the campaign too. The back to back wins saw us go top of the table on goal difference.

We take a brief pause from league action as we enter the first round of the CARABAO CUP and traveled to The Memorial Stadium to face League One side Bristol Rovers. Both sides struggled throughout the game to carve any real chances until the 80th when a corner got delivered in and met by the head of on-loanee Douglas James-Taylor to get his first goal for the Saddlers and send us through into the second round in the 1-0 win over The Gas.

Back to LEAGUE TWO, as we welcome Stevenage to the Poundland Bescot Stadium. We are made to rue missed chances in a hard-fought battle as The Boro grab a late winner in the 1-0 game which condemned us to our first league defeat of the season. Jacob Maddox was forced off with an injury in the first half, however it looks like he will only be out for 2-3 weeks. On the road again, on a mild summers evening to face Barrow. The match ended in a 1-1 draw, with Isaac Hutchinson grabbing his first goal for the club before we were pegged back within minutes as Hayden White’s mistake was seized by one of their forwards.

We move into 5th place in the league following a goal-fest at Priestfield Stadium, home of Gillingham, as the Saddlers came out on top beating them 4-3. A cracking brace from Douglas James-Taylor saw us take an early lead on in this match but The Gills responded and we were level the before the break. Jamile Matt and Andy Williams both scored before they pulled one back in the 95th minute with the last kick of the game.

We get knocked out of the CARABAO CUP second round, losing at Carrow Road to The Canaries. We did take the lead early, thanks to super Tommy Knowles close range finish but the Championship side Norwich were to strong and beat us 2-1. They dominated for most of the game and we were just unlucky at the end of the day.

The Saddlers steal a narrow win over Grimsby Town as we return to LEAGUE TWO action following defeat in the cup. Jamile Matt and Andy Williams were again both on the scoresheet before Jack Earing who has returned from his injury got his first goal of the league campaign to help beat The Mariners 3-2, to send us into 3rd in the league.

Anyone for pizza…I mean, it’s the first game of three in the PAPA JOHNS TROPHY and we met the u21s of Southampton at the Poundland Bescot Stadium. The old boy Andy Williams scoring again, but it was Douglas James-Taylor who stole the show by getting his first hat-trick for the Saddlers in the 4-0 win.

SEPTEMBER

Jamile Matt was on target not once but twice in the LEAGUE ONE match against Bradford City and it was our third straight league win meaning we move up to 2nd place in the table.

From three to four straight wins in the league by Northampton Town at the Poundland Bescot Stadium. It was two second half goals from Jacob Maddox and Andy Williams as we brushed aside the Cobblers in the 2-0 victory in front of over 7K fans. I think the most we have had in real life this season is roughly six half thousand fans in the league.

The winning run is ended but the unbeaten run continues with Colchester United holding us to a 1-1 draw which saw us drop from 2nd to 3rd place in the league. Jamile Matt powerful header rescued a point as we trailed most of this game. However, we do still remind in the automatic promotion places so I am happy.

Top of the league the mighty Saddlers will go with an impressive 2-0 win over one of our promotion chasing rivals Leyton Orient. Stoke on loanee Douglas James-Taylor grabbing a brace for us in this win and it’s seven games now unbeaten in the league too. That’s four out of five aways games we have won.

The second game of the group stages of the PAPA JOHNS TROPHY sees us travel down to the south coast to play league one side Portsmouth. On a wet evening at Fratton Park, which I have been to that stadium a few times over the years when I lived now there, saw Pompey get a 1-0 win over us. They were a little to strong for us, meaning we have to win the final group game to get into the knockout rounds.

Still in 1st place, remain unbeaten and making it eight games without losing in LEAGUE TWO, correct. Andy Williams and Jamile Matt again, both on target in the 2-0 win over Tranmere Rovers. Saddlers fans are probably like me wishing these two were banging the goals in week in, week out, lol.

OCTOBER

In LEAGUE TWO, we travel to Edgeley Park, to face Stockport County and it was better late than never for the Saddlers and there were scenes of wild celebrations when Jamile Matt Struck to late goals to secure a point in a 2-2 fixture we should have really lost.

Then again, we count ourselves somewhat lucky to have escaped with a 1-1 draw against AFC Wimbledon at the Poundland Bescot Stadium. Yet again, Jamile Matt with another powerful header in the 51st minute to equalize and give us a point. That’s ten matches unbeaten league run now and remain in 1st place.

We are Walsall, more like Drawsall…We were cruising to all points following thanks to two goals from attacking midfielder Jack Earing, however two late goals from Mansfield Town meaning we share the points but we remain in 1st place after the game finished 2-2. That’s 11 games now in the league unbeaten.

