Changing 48 team World Cup Format

itiadeadrian

I'm trying to edit the 48 team World Cup option to take on a format that uses 12 groups of 4 in the first round (2 advance), followed by 8 groups of 3 in the second round that leads to the quarters based on Spain 82. I've just started using the editor yesterday and it's not necessarily going to plan so maybe I maybe missing some things and would appreciate any help 

In the editor I've got 3 stages s etup; 2 in a group format and one in a cup

image.png.01068caf9fbb378795818d12ab0dc1bb.png

I've edited the Stage 0 appropriately

image.thumb.png.07b103fde2c5164e962cee0a6e7fb048.pngimage.thumb.png.51fedea5e4bb2478e57684cc9c1ba4e9.png

As is Stage 1

image.thumb.png.9bae2e9ab971488059788d9a37c87839.pngimage.thumb.png.d54d110cda5157861c8196571b95d706.png

I've also got the knockout stages prepped and mad sure that teams can move and are added in each round
image.thumb.png.3900745fe1f7dcc1466c9373a939e038.png

There was a period of time when I was testing the competitions and I didn't know how to add teams to my new stage even though I thought I had done it but was receiving a message that said "0 teams found for stage 1" so I while looking through I saw the fixture dates section and figured it wasn't finding teams because there where no games for the previous stage since the stuff there didn't match so I manually inputed the new schedule

image.thumb.png.3cd77471dc1f1fcf52c2af9bb78afc4b.png

Currently the error I get from testing is "The number of dates set in stage 8 of the competition is 0 but should be equal to 3" which is bizarre since I've but in all the fixtures myself 

Under the test when you check the schedule there's only the semi finals upwards and 7 group matchdays for which one of the dates doesn't match any of my entries and the other 6 line up with a few of the second round games despite the fact that the group names dont match up

image.thumb.png.dd6604dcd5992bae81a909172f5f5f3e.pngimage.thumb.png.265f7aab5d4fb5700164436163f662bf.png

I saw somewhere in the forum that you have to use a Fixed format but when I try that the World Cup doesn't show up in tests so I moved back to fexible

Can anyone please let me know what I'm doing wrong. 

You couldn't really have chosen a more difficult thing to start editing with. I'd highly recommend doing something simpler first to learn how the editor works. Especially something that you can do in simple rules first, then convert to advanced to see how it works. In the advanced editor you have to do everything manually, it won't do any of it for you.

So, for the WC, firstly how did you get access to the WC rules? There are a couple of guides here, but if you messed part of it up or didn't complete every stage that will cause issues. https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/540347-how-to-extract-continental-club-and-international-files-from-editor-tutorial/

With an increase to 4 teams in each group you'll have to adjust the number of matches. The WC has each individual group set with it's own fixtures, you'll need to edit those here to add the extra date. You'll need to do this for each group.

20221204201220_1.thumb.jpg.225d4d8339acbd436b220685eadec6d3.jpg

Looks like you've done it on the Fixture Dates page, you can link the group dates to the fixtures there, but you do still need to setup that link in the first place. You'll need to do the same for your second group stage too.

Then the WC typically inserts teams into the next stage via team mapping, that's how it's fixed to be 1st in group A vs 2nd in group B etc. It's fiddly, it's not the normal method for progressing teams to another stage and of course it doesn't work if you replace the cup stage they're being inserted into with another group stage. So instead you should delete the insert the league fate action on the Qualifications page that does that and do it the regular way instead. Set up a requirement on your 2nd group stage that references the first group stage, that will tell it not to setup until the first stage finishes (otherwise it won't have any teams yet) like this.

20221204201041_1.thumb.jpg.f3588b2eb8c5013c53266e06cc68f31e.jpg

Then set up an instruction on the 2nd group stage to get qualified teams, like this. The stage index and main stage name should match exactly with the instructions on the earlier stage's Qualification page.

20221204201053_1.thumb.jpg.f29f47d8a20ae60e66f14f112f24aa9a.jpg

The default for the WC should be Stage = 0 and Main Stage Name = Second Round.

You'll then need to setup qualifying for your 2nd group stage, like this in the league settings page.

20221204201830_1.thumb.jpg.9b9def3de7a9ee8e5b17eb60ae99deaa.jpg

Except changed to what you need. So top places = 1? Whatever the name of the next stage is, Quarter Finals? And the stage index of the knockout rounds, probably 2.