In the final game of the group phase of the PAPA JOHNS TROPHY, Robbie Willmott hobbled off and looks like he maybe out for two months, but lets get back into the action and we secured our place in the knock out rounds by beating Gillingham 2-0 to finish in 2nd place in the group behind Portsmouth. Taylor Allen and Douglas James-Taylor with the goals for the Saddlers.

Walsall dropped of the top of LEAGUE TWO after recording a 1-1 draw against Sutton United with veteran forward Andy Williams scoring with a fluky goal. All goals count, fluky or not.

Owen Evans was definitely earn player of the match award in this game as he was the most busiest out the two, however it was the Saddlers who managed to put the ball into the net to win us and vital 1-0 win over Harrogate Town as Jamile Matt scored from 12 yards following a reckless tackle from one of The Sulphurites defenders.

The Dale lost ground in their race for promotion after losing 2-0 to the Saddlers on a breezy afternoon at the Poundland Bescot Stadium. Of course, veteran forward Andy Williams scored before super Tommy Knowles sealed the three points in the 92nd minutes with a well timed close range finish which leaves Rochdale outside of the playoffs.

LEAGUE TWO TABLE

At the start of the season we were predicted to be around mid-table and we are performing above expectations and currently sitting 2nd place in the league and only a point off top spot after 17 games and only losing once. Can this good run of form continue…

image-49.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

Buzzing to have started off well in this series as Walsall. I normally only play as the club I’ve supported in the BETA versions of this game, but this game, I thought why not and at least we are at the right end of the table, lol…

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback and questions and don’t forget to check out all the other blogs on here and you can follow me on Twitter here.

(FM23) Back In The Saddle – #2

Posted on 20 Mar 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-13.jpg?w=1024

I’m “Back In The Saddle” and hoping to take Walsall to “The Promise Land” of the Premier League as they have never been in the top flight of English football. Also, they were only 90 minutes away from Europe back in the 1983/84 season, so I am hoping that one day, the sounds of the Champions League music will echo around the Poundland Bescot Stadium…

Last episode: (FM23) Back In The Saddle – #1

ON THE PITCH

NOVEMBER

In the FA CUP first round, we traveled to the Woodside Road to face National League South side Worthing FC. In this game I decided to give debuts to the following Smith (on loan – Wolves), Baldwin, Robinson, Mukuna & Onabirekhanlen who were in the starting XI and it was the youngsters who stole the show. As Baldwin, Onabirekhanlen & Robinson with assists in the 4-0 win with Jack Earing, super Tommy Knowles but it was Jonas Mukuna who bagged himself a brace but it so could have been a hat-trick but his third was ruled offside.

We return to LEAGUE TWO action and come up against one of the league’s best defences and had to share the spoils with Crawley Town in the 1-1 draw. We fell behind after a minute but lucky for us, in-form forward Jamile Matt was on target to rescue a point for the Saddlers meaning we are currently on a 16 match unbeaten run and remain 2nd place in the league.

Out of the PAPA JOHNS TROPHY after Forest Green beat us 4-1 in the second round of this competition. Our heaviest defeat of the season of far and to rub salt in the wound’s, an ex-Walsall player scored a hat-trick against us, Amadou Bakayoko. Our goalscorer was Douglas James-Taylor but by then the tie was over.

Our veteran in-form forward Andy Williams grabs a brace in the 2-1 win at Brunton Park against Carlisle United and we remain in one of them automatic places in 2nd in LEAGUE TWO.

We again on our travels in another away match in the FA CUP as we play Woking FC, National League side in the second round. Super Tommy Knowles scores but it was a return of Connor Wilkinson in his first start of the season following a long injury. Buzzing to have Wilko back and scoring again even though he only played 30 minutes in the 2-0 win to set up a third round tie against a Premiership and it’s going to be in front of the Saddlers fans too.

DECEMBER

Another returning player from injury, As Matty Stevens scoring on his first start in LEAGUE TWO for the Saddlers as a super-sub to rescue a point against Doncaster Rovers in the 1-1 draw. It is nice to see playing returning and making an impact but like Wilkinson I won’t be pushing it on to them just yet to play week in, week out. Oh, by the way it’s now 17 games unbeaten in the league.

That unbeaten run comes to an end losing at the Peninsula Stadium 1-0. We still remain in 2nd place following the defeat to Salford City. We are also the top goalscorers with 37 goals in 21 matches.

Back to winning ways, beating AFC Wimbledon on an away day in the capital. Jamile Matt and Douglas James-Taylor on target for the Poundland reds in the 2-0 win.

Two goals from Jamile Matt sends the mighty Saddlers to the top of the league after a 2-1 win over Crewe at the Poundland Bescot Stadium. That’s 10 league games unbeaten now at home and you gotta make our home ground a fortress if you want to get promoted. Also, in this match, our in-form GK Owen Evans got injured and will likely be out for 4-5 weeks.