Then setup similar Requirements/Teams pages for the knockout rounds that reference the 2nd group stage (probably Stage index 1) and match the qualifying instructions exactly, to get the teams into the knockout stage.

Hi,

Thank You so much for responding

The fixture issue is fixed

I got the rules by following the instructions in that link you added

The requirements thing causes failure since I think once qualification is achieved it wants to slot the team into the next round, so I didn't use that and it works ok for moving to the second round and it also wasn't set up in the cup stage initially.
The two things that aren't working rn are that

A) it insists on scheduling the opening game as a second round group Aon the Sunday before it kicks off despite the fact that I used the dates that were there by default to set everything up and the initial date was Thursday the 11th of June. I feel this happens because the opening game is usually a group A game and World Cups start on sundays but letter groups were in the 2nd round in 82, thats what I followed and I'm praying you have a solution that doesn't involve me renaming all the groups. When you check the matches it actually plays the game after the initial group stage ends but it essentially pulls all the Group A games into happening 2 days early

image.thumb.png.3b0adab66538589abe5182813c62e317.pngimage.thumb.png.c61a480ccaddb892fcdfe9c6c987cc01.png

B) The Quaterfinals simply don't exist for some reason

image.thumb.png.ff7e5d1c2cbb9154e341d3b47e106969.pngimage.thumb.png.6bb4872f2957fcce7761c4aa6964c21e.png

They don't feature in the schedule or match list or anything from the test, but I've got their dates and their match mappings setup and Qualification from the groups is also set in the rules

image.thumb.png.21c9961124fd2ade2cdac939bd8dfafe.pngimage.thumb.png.ab9bb9f10ebf2cb3d47a7b8c2785c204.pngimage.thumb.png.d9f311e6bf029e35a086ff6a298b3bdd.png

************UPDATE***********

Ok so I've got the Quaters to show up, referencing the default format you have to say the number of teams joining the first cup round and then set number entering the next round to 0

However now the Semi Finals and Third Place don't generate in the schedule even tho they show in the side menu

image.thumb.png.4502239147e9d9dbcb215fe03098fdfc.png

I've also got 2 more queries tho not necessarily vital if they can't be done

Is it possible for me to predetermine the groups in the second stage via team mappings, for example Group A would be Group 1 winner and second place from Groups 3 and 6

And even less important, in this stage while there was a predetermined match order if the first game was won then the winner would have their second game take place last both as a reward and to avoid anybody having to play a dead rubber match or the group being decided early, I wan't to know if it's possible to replicate but if not or if too complex then I don't mind not having it

Thank you again for your help

Edited by itiadeadrian

Hello my friend

I want to ask you something

I use a file in FM22 which increases the teams from 32 to 40 teams in WC 2026 and onwards. But the first two teams only proceed.. I want to create a round of 24 teams which the first two teams plus the 3rd teams from each group will play together..

Is it easy to create or will it mess up?

On 04/12/2022 at 13:26, itiadeadrian said:

Hi,

Thank You so much for responding

The fixture issue is fixed

I got the rules by following the instructions in that link you added

The requirements thing causes failure since I think once qualification is achieved it wants to slot the team into the next round, so I didn't use that and it works ok for moving to the second round and it also wasn't set up in the cup stage initially.
The two things that aren't working rn are that

A) it insists on scheduling the opening game as a second round group Aon the Sunday before it kicks off despite the fact that I used the dates that were there by default to set everything up and the initial date was Thursday the 11th of June. I feel this happens because the opening game is usually a group A game and World Cups start on sundays but letter groups were in the 2nd round in 82, thats what I followed and I'm praying you have a solution that doesn't involve me renaming all the groups. When you check the matches it actually plays the game after the initial group stage ends but it essentially pulls all the Group A games into happening 2 days early

image.thumb.png.3b0adab66538589abe5182813c62e317.pngimage.thumb.png.c61a480ccaddb892fcdfe9c6c987cc01.png

B) The Quaterfinals simply don't exist for some reason

image.thumb.png.ff7e5d1c2cbb9154e341d3b47e106969.pngimage.thumb.png.6bb4872f2957fcce7761c4aa6964c21e.png