Walsall lose top spot in the very next game, drawing to Stockport County 1-1 at home. Jacob Maddox was on hand to rescue the Saddlers from defeat with his powerful strike late on in this match.

LEAGUE TWO TABLE

Still a point behind Leyton Orient in the race to win the league but I’d be happy if the league finished now because it would mean automatic promotion. But I want that title…

image-51.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

TRANSFER NEWS

I will start off with this news first. We received £3.51m from Brentford to buy out an outstanding clause that was part of the Rico Henry transfer deal and yes, all of that money has gone into our transfer budget. I could believe it really, well I can because I think on FM22, this happened in the beta and I spent it.

Before, the Rico money came in, I brought in former Saddlers defender Paul Downing in on a free transfer following his release from Portsmouth. After, the Rico money had cleared I wasted no time in brining in a former loanee Liam Bennett from Cambridge United, splashing out £325K which is a record transfer for the Saddlers.

Liam was on loan at the start of this season in real life before getting recalled to the U’s. I thought he was a class act for us and he slots in well at right back. If any Walsall fans are reading this, I am toying with bringing in Danny Johnson…

• michael-cox_-inbox-19.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-7-1.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-19.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-7-1.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

We are keeping up the pace for that race for promotion but there is still half the season to go but with that Rico Henry money could well happy us to secure a promotion place if I spend it wisely.

(FM23) Back In The Saddle – #3

Posted on 22 Mar 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-15.jpg?w=1024

Last episode: (FM23) Back In The Saddle – #2

ON THE PITCH

JANUARY

We go back to the top of LEAGUE TWO, following a 2-0 win over Mansfield Town. Connor Wilkinson is back amongst the goals for the Saddlers following is long absence from the first team due to injury scoring first in this game before Douglas James-Taylor sealing the win in the 92nd minute.

The FA CUP third round action takes place at the Poundland Bescot Stadium as we face Premiership side Chelsea. The Blues take an early lead, however, Jack Earing played his part in the match acting as a super sub for Walsall to come from behind to claim a draw against them and force a reply after the game ended 1-1.

League Two saw us travel to play Tranmere Rovers away and this match ended in a 1-1 draw. Both sides could and should have won it, if either team knew the offside rule, which I think cancelled three goals out if I am right. Ex-Walsall player scored for The Superwhites before Jamile Matt seized on a mistake to level the match and we move into 2nd place in the league.

FA CUP third replay at Stamford Bridge went in the way of the Premier League side Chelsea. I knew this was going to happen as we lost 4-2 on the night. They were too strong for us in this tie but still managed to score two goals against them, thanks to Jamile Matt and Isaac Hutchinson finding the net the shed end.

A strong and powerful performance in LEAGUE TWO as we brush aside Swindon Town 3-1. Matty Stevens scoring his first league goal for the club following his long absence due to injury as on-loanee Alex Robinson also got his first goal for the Saddlers before veteran Andy Williams finished off the scoring.

In the next game, we travel to The County Ground to face Swindon Town, hold on back to back games against the Robins? Yes, you read right, I think this was arrangement from earlier in the season and yes we won 3-2, this time. Matty Stevens got his second and third goal for the club before Douglas James-Taylor sealed the win. Ex-Walsall on-loanee Tyrese Shade scored for the Robins.

Connor Wilkinson brace helped us move back to the top of the league in the 2-1 win at home against Bradford City.

FEBRUARY

We face the Cobblers in the next match and in real life I actually took my boy to his first awayday and it was this fixture and it finished in a 0-0 draw which we slighty boring but the atmosphere was class and he loved. Back to FM and this match finished 1-1 with new signing in the January window from Cambridge Jack Lankester getting this first goal for the Saddlers.

As soon as we are top, we lose it…Defeated by Leyton Orient 1-0 and ended our 9 game undefeated run. Also, super Tommy Knowles is out of action for the next god knows when due to an ACL. What is it with Walsall players and ACL injuries. Joss Labadie been out all season with one and is out of contract this season, however I have a lot of respect for Joss so I will be giving him a new contract.

We beat Colchester United 3-1 with goals from Jack Lankester, Yann Songo’o and Douglas James-Taylor meaning we have won three out of the five away games in the league.

We welcome Welsh side Newport County to the Poundland Bescot Stadium and send them back to Wales with no points as we beat them 2-1 as Jamile Matt and outgoing in the summer midfielder Jacob Maddox both finding the back of the net.

Top of the league, even after being begged back from three one up to draw 3-3 against Hartlepool United. I swear, FM peeps must have written this in the coding as it happened in real life too. In that game, we were winning and then they scored two very late goals to rescue a point. In this match it happened much earlier but still, freaking as that this game and the Northampton game finished by the same score-line. Jamile Matt hat-trick for the Saddlers in this game on FM.