They don't feature in the schedule or match list or anything from the test, but I've got their dates and their match mappings setup and Qualification from the groups is also set in the rules

image.thumb.png.21c9961124fd2ade2cdac939bd8dfafe.pngimage.thumb.png.ab9bb9f10ebf2cb3d47a7b8c2785c204.pngimage.thumb.png.d9f311e6bf029e35a086ff6a298b3bdd.png

************UPDATE***********

Ok so I've got the Quaters to show up, referencing the default format you have to say the number of teams joining the first cup round and then set number entering the next round to 0

However now the Semi Finals and Third Place don't generate in the schedule even tho they show in the side menu

image.thumb.png.4502239147e9d9dbcb215fe03098fdfc.png

I've also got 2 more queries tho not necessarily vital if they can't be done

Is it possible for me to predetermine the groups in the second stage via team mappings, for example Group A would be Group 1 winner and second place from Groups 3 and 6

And even less important, in this stage while there was a predetermined match order if the first game was won then the winner would have their second game take place last both as a reward and to avoid anybody having to play a dead rubber match or the group being decided early, I wan't to know if it's possible to replicate but if not or if too complex then I don't mind not having it

Thank you again for your help

You can do that match scheduling thing (it's a stage flag I think) but i think it's broken as it won't respect your offset dates.

I have a 48 team world cup file in the download section with a similar format, check it out if you're still struggling. Sounds like an issue with "next round for winner"

On 07/12/2022 at 07:46, vassilispyrgos said:

Hello my friend

I want to ask you something

I use a file in FM22 which increases the teams from 32 to 40 teams in WC 2026 and onwards. But the first two teams only proceed.. I want to create a round of 24 teams which the first two teams plus the 3rd teams from each group will play together..

Is it easy to create or will it mess up?

Hi 
This is my first time ever using the editor so I'm not sure if I best person to ask, but figuring it out with stuff from the forum shouldn't be too hard, its just very annoying because everything is hands on and manual and it's easy to miss why something isn't working

14 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

You can do that match scheduling thing (it's a stage flag I think) but i think it's broken as it won't respect your offset dates.

I have a 48 team world cup file in the download section with a similar format, check it out if you're still struggling. Sounds like an issue with "next round for winner"

Yeah the issue was next round for winner, my brain just assumend they meant stages so despite staring at blantly wrong values it didn't click

How do you test and verify files? I followed the instructions on the forum post about extracting international competitions and I deleted the lines they said to but now when I want to test the rules it says there's no division and I don't know what to do since it's grayed out
image.png.6e2d28c4c1676bc6f6d8e12ed2ed3b0e.png

Looks like it still recognises it as a nation rules, rather than international rules, file. Did you accidentally miss part of the process?

Personally I don't use the xml editing method for international rules so can't offer much advice. Too complicated for me.

I got stuck on that at first. Try copying and pasting the entire rules. So copy them, then re-load the editor, start a new "international rules", convert to advanced rules, and then paste the rules into here. This would lose any DB changes from your database though so if you've done a bunch of those, follow one of the other methods on here

EDIT: might also work just to go into the advanced rules, on the left where the comps are, under "list" (middle of the screen) duplicate one of the entries, and then go to that entry and change it from "competition" to "rules". Then you should be able to change that further to "international rules" and play with universal fixture rules, discipline rules etc if you're so inclined. The game needs that "rules" setup (think of the rules fo the country itself when you're doing a custom league) to test and verify (and set things up in-game) (further edit: this doesn't work (see below))

Edited by themodelcitizen

8 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

EDIT: might also work just to go into the advanced rules, on the left where the comps are, under "list" (middle of the screen) duplicate one of the entries, and then go to that entry and change it from "competition" to "rules". Then you should be able to change that further to "international rules" and play with universal fixture rules, discipline rules etc if you're so inclined. The game needs that "rules" setup (think of the rules fo the country itself when you're doing a custom league) to test and verify (and set things up in-game)

That doesn't work, whatever the rules were initially setup as is what the editor treats them as regardless of any changes made.

I recently tried to copy over league rules from one nation to another by just changing all references from the 1st nation and their competitions to a different nation. The editor/game still recognised it as an editor file for the original nation despite having no rules or competitions there anymore.