LEAGUE TWO TABLE

So, after two updates previously in this season, we were in second place and now in top spot. However with only 12 games to go can we win the league? I would still be happy if we finish in 2nd or 3rd place but it would be sweet to win this league title for the third time in our history.

image-53.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

Summer Outgoing And Recalled

So, in the summer we will be losing Ex-Chelsea youth player Jacob Maddox after only one season as he decided to join a non-league Portuguese side who in fact as offered him mental wages. But still luck in the future and he will still play him until the summer.

image-52.png?w=1024

I also decided to let Jackson Smith (GK) and Robbie Willmott (MID) rejoin their parent clubs Wolves and Newport respectively to free up some wages as Smith played once but Willmott did play 19 times but only as a sub.

michael-cox_-inbox-10.png
michael-cox_-inbox-11.png

New Signings, Three Of Them

Firstly, went back to Cambridge and brought in winger Jack Lankester for £300K. He has decent potential to be a Championship player. Also, brought in the following players in on loan for the rest of the season Alex Robertson (Man City), as someone over in a discord recommended him and then on deadline day, I thought I would strengthen the forward line by getting on (Arsenal) forward Khayon Edwards, who in fact is costing me nothing which is a bonus.

Lankester, has already performed and got a couple of goals already so hoping Robertson and Edwards and play key parts in the final run in of the season.

• michael-cox_-inbox-14.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-3-2.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-8.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-14.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-3-2.png?w=1024

FINAL WORDS

Still strong and finally in top spot at a blog write up. Let’s hope we can finish the season strong and hoping we take one of them automatic places and get back into League One.

(FM23) Back In The Saddle – #4

Posted on 24 Mar 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-17.jpg?w=1024

Last episode:

ON THE PITCH

MARCH – MAY

In the final 12 games of the season was all LEAGUE TWO action and saw you only lose once and that was in the 3-0 defeat to Crawley Town in the last but one game of the season with a much rotated squad as that I knew we would win the league in that game, no matter the result. Thinking back now, I should have just gone for it in that match but needed to see what fringe players I was going to sell or keep in the upcoming summer window.

Wins against Barrow 2-0 (Khayon Edwards & Douglas James-Taylor), Gillingham 3-1 (Jamile Matt, Jacob Maddox & Douglas James-Taylor), Grimsby Town 1-0 (Matty Stevens), Sutton United 1-0 (Alex Robertson), Carlisle United 4-1 (Douglas James-Taylor x2, Matty Stevens & Yann Songo’o) & Crewe 2-1 (Jack Lankester & Alex Robertson)

We only drew twice in this run in and they were against Rochdale 0-0 & Stevenage 1-1.

On loan Villa player Khayon Edwards in his last appearance for the Saddlers bagged a hat-trick in the 3-1 win over Doncaster Rovers in the last game of the season.

image-57.png?w=1024

LEAGUE TWO TABLE

Champions of LEAGUE TWO for the third time in our history.

image-54.png?w=1024

SEASON REVIEW

• michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-10.png
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review.png?w=
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-2.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-3.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-4.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-5.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-6.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-7.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-8.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-9.png?
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review-10.png
  • michael-cox_-end-of-season-review.png?w=
1 / 10

OFF THE PITCH

Another sell on clause, why not… This time it’s Elijah Adebayo who plays for Luton Town and we get a cool £1.5million, not the £3.5million we got for Rico Henry earlier on in the season, if you missed it. This will help us out for League One and now have a budget of around the £3million mark, as I have put some of this money into our scouting pot as it was really poor.

image-55.png?w=1024

Parent club, I’ll take the blue half of Manchester please. At this stage, I think I will try not to rely on loan players for League One, but it might be an option if we are hit with injuries throughout the season.

image-56.png?w=1024

Veterans Andy Williams and Peter Clarke, who the latter spent last season out on loan have now both retired football the professional game. Having seen both player’s play this season, I do believe if they are not with the Saddlers in real life next season, I still see both players playing on as they still can do the job.

• michael-cox_-inbox-29.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-28.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-29.png?w=1024
  • michael-cox_-inbox-28.png?w=1024

It was always nice to get recognition for our good season with myself winning manager of the year and our forward Jamile Matt winning the player of the year award.

michael-cox_-inbox-20.png
michael-cox_-inbox-19-1.png

FINAL WORDS

Really happy with how the season panned out and I know we will have to rebuild the squad slightly for League One and with the money that has came in over the season from buyout clauses, I think we will be in a very strong position for the season ahead.

Also, dropping over the weekend will be this…